UIL 2022-24 Realignment Thread

Hey all!

So it's just about that time of year ... err, well every two years ... where the UIL realigns all of the schools into the correct classifications (and divisions for football) based on school size and and then groups them into districts for athletics and academics.

First up is Snapshot Day, which is Oct. 29. The enrollment of schools on this day will be what the UIL will use to figure out the cutoffs for the classifications and sort schools into said classifications. If you're new here, there are six classifications (though we might see a seventh in a couple of years).

Next, the UIL will generally release the cutoff numbers some time in early December. There's no real set date for that, it just kind of happens.

And then finally on Feb. 1, the UIL will release the full realignment breakdown with the districts for various athletic and academic competitions (seriously, by my count there are 11 different variations of the 2020-22 realignment for various sports).

What does that mean for band? Well, the biggest affect this will have is who is in what classification. Will somebody move up or down a class. And depending on which schools move around, it could impact that Area for marching band. I want to say that TMEA will also be realigning the regions and areas once the UIL realignment comes out, but I don't remember for sure, so don't quote me on that.

And if you want a video version of the breakdown on realignment, Dave Campbell's Texas Football did a great job of it two years ago.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

What does that mean for band? Well, the biggest affect this will have is who is in what classification. Will somebody move up or down a class. And depending on which schools move around, it could impact that Area for marching band. I want to say that TMEA will also be realigning the regions and areas once the UIL realignment comes out, but I don't remember for sure, so don't quote me on that.

Yes, TMEA reviews the music region/area alignments every two years, after the UIL updates school classifications.  The music regions are realigned based on all-region/all-state participation numbers, so that there is a more even spread of participants across regions.

Mansfield Legacy is floating right around 6A enrollment numbers. They'd be a really small 6A if they moved up. 

The opening of another charter on S. Cooper could move Mansfield Summit down to 5A Division 2.  The Charter won't draw the talented band kids - no offense to Charters but they have been easy to find at All-Region. Dead last on the results page - but it will pull the overall enrollment down. 

Today is Snapshot Day! Enrollment numbers will be rolling in throughout the day. It looks like Dave Campbell's Texas Football will be compiling a list that's outside of their paywall, so I will link it below. I will also just post numbers that might have some intrigue for us band people. Let me know if that link changes to subscribers only at some point today.

https://www.texasfootball.com/static-page/?url=uil-realignment-snapshots

CTJ - 3264 (Will easily stay 6A)

Mansfield - 2587 (Easily 6A)

Burleson Centennial - 2063 (Likely will remain 5A unless the cutline drops for the first time in who knows how long)

Mansfield Timberview - 1975 (Will remain 5A, though maybe they move up to 5A DI for football?)

45 minutes ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

Although I am thoroughly here for an Argyle vs. Aledo football playoff game.

Welp, I'm an idiot (whatelse is new). Aledo turns in 2090, which will move them up to 5A DI for sure, so no Aledo v. Argyle playoff game. Although it might set up an Aledo v. Highland Park battle in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Samuel Culper said:

Dripping Springs - 2335.  May be moving up to 6A depending on how much the cutoff rises.

That’s news. I don’t think Dripping Springs have ever been 6A.

Speaking of Argyle moving up to 5A, which area would they be in? I imagine Dripping Springs would be in 6A Area D but I’m not sure where Argyle would land.

Over the past few alignments the 6A number has generally risen by 30 or 40 each time, so not big leaps, so will be interesting to see where it falls this time.

The current 6A cutoff is 2220.  There's a few others right around that who we could see moving.  

Weiss's number is 2298, North Forney is 2292, Fort Bend Stephen F. Austin is 2259, Highland Park is 2245.5 so they are all above the current 6A cutoff, so we'll see.

Current 5A's Wylie East (turned in 2486) and Rock Hill (turned in 2499) are headed to 6A.  

Leander's number is 2202, so provided the cutoff number doesn't decrease, they'll stay 5A.  North Mesquite and Abilene look like they'll move down to 5A.  And, Lake Belton is a current 4A, but turning in 2123, they'll absolutely move up.  

For Argyle, they are currently in Region 2 which is currently zoned to Area B for 5A schools, along with 24 and 25, so they'd be in with all the Frisco ISD schools, provided TMEA/UIL keep the current regions zoned to the current areas.

8 hours ago, jmj said:

Over the past few alignments the 6A number has generally risen by 30 or 40 each time, so not big leaps, so will be interesting to see where it falls this time.

