UIL 6A Area D 2021

41 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

my understanding is a 15 minute window, they enter the field 5 minutes before the clock starts - many will start their show at 2 minutes prior to the clock and band announcement. but they have an 8 minute judging window - exceeding that window is major penalty or a DQ (not sure which)  and then exit the field. as many programs that do pre-shows and have a full 12 minute show, you don't want to risk the fault early on - it is tough on the DM's and the students to have a cold start for UIL and then go back to their BOA start next week. Hope the finals goes well for all the programs tonight

This makes sense to me. In fact, I saw this in action tonight at the finals.  I watched a judge at the top of Kelly Reeves stadium when Reagan started their performance with 2:35 left during their setup time.  The judge didn't say anything into his recorder during those final 2.5 minutes.  When the countdown timer reached 10 seconds, he waited until the countdown reached 0:00 before picking up his recorder to give critique about the show.

1 minute ago, bchorn said:

This makes sense to me. In fact, I saw this in action tonight at the finals.  I watched a judge at the top of Kelly Reeves stadium when Reagan started their performance with 2:35 left during their setup time.  The judge didn't say anything into his recorder during those final 2.5 minutes.  When the countdown timer reached 10 seconds, he waited until the countdown reached 0:00 before picking up his recorder to give critique about the show.

the announcer will announce the program at about 10 seconds prior - the clock starts after that - anything before that is just pure audience gravy

4 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

the announcer will announce the program at about 10 seconds prior - the clock starts after that - anything before that is just pure audience gravy

Announcer starts with 45 seconds remaining in the 5 minute setup time. With 20 seconds left, they will tell the drum majors they can start. 

Full results with points

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson - 10

2. Ronald Reagan - 14

3. Cedar Ridge - 15

4. Round Rock - 18

5. Westwood - 22

6. Hays - 33

7. Smithson Valley - 39

8. Churchill - 40

9. McNeil - 42

10. New Braunfels - 43

Some really interesting stuff in the recap, like Reagan getting 4th across the board in music, but 1st in Visual. There also seems to be a music judge that wasn't a fan of Cedar Ridge's execution in prelims and finals, but another judge had them in first. Not as all over the place as some UIL results tend to be, but still interesting. 

12 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Full results with points

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson - 10

2. Ronald Reagan - 14

3. Cedar Ridge - 15

4. Round Rock - 18

5. Westwood - 22

6. Hays - 33

7. Smithson Valley - 39

8. Churchill - 40

9. McNeil - 42

10. New Braunfels - 43

Some really interesting stuff in the recap, like Reagan getting 4th across the board in music, but 1st in Visual. There also seems to be a music judge that wasn't a fan of Cedar Ridge's execution in prelims and finals, but another judge had them in first. Not as all over the place as some UIL results tend to be, but still interesting. 

Oooh I’d love to see the breakdown 

Wow, I see what you mean.  Looking at the finals results above, if Cedar Ridge would have received at least a 5 from J3 (instead of a 7?) they would have placed 2nd.  Interesting, especially seeing that the other music judges had them at 1 and 2.  So I guess that begs the question, what did they do to J3? Haha  Seriously, I think the 5 best finals performances advanced but always keeps it exciting when you have an outlier judge. Lol  Congrats to all the area bands for a day of amazing performances!  And good luck to all the state qualifiers!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:52 AM, Bandmanio said:

That's odd!  I wonder if that's because they were originally planning on Grand Nats this year?

Bowie was never going to Grand Nats this year. After their Ireland trip busted due to Covid restrictions last year a lot of families lost money so it was going to be tough to have the entire band fundraise enough in less than a year. 

As for opting out of Area/State, the Wind Ensemble is making its WIBC trip that was postponed from early 2020. The trip happens right before Thanksgiving and there’s only so much school you can miss.