Duncanville Marching Invitational 2021 (Oct. 23)

2 minutes ago, DallasFan said:

Duncanville has historically done reverse prelims placements for finals, so I assume this is the case again

Well, not many surprises there! According to the website, the sheets are the same as UIL Area/State, so this is a great preview of Area B next weekend. I knew Waxahachie would excel on the UIL sheets, they’re really clean! However, I’m still really confused why Waxahachie’s show is so short…only 6:50! Does anyone know what’s going on there? Even their 2020 show was longer. 

14 minutes ago, Origin said:

Well, not many surprises there! According to the website, the sheets are the same as UIL Area/State, so this is a great preview of Area B next weekend. I knew Waxahachie would excel on the UIL sheets, they’re really clean! However, I’m still really confused why Waxahachie’s show is so short…only 6:50! Does anyone know what’s going on there? Even their 2020 show was longer. 

Am I crazy, or is this recap more like state and not area. Area is still only 5 judges just with slightly different wording for scoring, no? 

13 minutes ago, Origin said:

[...]However, I’m still really confused why Waxahachie’s show is so short…only 6:50! Does anyone know what’s going on there? Even their 2020 show was longer. 

I don't know, but it seems like there are moments that can be drawn out longer. They're definitely not in danger of going over time!

1 minute ago, DallasFan said:

Am I crazy, or is this recap more like state and not area. Area is still only 5 judges just with slightly different wording for scoring, no? 

I actually don’t remember how the UIL judging has changed this year. The DMI website just says “We are revising our scoring system to match the UIL Area/State system” but I can’t find any detail beyond that. 

9 minutes ago, Origin said:

I actually don’t remember how the UIL judging has changed this year. The DMI website just says “We are revising our scoring system to match the UIL Area/State system” but I can’t find any detail beyond that. 

I think wording and what is being judged is the same at area and state. For example, content is a factor at both. But at state, the conferences who are using the 7 judge system, Music judges score in certain captions (I.e Woodwind, brass, percussion, ensemble, like how duncanville is.)

But for areas that are using only 5 judges, the music judges score all of the separate captions “together” and do an overall music score. Where the same normal format of 3 music, 2 visual is in effect.

I could be way off but that’s what I’m gathering from the document. I hope this makes sense haha

36 minutes ago, Origin said:

I’m still really confused why Waxahachie’s show is so short…only 6:50! Does anyone know what’s going on there? Even their 2020 show was longer. 

Waxahachie has another 45-50 seconds of their closer to add.  Some is learned, but there's no stopping point until the end, so they didn't perform any of it for the DMI.  It'll be on the field for Area next week.

It was announced at the beginning of finals that Keller and Waxahachie actually tied for music in prelims.  Looking at the recap Keller was ahead in 3 of the 4 captions, so this seems to have been a tabulation error.  If a tiebreaker had been applied, it seems Keller should have won music.