2021 UIL Area C 4A

On 10/22/2021 at 7:45 PM, Dave609 said:

I have seen Spring Hill's performance, and it is definitely different from previous year due to them not doing a Military Style show. I do believe they will make state though!

I rewatched their performance from a week ago but I'd still say they are marching military style. In fact, their show design looks similar to the times they qualified for 4A state competition. Unless they are doing something drastically different between their region contest to area, they are still marching 6-5 with some well-known marches + some interesting percussion feature with a pit and showcasing their woodwinds for some technical runs. 

Here is an archive of the 1A, 2A, 4A, 5A contest from Region 4 back on October 12. 

https://c.streamhoster.com/embed/media/WasBNW/OkdiSASLs2B/r/kgas10122021

Their performance is around the 6 hour 3 minute mark.

8 minutes ago, bandboosterdad said:

Finals Performance Order Tonight!

North Lamar

Lumberton

Splendora

Little Cypress Mauriceville 

Livingston

Paris

Liberty-Eylau

Spring Hill

Pleasant Grove

Bridge City

These were pretty much the bands I expected to make finals. I did not expect my alma mater to make finals. There a lot of strong bands in 10 and 4. Splendora is an interesting newcomer.

Two years in a row that LCM has missed out on state by one spot. That is tough. Surprised by Paris’ strong finish. No surprise that North Lamar continues to own this area. Bridge City continues to make strides as a band program. Lumberton has one of the best sounds, but their show was a little meh, particularly compared to the visuals of years past from them.

15 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

I absolutely agree. Lumberton's show visually is not as good as pre-2020. Man, their music though.

I know they went through a director change, which is always tough. Hopefully they don’t lose their mojo as a program. They need to improve marching fundamentals to have a chance at finals at state. Their guard was also much smaller than I remember. 

Just now, bandboosterdad said:

Congratulations to those bands advancing to State.  Special shout-out to Lumberton and Bridge City. Good job.  I know y’all will represent southeast Texas well at State!!

I am truly upset that LCM did not advance. I LOVED the show and thought it 100% deserved State!

1 hour ago, Cherish0708 said:

I don’t know of any leadership who has dropped out. I do know there has been issues and probably threats of that. But they were able to pull things together despite of the conflicts and new band director. There seem to be several middle school guard members so hopefully they can build their guard team back up to previous years numbers.

I’m sure next year Lumberton will be moving up to 5A which will be a new set of challenges, but hopefully they can pull off another Above and Beyond performance like in 2017 when they were in 5A.

I deleted my post that quoted what appear to be false rumors quoted on here. Lumberton is one of my favorite bands to watch in 4A as they usually pick entertaining music and play it dang well. The Watermelon Sugar part of their show yesterday was the best sound at Area in my opinion. I hope they make finals at state this year. I hope they are able to build their guard back up to the size and quality it was pre covid years. 
Also, with the enrollment numbers Lumberton reported on Friday, they should remain in 4A and continue to be one of, if not the largest 4A, in the state. They are positioning themselves to be a top 5 band program in 4A if they stay on their trajectory. 

1 hour ago, Cherish0708 said:

How did Splendora drop from 3rd to 8th? I didn’t get to see their finals performance, but couldn’t believe there was such a big difference.

I was wondering the same thing. It’s always tough for a band that finishes top 5 in prelims and then misses the state cut in finals. Four of the five finalists were also top five in prelims.