UIL 6A Area D 2021

State is a local contest for Reagan and CTJ. Round Rock is in one of the last prelims blocks for GNats, and is looking to place well at the state contest. The kids (and supporters) will be exhausted, but I don't expect any of these bands to skip UIL state contest, or BOA San Antonio Super Regional.

1 hour ago, bchorn said:

Given how Reagan, CTJ, and Round Rock are going to both the Super Regionals and Grand Nationals, how likely is it that all three of these bands will choose to participate in the State marching contests as well?  I ask because we all know these three bands are a lock for state.  But it seems like participating in three marching band contests over the span of 8 days in two different states is pretty daunting.  Would one or more of these schools choose to opt out of state in favor of the BOA competitions?

in 2016, CTJ opted out of State to ensure that their equipment made it to Indy timely - as they generally opt for a Thursday Prelim performance. every program has their own process, but it comes down to the district allowing the days out of class. this year, 

On 10/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, InIt4Fun said:

State is a local contest for Reagan and CTJ. Round Rock is in one of the last prelims blocks for GNats, and is looking to place well at the state contest. The kids (and supporters) will be exhausted, but I don't expect any of these bands to skip UIL state contest, or BOA San Antonio Super Regional.

I wasn't expecting any bands to skip the Super Regional...since that contest will be valuable BOA specific feedback that they can build upon for Grand Nationals.  State Marching contest has different criteria that bands are judge upon so the feedback may not be as valuable.  Plus, if not for covid, 6A wouldn't be having a state championship this year so the bands were probably not planning for attending state anyways.  

And, as banddad said later in this thread, wrapping up state finals on Tuesday night and then shipping equipment across the country to Indianapolis can be a logistical challenge for the volunteers that do it.  So I'm not so sure it's a slam dunk that all three bands are going to do state as well.  We'll see.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, banddad84 said:

in 2016, CTJ opted out of State to ensure that their equipment made it to Indy timely - as they generally opt for a Thursday Prelim performance. every program has their own process, but it comes down to the district allowing the days out of class. this year, 

This is something I never considered. Since the equipment will be in tractor trailers it will be subject to federal HOS rules. If the school only has one driver per tractor trailer they could be cutting it close.   HOS says you can only be on duty for 14 hours in one day and only drive 11 of those 14 hours before you must go off duty and rest for 10 hours.  If the driver burns through their 14 hour on-duty clock on Tuesday at State they will have to rest 10 hours before heading to Indy instead of going directly from state to Indy.   In this scenario if f everything goes perfectly the driver will get to Indy around 12:00 PM on Thursday.

definitely will be difficult on each schools road crew! if something were to happen that would cause a delay it would be a huge challenge to compete without their front ensemble or guard equipment. 10 years ago a very similar thing happened to us when attending BOA Conroe luckily are equipment arrived before finals. I can't imagine at such a stacked competition like nats things would go well in this scenario.  

2 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

I know that a Round Rock parent told us that if they did make it to state, their trucks were going on the road to Indy as soon as their performance was done 

That’s what Leander did in 2016. State finals was on Wednesday afternoon and then the truck headed straight for Indy while the Leander kids headed back to the Austin airport for an overnight flight. Leander didn’t perform at GN until Friday morning but it was still a tight timeline. 

4 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

That’s what Leander did in 2016. State finals was on Wednesday afternoon and then the truck headed straight for Indy while the Leander kids headed back to the Austin airport for an overnight flight. Leander didn’t perform at GN until Friday morning but it was still a tight timeline. 

I remember hearing about how rough this was on the Leander kids, I’m really surprised Round Rock is going to be doing the exact same thing this year.

No disrespect to Round Rocks band intended but this is definitely a really rough schedule for the students.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

I remember hearing about how rough this was on the Leander kids, I’m really surprised Round Rock is going to be doing the exact same thing this year.

No disrespect to Round Rocks band intended but this is definitely a really rough schedule for the students.

It was definitely rough. Lots of the band kids ended up on crutches or in wheelchairs that weekend. It was nuts!!!

23 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

It was definitely rough. Lots of the band kids ended up on crutches or in wheelchairs that weekend. It was nuts!!!

I thought that as unfortunate as Leanders situation was it was maybe a lesson to avoid such ambitious schedules, it looks like maybe it wasn’t.

Sure you can leave Indy with a very nice top half placement even if you go this route, but we really should be looking out for the kids mental and physical health a lot more. Their health is much more important than placements.

4 hours ago, lost said:

Some school districts primarily support band for UIL and football. RRISD bands are still required to attend football games in Austin on SASR Friday. In RRISD, BOA events are optional. UIL events are not.

Yes, it is a rough schedule for the kids and the road crew. Flower Mound opted out of SASR. The Woodlands opted out of UIL 6A state. There are 5 bands doing SASR, UIL 6A state (if qualified), and GNats. Marcus is in the most difficult position here, with the earliest prelims performance, and San Antonio being four hours in the wrong direction from Indy. But they aren't in Area D.

Will any of the Team Texas area D bands skip UIL state, loosening the competition for the 5 area D state slots? I think they would have made that decision known already if they were going to. In any case, I think we will know the answer by the close of day on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing awesome bands, awesome kids, and awesome performances all day Saturday at the KRAC!

13 minutes ago, InIt4Fun said:

Some school districts primarily support band for UIL and football. RRISD bands are still required to attend football games in Austin on SASR Friday. In RRISD, BOA events are optional. UIL events are not.

Yes, it is a rough schedule for the kids and the road crew. Flower Mound opted out of SASR. The Woodlands opted out of UIL 6A state. There are 5 bands doing SASR, UIL 6A state (if qualified), and GNats. Marcus is in the most difficult position here, with the earliest prelims performance, and San Antonio being four hours in the wrong direction from Indy. But they aren't in Area D.

Will any of the Team Texas area D bands skip UIL state, loosening the competition for the 5 area D state slots? I think they would have made that decision known already if they were going to. In any case, I think we will know the answer by the close of day on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing awesome bands, awesome kids, and awesome performances all day Saturday at the KRAC!

The Woodlands isn’t doing state? 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:24 PM, InIt4Fun said:

Westwood is playing McNeil on the Friday night of SASR.  McNeil is performing at 5:45pm and Westwood is performing at 6:45pm at SASR. There's no way either of these two bands are going to be at that football game in Austin. 

6 hours ago, bchorn said:

Westwood is playing McNeil on the Friday night of SASR.  McNeil is performing at 5:45pm and Westwood is performing at 6:45pm at SASR. There's no way either of these two bands are going to be at that football game in Austin. 

And neither band are going to the football game. 

28 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

I think that 6A Area D is a toss up between Reagan and CTJ right now - both had great runs in prelims today in Austin. Finals should be interesting tonight

Since CTJ's show is longer than the UIL time limits, I'm guessing what they performed at Region (from the first opening hit to halfway through the closer-ish if I'm correct) is what they're going to be performing for the entirety of the UIL process?

38 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Since CTJ's show is longer than the UIL time limits, I'm guessing what they performed at Region (from the first opening hit to halfway through the closer-ish if I'm correct) is what they're going to be performing for the entirety of the UIL process?

generally - yes - they do not perform their pre-show for UIL and generally start before they get on the clock to come under the time limits. they have changed up a number of parts the past 2 weeks - excited to see how the finals play out