UIL 6A - Area H

Area Contest is at Judson High School, Saturday, October 30th.

Region 11 Contest - Saturday, October 16th - Judson High School

4:30 - 6:45 5A Bands

7:45 Wagner

8:00 South San Antonio

8:15 Steele

8:30 Eagle Pass

8:45 Del Rio

9:00 Clemens

9:15 East Central

9:30 Judson

Region 29 Contest - Saturday, October 16th - Farris Stadium

Schedule not posted yet

Brandeis

Brennan

Clark

Harlan

Holmes

Jay

Marshall

O'Connor

Stevens

Taft

Warren

Region 32 Contest - Tuesday, October 12th - Gupton Stadium

6:00 - 7:15 5A Bands

7:45 Lake Travis

8:00 Vandegrift

8:15 Vista Ridge

8:30 Westlake

Assuming all bands make sweepstakes and advance to Area, there will be 23 total bands competing, with 10 finals spots and 4 bands qualifying for State. 

My very, very early predictions for finals (if there are 10 spots in finals): 

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge 

3. Westlake 

4. Brandeis 

5. Lake Travis 

6. Stevens 

7. O’Connor 

8. Steele

9. Taft

10. Judson 

Those last 4 spots are a toss-up. Based on the 2018 results and this season thus far it’s very likely that Del Rio, Warren, Wagner, Brennan or Clemens could sneak into finals as well. No idea how many of these bands have fared during the past year and a half, so only time will tell. 

New to 6A Area H: NISD Harlan

1 hour ago, TRBbaritone said:

Assuming all bands make sweepstakes and advance to Area, there will be 23 total bands competing, with 10 finals spots and 4 bands qualifying for State. 

My very, very early predictions for finals (if there are 10 spots in finals): 

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge 

3. Westlake 

4. Brandeis 

5. Lake Travis 

6. Stevens 

7. O’Connor 

8. Steele

9. Taft

10. Judson 

Those last 4 spots are a toss-up. Based on the 2018 results and this season thus far it’s very likely that Del Rio, Warren, Wagner, Brennan or Clemens could sneak into finals as well. No idea how many of these bands have fared during the past year and a half, so only time will tell. 

New to 6A Area H: NISD Harlan

I agree except I think LT will be 4th 

2 hours ago, ThisIsTheEnd said:

Sadly, O’Connor is having a rough go of it this season. I think they miss finals here. Even with 10.  Del Rio in 7th sounds right. 

Brandeis vs Lake Travis is the intriguing aspect to this one. Can Brandeis break through this year or will it have to wait until the next state year?

I really feel like Brandeis and Lake Travis will be very close to each other at this contest. It could go either way. Brandeis is having a great season so far, and Lake Travis missed BOA Austin finals which is unlike them. Honestly, the bottom half of finals is kind of unpredictable at the moment. 

Taft actually did pretty well this week. They might end up higher than expected come area time. Still a lot to improve, but I think area finals are firmly within reach.

That being said, I'm still convinced that Stevens is in the race for that last state spot between LT and Brandeis. Stevens tends to peak pretty late, but when they peak, they peak. 

9 hours ago, FEDude said:

Taft actually did pretty well this week. They might end up higher than expected come area time. Still a lot to improve, but I think area finals are firmly within reach.

That being said, I'm still convinced that Stevens is in the race for that last state spot between LT and Brandeis. Stevens tends to peak pretty late, but when they peak, they peak. 

I think Taft will end up in the bottom half of finals for the first time in a while. I hope Stevens can peak at the right time because having three NISD bands in finals would be fun. O’Connor….I hope they have a strong showing at UIL region, because currently I have them below Del Rio and Taft. 

I’m manifesting Brandeis taking the last state spot over LT because that would be huge for NISD in Area H.  

58 minutes ago, TRBbaritone said:

I think Taft will end up in the bottom half of finals for the first time in a while. I hope Stevens can peak at the right time because having three NISD bands in finals would be fun. O’Connor….I hope they have a strong showing at UIL region, because currently I have them below Del Rio and Taft. 

