UIL 6A - Area H

3 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Hey ya'll, so back in 2018, they were only supposed to send three bands, since they had 19 bands, but they sent 4. Does anyone know why they did it? Could they do it again this year?

I believe because 3rd and 4th has tied so they are taking 4 bands. This year they are taking 4 with the amount of bands that got 1st division. Hope that helped :) 

18 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Hey ya'll, so back in 2018, they were only supposed to send three bands, since they had 19 bands, but they sent 4. Does anyone know why they did it? Could they do it again this year?

Bad judge rule.

Someone would have to dig up the exact ordinals but essentially Leander was ranked 3rd by two music judges and 3rd by 1 visual judge so they qualified to state based on this fact alone.

Any band that gets a 3rd or higher from two music judges and one visual judge also qualifies to state and Leander fit that criteria.

Leander finished 1 point below Westlake, so they didn’t tie but Leander still advanced.

18 minutes ago, StandHorn said:

I believe because 3rd and 4th has tied so they are taking 4 bands. This year they are taking 4 with the amount of bands that got 1st division. Hope that helped :) 

There wasn’t necessarily a tie, Leander finished 1 point below Westlake.

I haven't seen much from Westlake this year. I'd need to see it to believe it though if Brandeis were to beat them. I'd be all for it. It'd be huge for NISD.

This feels like a stronger season for Del Río and a weaker season for most other NISD schools that normally do well in finals. That's why I personally think Del Río will come out around 6th. 

4 minutes ago, FEDude said:

I haven't seen much from Westlake this year. I'd need to see it to believe it though if Brandeis were to beat them. I'd be all for it. It'd be huge for NISD.

This feels like a stronger season for Del Río and a weaker season for most other NISD schools that normally do well in finals. That's why I personally think Del Río will come out around 6th. 

I got to see Westlake at Region, they are looking good again this year and looking like Westlake.  Also Lake Travis was much improved from earlier in the season and they will be in the hunt as well.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Bad judge rule.

Someone would have to dig up the exact ordinals but essentially Leander was ranked 3rd by two music judges and 3rd by 1 visual judge so they qualified to state based on this fact alone.

Any band that gets a 3rd or higher from two music judges and one visual judge also qualifies to state and Leander fit that criteria.

Leander finished 1 point below Westlake, so they didn’t tie but Leander still advanced.

For Reference:

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/6A_Area_H.pdf

And thank goodness it happened, since Leander wound up 5th at state, while Westlake ended up 21st oddly enough. 

6 hours ago, LHSax said:

For Reference:

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/6A_Area_H.pdf

And thank goodness it happened, since Leander wound up 5th at state, while Westlake ended up 21st oddly enough. 

It was very peculiar all around but the judges ultimately got the best bands to state so I guess that’s what matters. 

7 hours ago, lost said:

Also genuine question and no harm meant to the Del Río program, but is there show this year not the same show they performed in 2020? 

Isn’t there a rule against performing the same show twice at least for UIL?

It seems to be that their music is very similar but their drill is different, Uil only requires students to learn new drill in this case. So technically they're following the rules.

1 hour ago, TRBbaritone said:

Taft’s prelims time slot giving me 2014 war flashbacks 😨 

Yes. I don't think people out of band realize how much prep time a show needs before a performance time. And that's if the performance is at a nearby venue. It's at least 3-4 hours before hand it will be an early early morning for Clark and Taft  

I forgot where area was. I think it's in Judson this time. Not at all that nearby. It's like the opposite tip of San Antonio. 

What the directors explained to us back then was that Area G was too large and relatively uncompetitive and Area D was holding back great programs.

Now they formed an area out of a bit of old G and a bit of old D. It did make me sad at the time since my band was for sure not making state anymore. It is what's best for the bands though. The improvement in certain NISD bands has been undeniable in the last years. 

On 10/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, vbassoon said:

I see Brandeis taking it, they have a lot of good momentum coming from their finals appearance at TMC two years ago; however, don't sleep on Del Rio as they have been rapidly improving as well. DR could very well be in the top half of finals with a good run. 

100% agree on Del Rio. Big excitement is building within that program.