UIL 2022-24 Realignment Thread

Looking around at the posted snapshot numbers, thank you football coaches and parents who post that all over the twitter-versešŸ˜‚, it's amazing and crazy the sizes schools are reaching across the state.

Looking at the numbers posted online from KISD, the SMALLEST school that just opened, already has over two-thousandĀ students! Every other school has well over three thousand students. LISD, AISD, CISD, etc. allĀ haveĀ schools well over the two-thousand five hundred number - which not saying that it's the number, but lets be honest, the cutoff number will more likely than not be 2250-ish.Ā Ā 

Would not be surprised at all with an additional 7A classification added with the number of schools growing to larger and larger sizes. VERY curious to see and hear what happens in the discussions and legislative sessions in the future to see how they handle this continued growth.Ā 

Courtesy of the 6A Texas Football forums, we have full projections for who will be the top 250 that will make up 6A. I took their data and figured out what the areas will look like assuming no changes to the alignments. Schools with asterisks* are new to 6A, those in (parentheses) are dropping to 5A. The number at the top is how many State spots there would have been with the Region results with the new Area lineups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MBXo5_rkJB-s5hhlOWGUrp9qQ_4ySg4aUg6lAvSeL1M/edit?usp=sharing

By far the most interesting Area is D, with 8 dropping and only 5 coming back up. Belton now has less enrollment than Lake Belton, making them both 5A. Killeen is opening a new school (Killeen Chaparral) and has pulled significantly from all 4 schools. The addition of Comal's Davenport and Pieper pull enrollment from Smithson Valley. Hays and MG Johnson switch places.Ā Dripping Springs, Weiss, and Manor passĀ the 6A threshold. Waco ebbs back down into 5A. This obviously makes 5A Area D an incredibly exciting Area now, with so many new contenders and only 1 state qualifier moving up.Ā 

Because Area B wasn't competitive enough... Haha

They really ought to do some realignment in the DFW areas.Ā  I know in the past a few districts were put in the area with the west Texas groups (Northwest ISD and Keller ISD for sure and maybe more).Ā  This would help reduce the numbers in area B and also make it less difficult for other contenders to go to State, but it wouldn't be cool to make them travel so far or for the west Texas groups to have to compete with DFW groups.

Ā 

Ā 

To throw a bit of a more interesting twist into this, apparently at the October UIL Legislative Council meeting, the Music standing committee at least started to look into creating a Division I and II for marching band similar to how it is with football. I will be honest and I have no idea if it will advance past a "just look into it" stage and if it will even be voted on, but that might be a tool in the tool belt to relieve some of the pressure as so many bands become more and more competitive, especially in the DFW and Austin regions.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Music_October_2021_Agenda.pdf

Just to state the obvious and that we're all on the same page, this won't happen until the 2024-2026 cycle at the earliest and there's still a long way to go. Still, it's something interesting to think about for the future.

16 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

To throw a bit of a more interesting twist into this, apparently at the October UIL Legislative Council meeting, the Music standing committee at least started to look into creating a Division I and II for marching band similar to how it is with football. I will be honest and I have no idea if it will advance past a "just look into it" stage and if it will even be voted on, but that might be a tool in the tool belt to relieve some of the pressure as so many bands become more and more competitive, especially in the DFW and Austin regions.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Music_October_2021_Agenda.pdf

Just to state the obvious and that we're all on the same page, this won't happen until the 2024-2026 cycle at the earliest and there's still a long way to go. Still, it's something interesting to think about for the future.

If (when) the UIL creates 7A, they will also have to decide if 7A will be separate division for marching band. Ā I assume they will do so, and potentially create Division I and II for the lower classifications as well. Ā I think the 7A classification will be at most 125 schools (i.e. roughly half the size of other classifications), and maybe even smaller.

