UIL 2022-24 Realignment Thread

1 hour ago, BandFan95 said:

That's bizarre. I mean, the Pflugerville schools used to district with RRISD and LISD. If I'm not mistaken, it used to be the 5 RRISD schools along with 3 LISD schools AND Hendrickson. This is when they were still 6A and so was Leander High. It would be silly to send them to district with Temple and  Bryan.

Agreed. I like Stepp, but I hope his predictions are wrong. He also has Summit in a district that stretches down to Belton and Killeen as well plus Ennis and Corsicana. That's a no fun district.

But at the same time, when you're the only school in the ISD in that division, you're at the mercy of UIL. There are a lot of different ways this can break in February. I don't envy the job the UIL has to do (especially across six classifications).

On 12/8/2021 at 10:45 AM, ViewFromTheBox said:

So based off of that numbers, here are a few key items to note:

- Highland Park makes the jump up to 6A again (UIL confirming that there is, in fact, NOT a HP conspiracy).
- Rouse and Mansfield Summit sneak into 5A DII by the skin of their teeth (Rouse 1923 and Summit 1922.5).
- 5A DII loses perennial football power Aledo, but also gains Argyle, Melissa and Austin LBJ which will definitely shake things up.

Other than that, I don't think there are too many surprises really. The next bit of fun will come on Feb. 1 when the districts are announced (and then of course there will be the TMEA region/area changes as well, I believe).

i knew about Argyle and Melissa moving into 5A DII, but I didn't realize that LBJ Austin was also moving up. This will be interesting to see how these teams play facing new teams that they either haven't faced in some time or the first time. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, ReveriesOp24 said:

I agree that Area D will be very interesting.

Chaparral will provide some relief to Harker Heights and Ellison, which are currently way above capacity. Those two will either be really small 6A's or really big 5A's, depending on UIL's cutoffs, and depending on how many people who are in the Chaparral attendance zone stay at their current school. Killeen and Shoemaker will probably remain 6A, but will just be smaller 6A schools.

Belton and Harker Heights did pretty well at Area this year (I'm not sure about Belton but Heights got the highest scores and placement in their history, and were 1 ordinal point away from Belton) ranking 11th and 12th respectively. Seeing them going down to 5A will make 5A Area D interesting, especially with Dripping Springs and Weiss going up to 6A, and Lake Belton moving up to 5A after going to state 2 years in a row.

Correction: All of Killeen will most likely be 5A except maybe Harker Heights unless they raise the cutoff above 2285

H. Heights is beginning to get the attention they’ve worked hard for. As a Harker Heights grad and band alum it’s exciting to see them progressively get better and how they did this year. They were soooo close to Area finals. :( With the realignment they’ll be one of the smallest bands- just hoping they keep that momentum. Weiss, Johnson and Dripping Springs added to the mix will pose even greater competition. I still have faith as they make progress yearly. 

6A Area D is looking more difficult to get out of. That said with Belton now 5A and given their results no doubt they’ll be state qualifiers soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy realignment day everyone! The UIL has released all of the district alignments for 2022-2024. I know that for a band perspective, the big date was with the classification list that came out in December, but this will tell bands where they are going for some Friday nights in the fall.

https://realignment.uiltexas.org/

Very happy with Summit's football district draw. About the best possible from a travel perspective. Likely seeing Summit and Ennis contend for the District 5-5A DII title with Burleson and Midlothian Heritage potentially playing spoiler.

• 2 months later...

Oooh look, the TMEA alignment for the next two years is out now: https://www.tmea.org/regions/alignment/

On first glance, not a whole lot of movement in terms of marching band that we didn't already know (like groups moving up or down a classification). Two things that kind of stuck out to me: two-time defending 4A state champ Argyle will make its 5A debut in Area B, and Highland Park will slot into 6A Area B.

• 3 months later...

I guess this might technically fall under a 2024-2026 Realignment thread (or later), but this is something to keep an eye on.

The THSCA Coaches School was this weekend in San Antonio, and the UIL Deputy Director, Dr. Jamie Harrison, had a press conference in which he was asked perpetual question about a potential Class 7A and when we might see it. He didn't give a definitive answer, and he did a good job explaining what all has to go on in that decision. But I'm thinking the earliest we see a 7A is the 2026-2028 alignment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...