While waiting for the awards ceremony, the bands in the stands will do the wave, signal each other with their cel-phone cameras, do cheers and engage in harmless good fun. And why not? These kids have worked incredibly hard and blowing off steam in a good natured friendly way seems appropriate.

Except I've noticed on more than one occasion, one school in the stands will not participate. They sit completely still. Not participating. The other 9 schools in finals are having fun. 1 is ....well, not.

I've been dying to ask:  What's that about?

You know? I almost want them to be getting some sort of collective punishment rather than thinking that they are "too good".  Not punishment for anything serious.  Eating BBQ sandwiches in full uniform or something relatively harmless. Not bad trouble. Good hardworking kid trouble.

I have observed that though: Other state band member struck up a conversation with an Austin area band member at the concession stand line (I won't divulge the band - it might just be that one kid. Not the culture of that band) Other state kid is telling him how much he liked the show and which elements were impressive. Being really friendly and genuinely nice. The Austin area kid didn't respond with gratitude. He said, "All the bands here suck. You guys aren't even close."

41 minutes ago, Spitfire78 said:

You know? I almost want them to be getting some sort of collective punishment rather than thinking that they are "too good".  Not punishment for anything serious.  Eating BBQ sandwiches in full uniform or something relatively harmless. Not bad trouble. Good hardworking kid trouble.

I have observed that though: Other state band member struck up a conversation with an Austin area band member at the concession stand line (I won't divulge the band - it might just be that one kid. Not the culture of that band) Other state kid is telling him how much he liked the show and which elements were impressive. Being really friendly and genuinely nice. The Austin area kid didn't respond with gratitude. He said, "All the bands here suck. You guys aren't even close."

That’s really awful. I will say that there are some directors who are stricter than others about conduct while in uniform/at a contest. But I don’t think any of them would be ok with that. 

1 hour ago, tpresley said:

...You hope they get a punishment…wow, not cool. 

You misunderstood.

I was hoping that they weren't being prohibited from participating for no real reason. 

The no camaraderie, no spirit , no fun  after performing seems harsh. Contrary to team building.

I guessed perhaps that being prohibited from participating might be punitive and hoped that if it was, it was for a minor infraction. 

3 hours ago, An Inspirational Pinecone said:

Whole thing sounds like the Marcus Wall or Great Wall of Marcus or whatever it was called back when they dominated in Texas. Heard stories of them not budging or even moving their eyes when the results were over. Stood completely still during retreat too.

The only other group that could really match their presence was LD Bell. 

I remember when we went to BOA St Louis in 2017 one band (I believe it was Lincoln) were mostly quiet and did not do all the things, but instead did their own choreographed fun little chants and dances together like it was a football game. I was quite a twist and was very entertaining to watch. I have also interacted with a person online whose band isn't even allowed to clap and they tried using the fact that they don't clap for themselves as a way to sort of excuse it. From the way they described it, their behavior was to seem more "professional" and "arrogant" (which they admitted was the wrong term) but it sounded like they weren't allowed to enjoy themselves and it came off as rude. It's one thing to be still like Phantom Regiment but it seems a bit unsportsmanlike to not clap for anyone