UIL Area C 6A

11 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/area
Wow, much less of a headache finding recaps than I thought it would be, awesome🎉

Newbie question here…do the judges in each category look at different components of that category? What I mean is, in Marching, does Judge 1 look at, let’s say, band formation and Judge 2 look at color guard? And then the same in Music…each judges look at a different component of musicianship? I hope my question makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, MBBandMama said:

Newbie question here…do the judges in each category look at different components of that category? What I mean is, in Marching, does Judge 1 look at, let’s say, band formation and Judge 2 look at color guard? And then the same in Music…each judges look at a different component of musicianship? I hope my question makes sense. 

Same sheets for each judge within category. So they are all looking for the same things.

I think part of what drives the variances is that, while they are looking for the same things, they aren't synchronized where they are specifically looking or what they are specifically listening to during the performance (i.e. what aspect of the sheet are they evaluating at a specific moment). Each judge has his/her own method and can therefore come up with very different opinions. UIL judging is very notorious for this. The real key for Area is getting the right bands to State, which they probably do a decent (certainly not perfect!) job of doing even with the variances.

1 hour ago, TWHSParent said:

I think part of what drives the variances is that, while they are looking for the same things, they aren't synchronized where they are specifically looking or what they are specifically listening to during the performance (i.e. what aspect of the sheet are they evaluating at a specific moment). Each judge has his/her own method and can therefore come up with very different opinions. UIL judging is very notorious for this. The real key for Area is getting the right bands to State, which they probably do a decent (certainly not perfect!) job of doing even with the variances.

Interesting point you bring up.

The BOA sheeT (and likewise WGI) dictate specifics for certain point ranges, using “vocabulary” (good/great/outstanding…some/most/all of the time) to guide the values they award. UIL has a variance of this, but not to the same degree.

some additional causes for variances: using ordinal numbers to determine final score, music/visual caption swap for finals, random draw for finals. It must be said that judging is subjective and there will never be a great way to do it, only means of trying to do it better I guess!

A.) The new UIL judging system was essentially rolled out during a pandemic. The roll-out probably wasn't as smooth as some would have hoped. Expect to see more interesting judging at State.

B.) UIL doesn't really expect caption mastery from their judges the same way that the Big 3 do (BOA/DCI/WGI). Switching between music and visual is unheard of in DCI/BOA, just like switching from movement to general effect in WGI is unheard of, unless a judge gets fully certified in those other captions first. This is why it's relatively easy to predict who will be judging what at BOA based on the names of the judges, because those judges are masters at judging within particular captions, which they judge over and over and over and over again for both BOA and DCI.

C.) When you field 9 contests at a single time, and each of those requires 5 judges, you are going to take whatever judges you can get.