I wonder, though, if only school size is the best way to classify for marching band. Ā The UIL has already added a state contest for military marching bands. Ā USBands held the inaugural "Show Up and Show Out" contest this year for Traditional/Showstyle marching bands (which was won by Cedar Hill, who are an outstanding showstyle band. Ā They got a standing ovation from the Allen crowd after their halftime show when CH visited Allen this year). Ā Maybe it would make sense for the UIL to have three marching style state champion contest tracks (Corp, Show, and Military) instead of creating 2 divisions in each classification. Ā I'm betting there are a fair number of high schools that are currently doing corp style shows that would change toĀ show style if there was a UIL contest path that supported it. Ā Like military, show style would have it's own rules/rubric. Ā For example, the military band rubric specifies no props or electronics are allowed in the show.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, abtwitch said:

By far the most interesting Area is D, with 8 dropping and only 5 coming back up. Belton now has less enrollment than Lake Belton, making them both 5A. Killeen is opening a new school (Killeen Chaparral) and has pulled significantly from all 4 schools. The addition of Comal's Davenport and Pieper pull enrollment from Smithson Valley. Hays and MG Johnson switch places.Ā Dripping Springs, Weiss, and Manor passĀ the 6A threshold. Waco ebbs back down into 5A. This obviously makes 5A Area D an incredibly exciting Area now, with so many new contenders and only 1 state qualifier moving up.Ā 

I agree that Area D will be very interesting.

Chaparral will provide some relief to Harker Heights and Ellison, which are currently way above capacity. Those two will either be really small 6A's or really bigĀ 5A's, depending on UIL's cutoffs, and depending on how many people who are in the Chaparral attendance zone stay at their current school. Killeen and Shoemaker will probably remain 6A, but will just be smaller 6A schools.

Belton and Harker Heights did pretty well at Area this year (I'm not sure about Belton but Heights got the highest scores and placement in their history, and were 1 ordinal point away from Belton) ranking 11th and 12th respectively. Seeing them going down to 5A will make 5A Area D interesting, especially with Dripping Springs and Weiss going up to 6A, and Lake Belton moving up to 5A after going to state 2 years in a row.

Ā 

Correction: All of Killeen will most likely be 5A except maybe Harker Heights unless they raise the cutoff above 2285

2 hours ago, AllenBandDad said:

The UIL hasn't announced it yet. Ā After getting all of the enrollment numbers, they will then follow this process:

1) 6A will have at least 220-250 schools (historically always close to 250) + opt ups

2) 5A will be at least 200 schools, with the biggest school being no more than 2X the size of the smallest school

If I remember correctly, the UIL will release the school enrollment numbers and conference cutoff numbers in early December, but they can be revised up until the new district alignments are released in January/February.

My best guess is that 5A will be aroundĀ 2250 (since Highland Park turned in 2245.5Ā šŸ˜‰) at the top end, and around 1125 at the bottom.

Ok thank you! I was asking because the school I graduated from, Melissa HS, turned in 1312, and so I was wanting to know if there was a high chance they would move up since Argyle is most likely moving up as well. Thank you again!

6 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Ok thank you! I was asking because the school I graduated from, Melissa HS, turned in 1312, and so I was wanting to know if there was a high chance they would move up since Argyle is most likely moving up as well. Thank you again!

Considering that the previous 5A range was 1230 - 2219, I think it is very likely Melissa goes 5A. Ā It just depends on how much the current 5A schools have grown.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, LostChoirGuy said:

Because Area B wasn't competitive enough... Haha

They really ought to do some realignment in the DFW areas.Ā  I know in the past a few districts were put in the area with the west Texas groups (Northwest ISD and Keller ISD for sure and maybe more).Ā  This would help reduce the numbers in area B and also make it less difficult for other contenders to go to State, but it wouldn't be cool to make them travel so far or for the west Texas groups to have to compete with DFW groups.

Ā 

Ā 

Do you think the west Texas bands really want to have to mess with Keller again?Ā  And now add Timber Creek to that mix?Ā  In 2014 they were able to successfully get the old Area A split into zones just to avoid that.Ā Ā 

7A on the band front would be interesting. A lot of the heavy hitters would move up.

An interesting note would be how UIL would operate state contests. I imagine 7A would be hosted with the 2A, 3A, 5A rotation, however with needing added dates for the contest Iā€™m not sure how UIL would go about securing the Alamodome for that slightly extended time.

3 hours ago, bancl said:

Do you think the west Texas bands really want to have to mess with Keller again?Ā  And now add Timber Creek to that mix?Ā  In 2014 they were able to successfully get the old Area A split into zones just to avoid that.Ā Ā 

Definitely not.Ā  That's why I brought it up in my comment.

