Birdville Marching Festival 2021 (Oct. 16)

Appears that this is the only game in town this weekend. This should be a fun one, especially with 11 5A Area F bands that will be back at this venue a week later.

Schedule

4A Coppell High School (Non-Varsity) 10:15 AM
5A Midlothian High School 10:30 AM
4A Argyle High School 10:45 AM
6A Boswell High School 11:00 AM
6A Fossil Ridge High School 11:15 AM
5A Burleson Centennial High School 11:30 AM
6A Lakeview Centennial High School 12:00 PM
5A Aledo High School 12:15 PM
5A Joshua High School 12:30 PM
6A Sachse High School 12:45 PM
5A Cleburne High School 1:45 PM
5A Creekview High School 2:00 PM
6A L. D. Bell High School 2:15 PM
5A Brewer High School 2:30 PM
6A North Mesquite High School 2:45 PM
6A Chisholm Trail High School 3:15 PM
5A Azle High School 3:30 PM
5A Burleson High School 3:45 PM
6A Rockwall High School 4:00 PM
5A EXHIBITION-Birdville High School 4:15 PM
5A EXHIBITION-Richland High School 7:00 PM
6A EXHIBITION-Haltom High School 9:45 PM

• Senior22Dad changed the title to Birdville Marching Festival 2021 (Oct. 16)

I'm here at the event. Will send periodic updates. I warn that I am not particularly good at evaluating performances in real time. ?

The first exhibition band was Argyle, who won 4A Iin prelims. They sound fairly good at times, but they're a bit of a mess visually right now.

Then Richland performed in exhibition. Their show is haunting but beautiful, and I was happily surprised with the package as a whole. They're pretty small -- about the size of Argyle -- but they're performing pretty well. I think they have a good shot at being middle of the pack in Area F finals. They clearly need to clean their closer though. And their first trumpets need to play in the ensemble, not just in tune. ?

Burleson had a fun bee themed show. They're sounded rougher than Argyle and Richland, but had some good music ensemble moments. They performed at a level above Argyle and just a bit below Richland. The guard was fairly good.

Midlothian's show was ballet themed with a gem motif. They wore tux uniforms! They performed weaker than Burleson tonight, though I think some of this comes from show design weakness.

Brewer performed just below the level of Midlothian. They had a patriotic themed show. 

I missed the name of Burleson Centennial's show, but visually it's themed graffiti on brick. They have several large props like this which some of the kids go on top of. They have a lot of stage presence tonight! I feel pretty comfortable placing them above Richland. Their show feels state-worthy, but they need to make it through Area F. Great show!

Sachse is about twice the size of anyone who has performed tonight. They held together pretty well, but they sound more unfocused than BC. I can't remember if finals order is reverse order or top half / bottom half, but it would make sense if not random.

Aledo is pretty strong with their hieroglyphics show. They have numbers in their favor this year too. They are generally clean and sound fairly focused. They'll do very good at state if they make it, which I think they have a strong shot at doing.

Chisholm Trail was rough, though they had good energy in the first couple movements. I suspect they will place towards the bottom tonight.

Rockwall is good this season. I'm not sure of the last time they've been at this level. They play a bit more subdued which let's them listen better side to side than Sachse, but not, I think, Aledo. They don't always use that to their advantage, though. They're pretty clean. Glad I could see them this year!

LD Bell was pretty strong visually. For about half of their show I was underwhelmed with their music performance. I think it was partly the cold, though, since it did get better as the show went on. Still, they did not sound that much better than, for instance, Aledo, which is what I was expecting.

Haltom was in exhibition at the end of finals. They were visually a bit of a mess, although at their best they sounded better than Bell. They also beat the cold better. Unfortunately, their sound has holes in it! Not enough people know their music. So, their output was inconsistent. If they were competing, I would put them somewhere in the middle.

7 minutes ago, Band_dad_of_2 said:

Curious about your Area F finals predictions…top 10 and who advances.

Azle finishing 2nd is impressive…what was your question about their placement?

I thought they were trading tone quality for volume. I'm never good at gauging how the judges will interpret that.

As for Area F bands, I think Aledo is great, BC is also good but less so, and Richland is less good than BC right now until their closer is tightened up and their trumpets fit in. Richland sounds pretty good though for their size. Other than that, I'm not sure what to think yet.

3 hours ago, Anthony V said:

I missed the name of Burleson Centennial's show, but visually it's themed graffiti on brick. They have several large props like this which some of the kids go on top of. They have a lot of stage presence tonight! I feel pretty comfortable placing them above Richland. Their show feels state-worthy, but they need to make it through Area F. Great show!

Centennial’s show is entitled Hood. The run was better tonight than in prelims, but I feel like they’re holding back a little. I’m not sure of the strategy.

I agree with a lot of your commentary. There was some interesting judging and a scoring system that I’m not sure will translate well to UIL.

I do think Azle was solid, but I’m not sure about that placement. I think Aledo is stronger overall, but I also think their run in prelims was better. 

I don’t know if this contest did anything other than make next Saturday even more of a tossup in Area F. 

11 hours ago, Percplayer19 said:

Mr. Amador here, how is Riichland looking for State?

See my response to Band_dad_of_2:

14 hours ago, Anthony V said:

As for Area F bands, I think Aledo is great, BC is also good but less so, and Richland is less good than BC right now until their closer is tightened up and their trumpets fit in. Richland sounds pretty good though for their size. Other than that, I'm not sure what to think yet.