2021 4A UIL SMBC (Nov. 10)

I've always found predicting who will advance to Finals a bit more challenging than the higher divisions. Primarily because there was a more even distribution of the finalists in the 4A division. In other words, every single area was represented at the 2018 4A SMC Finals. Therefore, the dynamics between the bands is hard to measure because they don't really compete with each other outside of their area until the very last competition, which is state. 

11 hours ago, Dave609 said:

The UIL Conference 4A State Marching contest is November 10 in San Antonio! 

Here is the amount of bands advancing to State from each Area-

Area A- 3 Bands

Area B- 4 Bands (Will be updated after Region 3 has their contest October 20th)

Area C- 5 Bands

Area D- 5 Bands (Will be updated after Region 27 has their contest October 20th)

Area E- 7 Bands

How many bands in total are competing in Area B as of right now? (Not including region 3)

Just now, EricTheGreat said:

How many bands in total are competing in Area B as of right now? (Not including region 3)

21 as of right now.  At least 4 (Which will happen because Region 3 has Canton, Wills Point, Kaufman, Sunnyvale, Mabank, Caddo Mills, Ford, and Terrell) need to receive a one today in order for 5 to advance to State. So we should at least being seeing 27 bands at Area for Area B after today. If all Region 3 bands receive a one though, we will only be seeing 29 bands make it to Area, and only 5 would advance to State

55 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

21 as of right now.  At least 4 (Which will happen because Region 3 has Canton, Wills Point, Kaufman, Sunnyvale, Mabank, Caddo Mills, Ford, and Terrell) need to receive a one today in order for 5 to advance to State. So we should at least being seeing 27 bands at Area for Area B after today. If all Region 3 bands receive a one though, we will only be seeing 29 bands make it to Area, and only 5 would advance to State

Mabank has always been an interesting band. They went to Grand Nats in Indianapolis one year.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Mabank has always been an interesting band. They went to Grand Nats in Indianapolis one year.

I wish they would come to more local BOA contests.  I always liked them.  When I was in show choir, Mabank brought a group to the show choir contest that we went to and even though they were super small, they did so well (top half) .  They were a crowd favorite, too.  They only had 3 girls and 2 guys in the whole show choir.

• 2 weeks later...

well now, we have our bands that have advanced!

Area A: Canyon HS, Pecos HS, Hereford HS

Area B: Argyle HS, Canton HS, Melissa HS, Anna HS, & Wills Point HS

Area C- North Lamar HS, Paris HS, Bridge City HS, Lumberton HS, & Spring Hill HS

Area D- Springtown HS, Burnet HS, Fredericksburg HS, Alvarado HS, Lake Belton HS, & China Spring HS

Area E: Calallen HS, RGC Grulla HS, Hondo HS, Alice HS, Hidalgo Early College HS, Navarro HS, & La Feria HS

Congratulations to all the bands that have advanced!

ok ya'll, who do you think will make finals?

Here are the bands that I believe will advance (In No Order):

Argyle

Canton

North Lamar

Melissa

Lumberton

China Spring

Calallen

Burnet

Canyon

Hidalgo

Other Potentials:

Fredericksburg

Grulla

Paris

Bridge City

Wills Point

Anna

Lake Belton

12 hours ago, Howdy08 said:

Lumberton has been at state 4 of the last 5 years (due to a classification change). Is there any other band that has done that or are they the only one?

In 4A, Lumberton is the only one that has done that I think. However, after looking at past results, these are the bands that have done the same thing

• Forsan
  • Waxahachie
  • Sundown
  • Honey Grove

Not counting 1A, these are the only bands in the State that have done this impressive feat.

*This only counts after 1990*

I’ll add my predictions for who I believe will advance to finals in placement order.

1. Argyle

2. North Lamar

3. Canton

4. Canyon

5. Melissa 

6. Anna

7. Calallen

8. Hidalgo 

9. Springtown 

10. Lumberton 

Bubble: Fredericksburg, Grulla, Wills Point, China Springs (All of these bands have made finals in recent SMC going back to 2014)

59 minutes ago, thorn_mont969 said:

I’ll add my predictions for who I believe will advance to finals in placement order.

1. Argyle

2. North Lamar

3. Canton

4. Canyon

5. Melissa 

6. Anna

7. Calallen

8. Hidalgo 

9. Springtown 

10. Lumberton 

Bubble: Fredericksburg, Grulla, Wills Point, China Springs (All of these bands have made finals in recent SMC going back to 2014)

I like your list. I would add Bridge City at least in the bubble, if not even the top 10. They placed 7th last year at 4A State and is really really good this year.

2 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

What happened to Kennedale? I remember them being good a few years ago. It’s a very strange SMC for me not seeing Atlanta or Princeton on the list. I miss them being in 4A. I hope Princeton finds success in 5A! No Rio Hondo or Port Isabel is also weird. 

I believe Kennedale opted to not continue in the SMC process after Area. No doubt they would be a finalist contender. Princeton moved up to 5A and Atlanta moved down to 3A. 

Port Isabel, unfortunately, did not advance to state and neither did Rio Hondo.