Assuming this area takes 5 bands to state, my top 5 for now is Keller, Coppell, LD Bell, Timber Creek, and Waxahachie. I know Waxahachie didn't do great at BOA DFW, but they have done quite well at UIL recently so I'm expecting them to bounce back and be able to advance. I do think Southlake Carroll has a good chance at advancing as well based on the improvements they've made over the past several years, so I'd have them at the next one out.

So that’s 8 1’s in region 5. Bringing our Area B total to 21 “1”s. For us to get 6 spots in Area B for state we would need every band in region 20 (9 bands) to get 1’s tomorrow to get us to 30 “1”s. Not impossible but a hard ask. Realistically this area will most likely have 5 bands go to state again. ?

also does anyone know what happened with Grand Prairie not attending?

1 minute ago, josephbandfan said:

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope but it looks like it'll be 5 going to state. And the winds were not friendly today. Lots of props falling and flags flying away lol.

Yeah I felt that on the field. It was very hard setting up front panels at region 30. 

Now that it looks like only 5 bands advance, I'll take a swing at this one.

First 4 Advancing to State (in alpha order)

Bell - COVID or not, this is a really good band.  Great music, well taught, and a culture that knows how to make it happen.  They move well, their guard is wonderful, and they have a show that is enjoyable to watch.  Bell will be near the top of the area.

Coppell - They are moving better than they have, and simply have too many great musicians on the field.  Their show is pretty woodwind heavy, but as long as it's clean they should have no problem advancing.  They have an experienced staff, and a great community supporting them.  Director changes are always tough, but the members at Coppell are pros.  See you in San Antonio Coppell!

Keller - They have been a finalist at every show they have attended since 2015.  Local shows, regionals, super regionals, 6A State, Grand Nationals.  Every one.  If the improvement we saw from HEB to the DFW Regional is any indication, they are just now hitting their stride.  Their show is incredibly hard, but their reputation for peaking at exactly the right time is well-earned.  With a clean show and one of the top brass sections you will find anywhere, they should easily advance and could find themselves as the favorites to come out on top in Area B.

Waxahachie - Don't let the results at BOA DFW fool you... these guys are good.  Let's not forget they were a state FINALIST in 2018, and won* this area last time around.  Their show is definitely more UIL-friendly, and with no shortage of great musicians they will likely find themselves headed to state yet again.   

Spot No. 5 contenders:

Carroll: They have some great momentum coming off of their first BOA Finals appearance.  They've got a cool show, and are clearly building a solid program.  They've been ahead of perennial Area Runner-Up Timber Creek two weeks in a row.  Likely the front-runner for spot No. 5 at this point.

Timber Creek: For the last decade, Timber Creek has been the first band out in Area finals.  Surely at some point their luck is going to change right?  This is the best show that TC has done in a long time, led by their WGI finalist percussion section.  They have nice feature moments for nearly every section, and the sax ensemble in the opening is fantastic!  As menioned above, they've been just behind SLC the first two weeks out, so let's see what they can do leading up to Area.  

Duncanville: Want to talk about history?  The first SMC was held in 1979, and Duncanville was there.  The only years they have not been there were 1982 and last year due to COVID.  Only Sundown HS has more appearances at the SMC.  Their very recent history as well as early season results may lead you to believe that they may be on the outside looking in this year, but counting them out entirely is foolish.  

Keller Central: They are one of the smaller bands in Area B this year, but consistently have creative and unique shows and this one is no exception.  If they can be really, really clean they have a good shot at upsetting some of the larger groups and grabbing that last spot.

Lake Highlands: Do not underestimate this group.  They won their opening show this year in Midlothian, and their new director is the same person that turned Highland Park into a 5A powerhouse.  They have great players, and I expect that they will show up to play at Area.

Yeah, that's 9 bands for 5 spots and only 10 bands make finals.  I'm sure this will change in the days leading up to the contest.  There may be other areas that are more "top-heavy", but this has to be the most competitive area in the state this year.  There are plenty of others that didn't get listed here that are finalist contenders, and if you make finals at this show you've got a shot to advance with a great run.  

1 hour ago, bancl said:

Now that it looks like only 5 bands advance, I'll take a swing at this one.

First 4 Advancing to State (in alpha order)

Bell - COVID or not, this is a really good band.  Great music, well taught, and a culture that knows how to make it happen.  They move well, their guard is wonderful, and they have a show that is enjoyable to watch.  Bell will be near the top of the area.

