Lone Star Classic Drumline Contest- 11/20/21

Forget grand nationals, THIS is the real climax of the marching season! The 29th Annual Lone Star Classic Drumline Contest is this Saturday at Marcus. Schedule below! This contest struggles a bit with attendance on years when Marcus goes to nationals because it's so late, but this is a pretty great line up!

Standstill II Red-

10:00am- Bishop Dunne

10:12am- Frisco Memorial

10:24am- Sunnyvale

10:36am- John Horn

10:48am- Elkhart

11:00am- Atlanta

11:12am- Greenville

11:24am- R.L. Turner

11:36am- Newman Smith

Standstill II Silver-

12:00pm- Midlothian

12:12pm- Coppell JV

12:24pm- Tyler Legacy

12:36pm- Lebanon Trail

-BREAK-

1:24pm- Springtown

1:36pm- Nimitz

1:48pm- Wylie

2:00pm- Pine Tree

Standstill I Red-

2:36pm- Prestonwood Christian

2:48pm- Alvin

3:00pm- Weiss

3:12pm- Byron Nelson

-BREAK-

3:48pm- Grapevine

4:00pm- Plano

4:12pm- Highland Park

Standstill I Silver-

5:00pm- Forney

5:12pm- Richland

5:24pm- Coppell Varsity

5:36pm- Hebron

5:48pm- Cedar Park

6:00pm- Marcus (exhibition)

6:15pm- AWARDS

17 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Pretty strong lineup with Coppell, Hebron, and Cedar Park attending. I know Vandegrift used to come here too but it looks like they haven't been back in a few years. Should be a good competition.

No kidding! Should be a very good and thoroughly entertaining contest! 

43 minutes ago, VinoGirl said:

What is the difference between the two different divisions? 

I believe Silver is for larger drumlines and red is for smaller. D1 are advanced and D2 are novice, though it's up to each drumline to choose between D1 and D2, so sometimes you'll see some pretty strong drumlines competing in D2 and vice versa.

Did anyone happen to catch the D2 results?

Full Results are out!! Recaps here: https://lonestarclassic-dlc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-LSC-Scoring.pdf

Standstill II Red-

1. John Horn HS- 88.00 (Front Ensemble, Snare)

2. Newman Smith HS- 87.33 (Bass)

3. Sunnyvale HS- 76.00

4. R.L. Turner HS- 75.67

5. Atlanta HS- 73.00

6. Elkhart HS- 72.33*

7. Frisco Memorial HS- 72.33* (Tenor)

8. Greenville HS- 71.00

9. Bishop Dunne HS- 58.67 (Cymbal)

*tie broken with 2nd tiebreaker using Performance Effect score

Standstill II Silver-

1. Midlothian HS- 88.00 (Front Ensemble, Bass, Tenor, Snare)

2. Tyler Legacy HS- 85.83

3. Lebanon Trail HS- 85.00

4. Coppell HS JV- 83.33

5. Pine Tree HS- 81.00

6. Springtown HS- 79.67

7. Nimitz HS- 74.67

Standstill I Red-

1. Highland Park HS- 92.00 (Front Ensemble, Snare)

2. Byron Nelson HS- 89.83 (Bass, Tenor)

3. Weiss HS- 85.67

4. Grapevine HS- 81.83

5. Alvin HS- 81.33*

6. Plano Sr. HS- 81.33* (Cymbal)

7. Prestonwood Christian- 63.33

*tie broken by execution score

Standstill I Silver-

1. Cedar Park HS- 96.00

2. Coppell HS- 95.83 (Bass, Tenor, Snare)

3. Hebron HS- 93.33 (Front Ensemble)

4. Forney HS- 89.50 (Cymbal)

5. Richland HS- 89.00

Some things that jump out to me-

• This is Cedar Park's 4th Caldwell Cup (highest score overall), having previously won in 2009, 2017 and 2020. I'm pretty certain this is the most of any school, though results from the 1990s are unavailable.
  • Though the caption awards have no bearing on your actual placement, it's still notable that Cedar Park won without taking a single caption. Not sure I've ever seen that happen.
  • Coppell has really established themselves as a drumline powerhouse in the last few years. After breaking through with a Caldwell Cup win in 2019, they haven't missed a beat. Also, their non-varisty handily outscored several other schools' top groups. Very impressive.
  • Is John Horn back??? I'm sure many of you are aware that it wasn't that long ago that Horn had a brief but glorious run as one of the absolute best drumlines in the country from about 2012-2014, absolutely dominating this contest in those years. They fell off pretty abruptly after that, but this is unquestionably their strongest finish here since then.
  • Lastly, as a former bass line section leader at Newman Smith, I have to shout them out for taking the bass caption here. Very proud!

47 minutes ago, bingogooberman said:

• This is Cedar Park's 4th Caldwell Cup (highest score overall), having previously won in 2009, 2017 and 2020. I'm pretty certain this is the most of any school, though results from the 1990s are unavailable.
  • Though the caption awards have no bearing on your actual placement, it's still notable that Cedar Park won without taking a single caption. Not sure I've ever seen that happen.
  • Coppell has really established themselves as a drumline powerhouse in the last few years. After breaking through with a Caldwell Cup win in 2019, they haven't missed a beat. Also, their non-varisty handily outscored several other schools' top groups. Very impressive.
  • Is John Horn back??? I'm sure many of you are aware that it wasn't that long ago that Horn had a brief but glorious run as one of the absolute best drumlines in the country from about 2012-2014, absolutely dominating this contest in those years. They fell off pretty abruptly after that, but this is unquestionably their strongest finish here since then.
  • Lastly, as a former bass line section leader at Newman Smith, I have to shout them out for taking the bass caption here. Very proud!

Cedar Park also won in 2011

1 hour ago, bingogooberman said:

Pretty sure it was Doug Bush leading John Horn at the time with Patricia Islas, both of whom are now with coppell.

2 hours ago, RodanSt said:

Cedar Park also won in 2011

Yes, you're right, though technically speaking the highest score overall that year was Azle in D2 Silver with a 94.67. If memory serves me correctly, at that time, if a D2 group posted the highest score, even when judged by an entirely separate panel as they were in those days, they'd recognize them as the highest scoring group, even though Cedar Park was in all likelihood the stronger drumline. It happened again the next year when LBJ HS in Austin had the highest score, again in D2 Silver, while John Horn had the highest D1 score of the night.

Unless I'm totally making all this up, lol, the first time I distinctly remember the Caldwell Cup going to the highest scoring D1 group when a D2 group had technically outscored them was Cedar Ridge in 2016 with Forney posting a higher score in D2. Now the contest is a bit smaller and usually has just one panel so it doesn't matter anymore.