UIL 6A Area I 2021

I haven't seen a topic for Area I in 6A, so I thought I would make one for it. This event is being held October 30th.

Last year we saw 4 bands advance to the State contest, which were Seven Lakes, Bridgeland, Cypress Woods, and Katy Tompkins. The 2018 results had a different result as 5 bands advanced to State, which were, Katy, Jersey Village, Seven Lakes, Cy-Fair, and J.E. Taylor. 

I can't wait to see who has a chance at making it to State this year from this Area, but I haven't been able to see many performances, so I have a very slim chance of guessing correctly on who will make State from this Area.

I will say that I believe that Seven Lakes and Cypress Woods are a lock for State this year. Other bands who have a high chance of making it are Cy-Fair (Was State Alternate in 2020), Jersey Village, J.E. Taylor, Cinco Ranch, Bridgeland, Katy Tompkins, Cypress Falls, and Langham Creek.

Good luck to all bands in the upcoming weeks as Region Contest's begin, and can't wait to see how finals goes!

On 10/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Dave609 said:

I haven't seen a topic for Area I in 6A, so I thought I would make one for it. This event is being held October 30th.

Last year we saw 4 bands advance to the State contest, which were Seven Lakes, Bridgeland, Cypress Woods, and Katy Tompkins. The 2018 results had a different result as 5 bands advanced to State, which were, Katy, Jersey Village, Seven Lakes, Cy-Fair, and J.E. Taylor. 

I can't wait to see who has a chance at making it to State this year from this Area, but I haven't been able to see many performances, so I have a very slim chance of guessing correctly on who will make State from this Area.

I will say that I believe that Seven Lakes and Cypress Woods are a lock for State this year. Other bands who have a high chance of making it are Cy-Fair (Was State Alternate in 2020), Jersey Village, J.E. Taylor, Cinco Ranch, Bridgeland, Katy Tompkins, Cypress Falls, and Langham Creek.

Good luck to all bands in the upcoming weeks as Region Contest's begin, and can't wait to see how finals goes!

Three or four bands from this area should go to state. Seven Lakes and Cy Woods are my givens. I think JET will make it, and if a fourth is allowed, then Cy Fair. 

I believe if four bands are allowed to qualify, Cy Woods and Cy Fair will be the the top contenders for the cy schools, and Seven Lakes and James E. Taylor will be the top contenders for the katy schools. Tompkins will certainly challenge JET for a spot, however, JET's program this year is spectacular. If the music catches up with the visual then they might have their state spot locked. 

The maximum number of bands that can qualify for state in this area is 6, but that would require for all bands (32 in total) to get a 1 at region. If three bands do not qualify for area, then Area I will only advance 5 bands (which is the likely outcome). With that being said, I think this area will be extremely competitive with Seven Lakes basically having a guaranteed spot while Cy Woods also having a really good chance with how their season is going at the moment. To add to that, the most interesting part (in my opinion) is seeing who ends up advancing out of so many highly qualified bands (ex: Seven Lakes, Cy Fair, Cy Woods, Tompkins, JET, Bridgeland, Cinco Ranch, and the list goes on...). Seven Lakes and Cy Woods have had really impressive results with Cy Fair and JET having neat finalist appearances in boa Conroe/West Houston. However, I wouldn’t count out bands such as Tompkins, Bridgeland, and Cinco Ranch from the conversation since there is still a bit more time of growth before Area begins. For instance, I know bands like Bridgeland tend to peak really late and I think with how their show is built, they can end up earning a lot of credit if they manage to execute their show at a high level. To conclude, I am really excited to see how everything turns out that day, and for anyone that is performing, best of luck and have fun!

4 hours ago, Civil87 said:

The maximum number of bands that can qualify for state in this area is 6, but that would require for all bands (32 in total) to get a 1 at region. If three bands do not qualify for area, then Area I will only advance 5 bands (which is the likely outcome). With that being said, I think this area will be extremely competitive with Seven Lakes basically having a guaranteed spot while Cy Woods also having a really good chance with how their season is going at the moment. To add to that, the most interesting part (in my opinion) is seeing who ends up advancing out of so many highly qualified bands (ex: Seven Lakes, Cy Fair, Cy Woods, Tompkins, JET, Bridgeland, Cinco Ranch, and the list goes on...). Seven Lakes and Cy Woods have had really impressive results with Cy Fair and JET having neat finalist appearances in boa Conroe/West Houston. However, I wouldn’t count out bands such as Tompkins, Bridgeland, and Cinco Ranch from the conversation since there is still a bit more time of growth before Area begins. For instance, I know bands like Bridgeland tend to peak really late and I think with how their show is built, they can end up earning a lot of credit if they manage to execute their show at a high level. To conclude, I am really excited to see how everything turns out that day, and for anyone that is performing, best of luck and have fun!

