UIL Area G 6A 2021

United has a good shot at winning the visual caption; however, now that GE is being considered in UIL, it's going to be interesting to see the approach that judges have in scoring that caption. 2018 was a really interesting year for area g as the top two bands had very different objectives in mind; the lack of a GE caption definitely  influenced a lot of how that contest turned out. Saw a video of Hanna recently and I think they sound great; probably top two in the music caption. If you've seen Alexander's show, it's safe for you to assume  they'll win the GE caption without knowing much of how it it's scored. I'm curious how San Benito will do as they have been very volatile over the last few years; from getting fourth place at 2018 BOA McAllen regional to not making area finals that same season. Ultimately, I think there's gonna be programs coming into this competition with different strengths so I'm very interested in how this will all play out.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:24 PM, Josegjr said:

Could United repeat as the area champion or will they be dethroned?

I can see them retaining the title, but a lot of other bands like Alexander, Hanna, and PSJA have stepped up their game this year. I definitely believe these 4 bands will advance to state from the area. I think Alexander and United will get top 2, but that first place spot is going to be tough. Both programs are highly successful, so it's going to be competitive! Plus, it would be awesome to have 2 bands from Laredo return to state again. 

23 hours ago, vbassoon said:

United has a good shot at winning the visual caption; however, now that GE is being considered in UIL, it's going to be interesting to see the approach that judges have in scoring that caption. 2018 was a really interesting year for area g as the top two bands had very different objectives in mind; the lack of a GE caption definitely  influenced a lot of how that contest turned out. Saw a video of Hanna recently and I think they sound great; probably top two in the music caption. If you've seen Alexander's show, it's safe for you to assume  they'll win the GE caption without knowing much of how it it's scored. I'm curious how San Benito will do as they have been very volatile over the last few years; from getting fourth place at 2018 BOA McAllen regional to not making area finals that same season. Ultimately, I think there's gonna be programs coming into this competition with different strengths so I'm very interested in how this will all play out.

There is not a GE Caption at Area.  

On 10/22/2021 at 10:44 PM, vbassoon said:

3 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

There is not a GE Caption at Area.  

Correct. I don't know if the judging has changed for this year, but if I'm not mistaken, bands will be judged on marching and music.

3 hours ago, Josegjr said:

I haven’t seen Hanna, San Benito, or weslaco. Does anyone have videos of them or links to share?

haven't seen SB or Weslaco either. I do remember seeing a video of Weslaco in 2019 and man how they improved from one year to the next. I expect to see them in finals. Same for San Benito, but that's what I told myself 3 years ago as well; must have been a fluke though. 

3 hours ago, vbassoon said:

haven't seen SB or Weslaco either. I do remember seeing a video of Weslaco in 2019 and man how they improved from one year to the next. I expect to see them in finals. Same for San Benito, but that's what I told myself 3 years ago as well; must have been a fluke though. 

I could see Hanna pushing for top 3.