So Matt Stepp of DCTF is going through class/district alignments for the upcoming realignment for DCTF subscribers.

For Summit, he has the Jags in district 4-5A DII along with Belton, Burleson, Corsicana, Ennis, Joshua, Killeen Chaparral, Midlothian Heritage and Waco University.

Hard pass on that district. Just so much not to like about that pairing. Nothing against any particular school, but it feels like a bunch of random leftovers.

Football wise, it's not a bad district for Summit. Them and Ennis will be the class of the district with the John Kitna-led Burleson Elks right behind and a wild card with Midlo Heritage.

But the travel in this district is just nuts. Having to drive to Waco, Belton and Killeen is killer, especially during contest season. Plus with a nine team district, there's only room for two non-district games and one of those has to be Mansfield.

But looking at the rest of the realignment projections for 5A DII, I don't know where else any of these schools go to. Bleh.

So the realignment cutoff numbers are now out: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Conference_Cutoffs_2022-24_Alignment.pdf

Class 6A: 2225+
Class 5A: 1300-2224
Class 4A: 545-1299
Class 3A: 250-544
Class 2A: 105-249
Class 1A: 104.9 and below

Division cutoff numbers for football (5A and below) for anyone interested in those numbers as well:

5A DI: 1925-2224
5A DII: 1300-1924
4A DI: 880-1299
4A DII: 545-879
3A DI: 360-544
3A DII: 250-359
2A DI: 164.5-249
2A DII: 105-165.4
1A DI: 59.5-104.9
1A DII: 59.4 and below

So based off of that numbers, here are a few key items to note:

- Highland Park makes the jump up to 6A again (UIL confirming that there is, in fact, NOT a HP conspiracy).
- Rouse and Mansfield Summit sneak into 5A DII by the skin of their teeth (Rouse 1923 and Summit 1922.5).
- 5A DII loses perennial football power Aledo, but also gains Argyle, Melissa and Austin LBJ which will definitely shake things up.

Other than that, I don't think there are too many surprises really. The next bit of fun will come on Feb. 1 when the districts are announced (and then of course there will be the TMEA region/area changes as well, I believe).

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, NEPats said:

Round Rock ISDā€™s $572 million bond package was voted down a few years ago by mostly those on the Travis county side. Round Rock high school built a new school a few years ago. They were suppose to tear down the old school but to my knowledge it is still being used in some capacity. It's mega school. I don't think there are any plans at the moment to build a new school.

This is true. However, theĀ plans have already been laid out.Ā  Heck even TMEA has Pearson Ranch High School listed on their site.Ā 

So Matt Stepp actually has Weiss going to District 12-6A (Region II) with Bryan, Copperas Cove, Template, Waco Midway, Hutto, and Killeen Harker Heights (although I want to note that the projection came out before today's numbers). He also has Dripping bunking with the Austin 6A schools plus Westlake and Lake Travis and Manor with Buda Johnson, Cibolo Steele, San Marcos and the like.

That Weiss district would be a lot of travel though.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, abtwitch said:

Courtesy of the 6A Texas Football forums, we have full projections for who will be the top 250 that will make up 6A. I took their data and figured out what the areas will look like assuming no changes to the alignments. Schools with asterisks* are new to 6A, those in (parentheses) are dropping to 5A. The number at the top is how many State spots there would have been with the Region results with the new Area lineups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MBXo5_rkJB-s5hhlOWGUrp9qQ_4ySg4aUg6lAvSeL1M/edit?usp=sharing

I am updating this now with the official numbers!

3 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

So Matt Stepp actually has Weiss going to District 12-6A (Region II) with Bryan, Copperas Cove, Template, Waco Midway, Hutto, and Killeen Harker Heights (although I want to note that the projection came out before today's numbers). He also has Dripping bunking with the Austin 6A schools plus Westlake and Lake Travis and Manor with Buda Johnson, Cibolo Steele, San Marcos and the like.

That Weiss district would be a lot of travel though.

That's bizarre. I mean, the Pflugerville schools used to district with RRISD and LISD. If I'm not mistaken, it used to be the 5 RRISD schools along with 3 LISD schools AND Hendrickson. This is when they were still 6A and so was Leander High. It would be silly to send them to district with Temple andĀ  Bryan.