I hope that 5 bands do advance to Area I ! This area is one of the "Underdog" areas, and some of the top "Underdog" bands in 6A come from this Area! I can see Seven Lakes and Cypress Woods as the given two to advance, and I hope that Cy-Fair can get back to the State contest. I personally would love to see Cinco Ranch advance to State as I have seen a few of their shows, and I was really impressed with them. If 6 bands were to advance, then that would leave so much for the 4th, 5th, and possible 6th spot. One band that I thought was going to advance last year was Cypress Park, I don't know how they are doing this year, but it would be cool to see them advance to Area Finals! This is going to be one amazing contest and I can't wait to see if 30 bands do advance to Area to send the possible 6th band to State!

• 2 weeks later...

So, if I'm looking at it right, at least 5 of the final 8 performing today in Region 27 would need to make 1's in order to open up a 4th spot for State.  I'm excited for the competition this Saturday and can't wait to see some great shows.

I have a Freshman in the Katy band and have enjoyed my first run through marching season as a parent.  Man, do these kids work hard!  I'm actually in awe of what all of these programs are able to pull off.  I know our band is under the radar, and that's cool, but I think we have a highly entertaining show that the kids are executing at a very high level...I'm excited for more folks to get to see it.

7 of the 8 bands made 1's, so four bands will be advancing! It will be great to see who can advance this year!

2 hours ago, TigerJ948 said:

So, if I'm looking at it right, at least 5 of the final 8 performing today in Region 27 would need to make 1's in order to open up a 4th spot for State.  I'm excited for the competition this Saturday and can't wait to see some great shows.

I have a Freshman in the Katy band and have enjoyed my first run through marching season as a parent.  Man, do these kids work hard!  I'm actually in awe of what all of these programs are able to pull off.  I know our band is under the radar, and that's cool, but I think we have a highly entertaining show that the kids are executing at a very high level...I'm excited for more folks to get to see it.

4 hours ago, Dave609 said:

7 of the 8 bands made 1's, so four bands will be advancing! It will be great to see who can advance this year!

Its a given 7L and Cy woods will take top two. The battle for three and four is going to be i n s a n e. JET, Cy-Fair, and Tompkins all have very exciting programs. It's going to be very, very close.

6 minutes ago, SnareIsSuperior said:

Its a given 7L and Cy woods will take top two. The battle for three and four is going to be i n s a n e. JET, Cy-Fair, and Tompkins all have very exciting programs. It's going to be very, very close.

I'll add to this that I bet Bridgeland has a shot at 3rd or (more likely) 4th along with Cy-Fair, JET, and Tompkins. Them making state last year doesn't guarantee anything for this year, but I still feel like they've grown well enough as a program this year that they might still be in the running. IMO Cy-Ranch and Cinco Ranch are also pretty solid picks for finals as well- not state quality, but still good shows. Should be VERY interesting to see how finals pans out this year.

49 minutes ago, SnareIsSuperior said:

Do you think the 2 bands from each district trend will continue? Meaning it will be JET v Tompkins and Cyfair v Bridgland for three and four?

It's very possible. Out of those four my bets are on Cy-Fair and JET, but I wouldn't count out Bridgeland or Tompkins just yet. I've also heard occasional whispers of Cinco Ranch sneaking into state? I haven't seen them this year so I have no idea how credible that is but I guess it's something to watch for this weekend.

Should also be interesting to see how Cy-Woods and Seven Lakes compare here. Cy-Woods has never won an area competition before, but with them beating Seven Lakes at Conroe, this year has the possibility to be their first. No doubt the Seven Lakes kids have been working crazy hard to stay ahead of Cy-Woods as well. Regardless, there are going to be a ton of great programs at this competition and I'm very excited to see how it turns out.