UIL 6A Area D 2021

Figured I should start this topic as we inch closer and closer to this competition on October 30th. In the past, this definitely has been one of the most competitive areas in the whole state, and will likely be even more competitive this year due to the possibility of only 5 bands advancing to state instead of the usual 6.
The 6 bands that advanced in 2018 were:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Ronald Reagan

Cedar Ridge

Round Rock

James Bowie

Hendrickson

First 2 out: 

Hays

Westwood

With Hendrickson moving down to 5A, this opens the door for someone else to take that spot if they advance 6 bands to state. We all know Westwood has that potential as (we) have improved so much since 2018 and Hays has gotten much better as well. However, if they only advance 5, that means more than likely, one of these extremely talented bands is not going to advance. Buckle up, this is going to be one of the most entertaining finishes at a marching competition this season. Can't wait to compete in this.

• 2 weeks later...

6 Bands will advance to State if Region 18 and 26 bands receive 1st divisions on Tuesday, Oct. 19th

Region 8 Results

8 Advanced

Region 12 Results

10 Advanced

Region 18 Results

Tuesday, Oct. 19th

All 6 should receive 1's

Region 26 Results

Tuesday, Oct. 19th

All 6 should receive 1's

Probable Schools at Area D 6A on Oct. 30th

• Belton
  • Bryan
  • Copperas Cove
  • Ellison
  • Harker Heights
  • Midway 
  • Temple
  • Waco
  • Churchill
  • CTJ
  • LEE
  • MacArthur
  • Madison
  • New Braunfels
  • Reagan
  • Roosevelt
  • San Marcos
  • Smithson Valley
  • Akins
  • Anderson
  • Austin
  • Del Valle
  • Jack C. Hays
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Hutto
  • McNeil
  • Round Rock
  • Stony Point
  • Westwood

2 hours ago, Bandmanio said:

6 Bands will advance to State if Region 18 and 26 bands receive 1st divisions on Tuesday, Oct. 19th

Region 8 Results

8 Advanced

Region 12 Results

10 Advanced

Region 18 Results

Tuesday, Oct. 19th

All 6 should receive 1's

Region 26 Results

Tuesday, Oct. 19th

All 6 should receive 1's

Probable Schools at Area D 6A on Oct. 30th

• Belton
  • Bryan
  • Copperas Cove
  • Ellison
  • Harker Heights
  • Midway 
  • Temple
  • Waco
  • Churchill
  • CTJ
  • LEE
  • MacArthur
  • Madison
  • New Braunfels
  • Reagan
  • Roosevelt
  • San Marcos
  • Smithson Valley
  • Akins
  • Anderson
  • Austin
  • Del Valle
  • Jack C. Hays
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Hutto
  • McNeil
  • Round Rock
  • Stony Point
  • Westwood

There are only 29 bands in your list and that lines up with what I have, so only 5 will advance from Area D

6 hours ago, abtwitch said:

There are only 29 bands in your list and that lines up with what I have, so only 5 will advance from Area D

There would be 30, however Bowie is choosing to not do Area this year.  They will receive a 1 at Region and that will count towards the total amount that could be at area, granting 6 bands a berth to the State Championships.

5 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

There would be 30, however Bowie is choosing to not do Area this year.  They will receive a 1 at Region and that will count towards the total amount that could be at area, granting 6 bands a berth to the State Championships.

Oh I see where the issue is, Anderson is now 5A

My predictions for finals as of right now: 

1. Reagan  

2. CTJ

3. Cedar Ridge 

4. Round Rock

5. Westwood 

6. Churchill

7. Hays 

8. McNeil

9. Smithson Valley 

10. New Braunfels 

I truly feel like Churchill has a really good chance at making it this year for the first time in a long time. Slots 5-10 are all kind of a toss up, and the last 2 spots advancing to State are going to be in heavy contention. 

14 minutes ago, TRBbaritone said:

1. Reagan  

2. CTJ

3. Cedar Ridge 

4. Round Rock

5. Westwood 

6. Churchill

7. Hays 

8. McNeil

9. Smithson Valley 

10. New Braunfels 

I truly feel like Churchill has a really good chance at making it this year for the first time in a long time. Slots 5-10 are all kind of a toss up, and the last 2 spots advancing to State are going to be in heavy contention. 

Churchill has not been scoring great this year, placed significantly behind both Hays and McNeil at TMC earlier this season.

UIL Region 26 was an amazing show case! many great bands that all have great potential. two bands that really are competing with each other are Round Rock and Westwood. Round Rock tends to do better later in the season once they have cleaned themselves a bit. When you have such a large group this can be a real hurdle but once you perfect this you can really begin to dominate example: Reagan. Westwood has the ability to move ahead of round rock if they don't peak early. 

Cedar Ridge is on another level this year they are small but as always come with power. I expect a repeat of 2018 and a state finals slot for this group. 

Area Top 3: 
1. Ronald Reagan 
2. CTJ 
3. Cedar Ridge
----------------
4-5: Round Rock, Westwood
---------------
6-10: Hays, Smithson Valley, McNeil , Churchill, New Braunfels 

PS: really shocked to see Bowie not competing this year it will feel like something is missing for sure. 

13 hours ago, TRBbaritone said:

1. Reagan  

2. CTJ

3. Cedar Ridge 

4. Round Rock

5. Westwood 

6. Churchill

7. Hays 

8. McNeil

9. Smithson Valley 

10. New Braunfels 

I’m a bit weary on Churchill after their placement at the TMC.

I’m a bit more optimistic about New Braunfels and McNeil.

Schedule for prelims is up. Here is the order:

Stony Point (10:00)

Austin (10:15)

Madison (10:30)

Belton (10:45)

Round Rock (11:00)

Smithson Valley (11:15)

Killeen Ellison (11:30)

<BREAK>

MacArthur (12:00)

Del Valle (12:15)

Ronald Reagan (12:30)

Bryan (12:45)

New Braunfels (1:00)

Westwood (1:15)

Temple (1:30)

<LUNCH BREAK>

Claudia Taylor Johnson (2:30)

Midway (2:45)

Roosevelt (3:00)

Hutto (3:15)

Copperas Cove (3:30)

San Marcos (3:45)

Akins (4:00) 

<BREAK>

McNeil (4:30)

Harker Heights (4:45)

Cedar Ridge (5:00)

Winston Churchill (5:15)

Jack C. Hays (5:30)

Lee (5:45)

Drum Major Retreat/Finals Announcement (6:30)

First Finalist Band (8:00)

Last Finalist Band (10:30)

Finals Retreat (11:15)

I have Reagan, CTJ, Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, and Westwood qualifying for state in that order. I think Hays and McNeil will solidly be in finals with the good prelim times they drew. Not too sure about the rest of the field here, but interesting to see James Bowie isn't participating at area/state this year. I know they have BOA Waco on their schedule for the weekend of this and the other 6A area contests.

Given how Reagan, CTJ, and Round Rock are going to both the Super Regionals and Grand Nationals, how likely is it that all three of these bands will choose to participate in the State marching contests as well?  I ask because we all know these three bands are a lock for state.  But it seems like participating in three marching band contests over the span of 8 days in two different states is pretty daunting.  Would one or more of these schools choose to opt out of state in favor of the BOA competitions?