The current 6A cutoff is 2220.  There's a few others right around that who we could see moving.  

Weiss's number is 2298, North Forney is 2292, Fort Bend Stephen F. Austin is 2259, Highland Park is 2245.5 so they are all above the current 6A cutoff, so we'll see.

Current 5A's Wylie East (turned in 2486) and Rock Hill (turned in 2499) are headed to 6A.  

Leander's number is 2202, so provided the cutoff number doesn't decrease, they'll stay 5A.  North Mesquite and Abilene look like they'll move down to 5A.  And, Lake Belton is a current 4A, but turning in 2123, they'll absolutely move up.  

For Argyle, they are currently in Region 2 which is currently zoned to Area B for 5A schools, along with 24 and 25, so they'd be in with all the Frisco ISD schools, provided TMEA/UIL keep the current regions zoned to the current areas.

Maaaannnnnm, I was gonna post a lot of what you said lol

I've been following Matt Stepp and his predicted 6A cutoff at the moment is between 2230-2275. I doubt it'll jump to even 2290, so Weiss and North Forney are going 6A. SFA and HP are right on the edge. Being from Mesquite, it was crazy seeing that North Mesquite fell to 2165 given that just a few years ago it hovered around 2600 kids, but it does make sense as the district added a new Career and Technical high school this year and NM lost territory in the most recent rezoning.

Other things to note, Allen finally passed 7000 students, Buda Johnson and Dripping Springs are moving up to 6A (although they've been phenomenal, it'll be tough to get out of Area), Royse City (5A Area C alternate) is right on the border, reaffirmation that Cedar Park will never be in the largest classification again, and Aledo and Fulshear are likely to be 6A next cycle. College Station and A&M-Consolidated less so.

I also noticed in the compiled numbers that Round Rock is now over 3,800!  I know at one time there was talk of RRISD planning HS #6 in Pearson Ranch. Does anyone know if that is still on the table or did that get scrapped? 

Also, sad to see that 2 of 3 bond proposals failed here in Leander ISD by very small percentage. 

Finally Summit and Lake Ridge's numbers have been added to that list. Summit turns in 1923.5 which is a half a student more than Rouse (please don't ask me how you can have half a student). It might be close between the 5A DI and DII cutoff. Lake Ridge turns in 2607, which is tops in MISD.

Also, Allen's number of 7102 would rank as the 184-most populated county in Texas, coming in between Dallam and Brooks County (bonus points if you know where those counties are without looking it up).

The more I look at these numbers, the more I'm convinced we'll see a 7A next realignment cycle. By my count there are 50 schools with enrollments over 3,000, and I'm not sure that list is complete.

12 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

Also, Allen's number of 7102 would rank as the 184-most populated county in Texas, coming in between Dallam and Brooks County (bonus points if you know where those counties are without looking it up).

The more I look at these numbers, the more I'm convinced we'll see a 7A next realignment cycle. By my count there are 50 schools with enrollments over 3,000, and I'm not sure that list is complete.

A historical aside about Allen High: Back in the late 1990's, the old Allen High building was beyond capacity and the district had to decide on building a second high school or stay with a single high school, just really big.  At that time, Lovejoy ISD did not have a high school, but instead paid Allen ISD to send all of their 9-12 students to Allen High.  As Lovejoy was growing, there had been talk about building their own school, but nothing concrete.  Allen couldn't plan on Lovejoy students coming to Allen High permanently, which made the decision about number and size of a new high school building impossible.  So, Allen basically told Lovejoy ISD that they either had to permanently merge with the Allen ISD or build their own high school.  They decided to build their own school, which then allowed Allen to stay with the one (giant) high school model.

If the districts had merged, Allen would have built a second high school.  Considering the current enrollment of Allen High is 7102, and Lovejoy High is around 1500, the two Allen High schools would each have enrollments of ~4300 students, making them both in the top 10 biggest schools in Texas.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, jmj said:

I also noticed in the compiled numbers that Round Rock is now over 3,800!  I know at one time there was talk of RRISD planning HS #6 in Pearson Ranch. Does anyone know if that is still on the table or did that get scrapped? 

Also, sad to see that 2 of 3 bond proposals failed here in Leander ISD by very small percentage. 

Round Rock ISD’s $572 million bond package was voted down a few years ago by mostly those on the Travis county side. Round Rock high school built a new school a few years ago. They were suppose to tear down the old school but to my knowledge it is still being used in some capacity. It's mega school. I don't think there are any plans at the moment to build a new school.