I’m manifesting Brandeis taking the last state spot over LT because that would be huge for NISD in Area H.  

If I remember correctly Taft wasn’t even in finals during the 2018 contest right?

4 hours ago, lost said:

If I remember correctly Taft wasn’t even in finals during the 2018 contest right?

No. But they were close. Closer than some bands people are predicting in finals now. They have a new director and new show style I feel fits them a little better. There are lots of parts of the show that need work, but it's a HUGE improvement from 2019.

I really wish I could be there for área finals. Out of state until December. It'll be fun though. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

All 1s for Region 32.

Everyone did very well in some really changing conditions with some getting drizzle and/or gusty winds. 

I had not seen Vandy or Vista in person since Austin and I love what they’re doing and where they’re headed. Vandy has this gorgeous dynamic contrast in the closer with some delicate moments when they go back to the Tchaikovsky that is just stunning. They sound so good at every volume level. 

Vista has this carriage and intensity that each performer is moving with that just draws you in. And, this ferocious technical woodwind quartet at the beginning of the closer is jaw dropping in its technicality. 

We’re over 2 weeks away from Area H so I can’t imagine the products with so much time to polish between now and then.

15 minutes ago, jmj said:

Everyone did very well in some really changing conditions with some getting drizzle and/or gusty winds. 

I had not seen Vandy or Vista in person since Austin and I love what they’re doing and where they’re headed. Vandy has this gorgeous dynamic contrast in the closer with some delicate moments when they go back to the Tchaikovsky that is just stunning. They sound so good at every volume level. 

Vista has this carriage and intensity that each performer is moving with that just draws you in. And, this ferocious technical woodwind quartet at the beginning of the closer is jaw dropping in its technicality. 

We’re over 2 weeks away from Area H so I can’t imagine the products with so much time to polish between now and then.

I love that quartet,  It is so fun.  And crazy hard.

9 hours ago, TRBbaritone said:

Updated finals predictions based off of the past few weeks and videos from Region: 

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge 

3. Westlake 

4. Brandeis 

5. Lake Travis 

6. Stevens 

7. Del Rio

8. Taft

9. O’Connor

10. Brennan (my dark horse of the contest)

Looks like a good list. I would probably switch Del Río and Stevens. But they're both for sure gonna be in finals. I also have a hunch about Warren. But 10th could really go to anyone. 

Saturday, October 30th - D.W. Rutledge Stadium

9:00 - Clark

9:15 - Taft

9:30 - South San Antonio

9:45 - Steele

10:00 - Lake Travis

10:30 - Westlake

10:45 - John Jay

11:00 - Eagle Pass

11:15 - Del Rio

11:30 - Brennan

11:45 - Holmes

1:00 - Vandegrift

1:15 - Clemens

1:30 - O'Connor

1:45 - Judson

2:00 - Marshall

2:15 - Warren

2:45 - Stevens

3:00 - East Central

3:15 - Harlan

3:30 - Vista Ridge

3:45 - Wagner

4:00 - Brandeis

7:00 - First Finalist

9:15 - Last Finalist

13 hours ago, FEDude said:

Looks like a good list. I would probably switch Del Río and Stevens. But they're both for sure gonna be in finals. I also have a hunch about Warren. But 10th could really go to anyone. 

Yeah, I like Clarke in 10th, though Warren, Judson, Eagle Pass, Brennan are all in the running for that last spot.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, TRBbaritone said:

Updated finals predictions based off of the past few weeks and videos from Region: 

1. Vandegrift

2. Vista Ridge 

3. Westlake 

4. Brandeis 

5. Lake Travis 

6. Stevens 

7. Del Rio

8. Taft

9. O’Connor

10. Brennan (my dark horse of the contest)

I think Brandeis has the possibility of taking 3rd place ? I would drop Del Rio to either 9th or 10th place based on recent videos