UIL 5A - Area H

Next up, Boerne Champion "Bluebird"

Moving long straight lines across the field! I love it! Good balance. I like having a small guard upfront for the first half of the show. I love the beginning of Creep and the soloist seems to really feel the emotion. Wonder flying heart to finish off Creep. 

6 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

Liberty Hill - "All of Us 4 Hymn" 

Wow! I'm blown away by the amount of screen props Liberty Hill is setting the stage with. 

Tissues being passed around the stands. The team charges the field to get them underway. Nice fanfare. The brass hits were done with aggression and a wonderful counterpoint to the flowing flute solo. The guard is on fire 2 minutes in! Then the band rushes the front of the field for a breakdown. Super design and execution. Woodwinds change uniforms into an orange #4 jersey. Amazing grace with brass infront of the front ensemble...touching and strong. 5 minutes in I see why tissues were getting passed out. The front walk to How great though art!! Oh my....what a show!! Thank you for sharing that with us. 

Thanks for the Blogs, great job 👏 😀

Glenn - "Moods in Blue" 

Super cool graphics on the props and screens. The guard is in beautiful dresses and starting on top of boxes across the field. Sweet clarinet solo to open the show. Nice big sound, well balanced for such a small band. Oh my, they are playing well as an ensemble. I like the saxophone section feature. The bright orange feather poms are a welcome addition to the blue theme. Now red shakos! Great crescendo! The trumpet trombone duet is a nice little bit of well played fun. 

I ended up making it out on time!!!!

Here are my thoughts tonight:

Tivy : This reminds me of Keller’s 2015 show! Beautiful guard flags! A little work is needed on the flag work but the level of demand is sky high! LOVED the flute soloist! Excellent technique for a flute player and their skill really tied the whole band together. A very effective visual package that at least from the stands comes off as very cleaned and controlled. I got to see them at state in 2019 and they have only grown since then!

Champion : A show with some of the clearest design decisions that I saw this weekend. The students understand the show and they delivery the emotions of it very beautifully. The drill is a little simple but the students execute that simplicity wonderfully. A strong showing from our friends from Boerne.

Liberty Hill : Simply beautiful and touching! There is a lot of demand for the students here! There are some cleanliness issues but that really just stems from the fact that this really isn’t the easiest show and the students are giving their absolute best and full effort. Incredibly emotionally effective. I loved the experience. Loved the uniforms.

Glenn : They really know how to come together as a band and play together! There are very little stick outs musically and it really feels like a good strong ensemble where everyone is giving their all. Some issues visually but with a few days of cleaning they should easily be taken care of. Beautiful show. Loved the theming.

Cedar Park : Very little words! Really strong show! Loved the minimal use of props. The eye looked absolutely stunning with the backdrop of the setting sun. Loved the musical selections. Outstanding woodwinds, the best woodwinds of the night and possibly some of the best woodwinds in the state of Texas! Jaw-Dropping and stunning! In the contention for a medal at San Antonio in my opinion! Really just outstanding!

Leander : It’s hard not to be biased! Beautiful show! As with previous weekends there are some issues with the visual book but there’s a lot less than weeks prior and Leander really is putting their all into cleaning them up. Beautiful design balance between UIL and BOA. Crisp sounds and little to no stick outs musically. Really beautiful and wonderful show. It was very easy to just sit back and enjoy it no strings attached. I loved it! Loved seeing my daughter on the field. It was so touching and beautiful. I’ve missed watching her perform, ever since 2019 and seeing that final performance of Radioactive on Grand Nationals finals night there’s been a hole in my heart left by the Leander Marching Lions.

Rouse : Wow! Wow! When did Rouse get such a good color guard? Absolutely stunning work from them! It’s guards like this that make me wish there was a caption for it on UIL and BOA sheets! Other than that in my humble non-judge opinion. The music wasn’t the most demanding but that doesn’t matter as Rouse performs this easier musical book so with precision that the difficulty of it isn’t really relevant. Their visual is so straightforward and for lack of a better word simply clean! It’s just a really clean visual book. It’s your standard simple lines and curves but it’s just so clean! Along with the color guard this creates what I believe to be the best visual book of the night. Cedar Park may be ahead of Rouse in music by a little leap, but Rouse sure is ahead in colorguard as well as visual! At least in my opinion. Great night!

3 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

Margins were razor thin!

Cedar Park 3 2 1 1 2-9

Rouse          1 3 3 2 1-10

Leander       2 1 2 3 3-11

Wow, that's such a tight race. I can't wait to see what margins look like in BOA sheets! 

3 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I'm sad that they didn't have the prelims results as well

A little birdie told me that it was Cedar Park by a country mile in prelims. In finals they almost ripped apart towards the end of the show which greatly impacted their scores. Their show has such a high degree of difficulty vs what they have marched the last 2 competitive seasons that it's astounding. It was technically the most difficult show of the evening and I haven't seen anyone else in 5A marching such a technically difficult show. If you aren't gonna go big with props, go big with marching and playing. 

Prelim Ordinals

Cedar Park 1 2 1 1 1 

Rouse 2 1 3 2 3 

Leander 3 3 2 3 2

Glen 4 6 4 4 4

Liberty Hill 5 4 5 5 5

Tivy 6 11 9 6 6

Chanpion 8 9 6 7 8

Southwest 10 7 8 8 7

Burbank 11 5 13 9 15

CC Winn 13 8 7 18 12

Veterans Memorial 7 12 11 12 18