UIL 6A Area I 2021

44 minutes ago, TubaMomof1 said:

Is being "hecka loud" a good thing or a bad thing?

From the way it’s phrased, I’d think a good thing. Absolutely helps to have some real power in your hornline sound as long as it’s still a good, quality sound. And from what I’ve seen and heard about Cy-Fair, that’s exactly what they’re doing right now.

6 minutes ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Finals Results:

10th - Tompkins

9th - Katy

8th - Cy-Falls

7th - Cy-Fair

6th - James E. Taylor

5th - Cinco Ranch

4th (State Qualify) - Jersey Village

3rd (State Qualify) - Seven Lakes

2nd (State Qualify) - Cypress Woods

Area Champion (State Qualify) - Bridgeland

These results don’t make sense tbh

these judges tweakin

So proud of our Katy band for making the finals and playing their two best shows of the year yesterday. They executed their show to practical perfection and entertained along the way. 

As an aside, I am admittedly new to this, but these results don't make any sense at all. Aren't the judges supposed to be checked for relative consistency? Some of the rankings within categories in a round and then also from Prelims to Finals are wildly different. Very odd to say the least. And with the scoring system in place, those...oddities...make a huge difference. Our results were within an expected and consistent range in both rounds, but several other bands' results just make zero sense. 

area-21_6A Area I.pdf

15 minutes ago, TigerJ948 said:

So proud of our Katy band for making the finals and playing their two best shows of the year yesterday. They executed their show to practical perfection and entertained along the way. 

As an aside, I am admittedly new to this, but these results don't make any sense at all. Aren't the judges supposed to be checked for relative consistency? Some of the rankings within categories in a round and then also from Prelims to Finals are wildly different. Very odd to say the least. And with the scoring system in place, those...oddities...make a huge difference. Our results were within an expected and consistent range in both rounds, but several other bands' results just make zero sense. 

area-21_6A Area I.pdf 181.65 kB · 1 download

The judges switch places between finals and prelims. Visual judges become musical and vice versa. This is why everyone hates UIL because nothing makes sense. Its like they picked schools and threw them in random order. The same thing happened in 2018, when cinco went from third to 8th and Jersey Village went from like 10th to 6th. 

24 minutes ago, TigerJ948 said:

area-21_6A Area I.pdf 181.65 kB · 4 downloads

The judges switch positions from prelims to finals. J1 and J2 become the two visual judges, while J4 and J5 become music judges alongside J3, who stays as a music judge in both prelims and finals. I wouldn't focus too much on the actual scores themselves either, because UIL judges use them more as a way to keep track of bands and have room to place other bands in between and vice versa. Area judging is notoriously fickle, but typically in prelims judges are more focused on getting the right bands into finals, which usually explains why finals sometimes can have drastically different results from prelims.

2 hours ago, TigerJ948 said:

area-21_6A Area I.pdf 181.65 kB · 9 downloads

I agree. Cy-Fair and JET got robbed. (And I am not a Cy-Fair or JET parent, btw.) It is so bonkers how bands that had strong and consistent BOA and early contest results could be beaten by bands who didn’t have those same consistent early season results. I am thinking of bands who didn’t make BOA finals or barely landed finals spots at all before UIL. How can a band do that and then suddenly be top five when their competition also had great runs and early season success? It’s just two completely different standards, it feels like. What can we do to lobby UIL for a BOA model of judging? 

Very shocking with the three way tie, but I'm very excited now to see how these bands will perform and rank at State. Very excited that Jersey Village got this opportunity because interacting with their kids at the contest showed how hard they worked and what kind kids they are! Wishing the best to them, Bridgeland, and SLakes as they advance. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:38 PM, BandFan59 said:

The judges switch positions from prelims to finals. J1 and J2 become the two visual judges, while J4 and J5 become music judges alongside J3, who stays as a music judge in both prelims and finals. I wouldn't focus too much on the actual scores themselves either, because UIL judges use them more as a way to keep track of bands and have room to place other bands in between and vice versa. Area judging is notoriously fickle, but typically in prelims judges are more focused on getting the right bands into finals, which usually explains why finals sometimes can have drastically different results from prelims.

Quick question.  Is it always J1 and J2 that switch with J4 and J5?  Or, could J2 and J3 switch with J4 and J5?

2 minutes ago, BravoBand said:

Quick question.  Is it always J1 and J2 that switch with J4 and J5?  Or, could J2 and J3 switch with J4 and J5?

As far as I know J3 never changes. I think this year though they're moving to a seven judge panel at state with an added content judge similar to GE at BOA events so I'm not sure what the judging panel will look like then.

31 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

As far as I know J3 never changes. I think this year though they're moving to a seven judge panel at state with an added content judge similar to GE at BOA events so I'm not sure what the judging panel will look like then.

Area E was just as bad. What makes this whole thing worse is why would the sheets change to BOA style at state but not area…. 

16 hours ago, Marchingbandperson said:

Everyone say it with me, bands can have different performances between prelims and finals. Bands can also have different levels of improvement between contests. You are not guaranteed anything based on your past performances, and it would be stupid if you were. If you cannot comprehend basics about marching band, you should not be complaining. There a thousand different factors to a performance, and everyone needs be on top of their game as in districts like this only your best performance can get you in. 

Obviously bands can make mistakes on different runs. And obviously the past doesn’t guarantee the future. OBVI. That’s not what I was referring to. When all things are pretty equal, and you get wildly different results, that is very curious. My point is that BOA scoresheets seem more consistent from judge to judge. Not always but usually. Wish this were the case for UIL.

38 minutes ago, Fez76 said:

Obviously bands can make mistakes on different runs. And obviously the past doesn’t guarantee the future. OBVI. That’s not what I was referring to. When all things are pretty equal, and you get wildly different results, that is very curious. My point is that BOA scoresheets seem more consistent from judge to judge. Not always but usually. Wish this were the case for UIL.

YES!!! Consistency in judging those BOA judges “judge” year around not just an area contest. BOA Judges judge “WGI, BOA, DCI, Indoor percussion and winds” 

If the scores where consistent throughout the whole recap I would be fine.