Coppell - They are moving better than they have, and simply have too many great musicians on the field.  Their show is pretty woodwind heavy, but as long as it's clean they should have no problem advancing.  They have an experienced staff, and a great community supporting them.  Director changes are always tough, but the members at Coppell are pros.  See you in San Antonio Coppell!

Keller - They have been a finalist at every show they have attended since 2015.  Local shows, regionals, super regionals, 6A State, Grand Nationals.  Every one.  If the improvement we saw from HEB to the DFW Regional is any indication, they are just now hitting their stride.  Their show is incredibly hard, but their reputation for peaking at exactly the right time is well-earned.  With a clean show and one of the top brass sections you will find anywhere, they should easily advance and could find themselves as the favorites to come out on top in Area B.

Waxahachie - Don't let the results at BOA DFW fool you... these guys are good.  Let's not forget they were a state FINALIST in 2018, and won* this area last time around.  Their show is definitely more UIL-friendly, and with no shortage of great musicians they will likely find themselves headed to state yet again.   

Spot No. 5 contenders:

Carroll: They have some great momentum coming off of their first BOA Finals appearance.  They've got a cool show, and are clearly building a solid program.  They've been ahead of perennial Area Runner-Up Timber Creek two weeks in a row.  Likely the front-runner for spot No. 5 at this point.

Timber Creek: For the last decade, Timber Creek has been the first band out in Area finals.  Surely at some point their luck is going to change right?  This is the best show that TC has done in a long time, led by their WGI finalist percussion section.  They have nice feature moments for nearly every section, and the sax ensemble in the opening is fantastic!  As menioned above, they've been just behind SLC the first two weeks out, so let's see what they can do leading up to Area.  

Duncanville: Want to talk about history?  The first SMC was held in 1979, and Duncanville was there.  The only years they have not been there were 1982 and last year due to COVID.  Only Sundown HS has more appearances at the SMC.  Their very recent history as well as early season results may lead you to believe that they may be on the outside looking in this year, but counting them out entirely is foolish.  

Keller Central: They are one of the smaller bands in Area B this year, but consistently have creative and unique shows and this one is no exception.  If they can be really, really clean they have a good shot at upsetting some of the larger groups and grabbing that last spot.

Lake Highlands: Do not underestimate this group.  They won their opening show this year in Midlothian, and their new director is the same person that turned Highland Park into a 5A powerhouse.  They have great players, and I expect that they will show up to play at Area.

Yeah, that's 9 bands for 5 spots and only 10 bands make finals.  I'm sure this will change in the days leading up to the contest.  There may be other areas that are more "top-heavy", but this has to be the most competitive area in the state this year.  There are plenty of others that didn't get listed here that are finalist contenders, and if you make finals at this show you've got a shot to advance with a great run.  

I don’t really understand why so many are counting haltom out. They were first out at boa this weekend and were above waxahachie and Keller central. I also think haltoms show is way more UIL based then in the past. I wouldn’t put it against them to take that stop. There show isn’t the most difficult and they have plenty of time to clean. It’s not my favorite show and it’s definitely not on the level of 2019 haltom but I still think it has a chance and shouldn’t be left out . I do agree that Keller and coppell and bell will be going to state but I’m not gonna put anyone in those last two stops cause it’ll just depend on the performance of the shows . We will see . Will be a bloodbath like every year 

40 minutes ago, Jelonfish said:

I don’t really understand why so many are counting haltom out. They were first out at boa this weekend and were above waxahachie and Keller central. I also think haltoms show is way more UIL based then in the past. I wouldn’t put it against them to take that stop. There show isn’t the most difficult and they have plenty of time to clean. It’s not my favorite show and it’s definitely not on the level of 2019 haltom but I still think it has a chance and shouldn’t be left out . I do agree that Keller and coppell and bell will be going to state but I’m not gonna put anyone in those last two stops cause it’ll just depend on the performance of the shows . We will see . Will be a bloodbath like every year 

I completely forgot about Haltom.  You are right, they will ABSOLUTELY be in the conversation!

7 minutes ago, Asaiah said:

Gotta beat the best to be the best!

I think that's the mentality to have. I competed in this area years ago in HS (routinely ending in the bottom half of finals) and I understand the sentiment, but that's the nature of competing in the DFW metroplex. Band talent is deep and the competition to get to state is intense. UIL does their best to align evenly but at the end of the day, there's only so many advancing spots. 

It's hard to break through, but bands can do it!

16 hours ago, Seth_Lev said:

So that’s 8 1’s in region 5. Bringing our Area B total to 21 “1”s. For us to get 6 spots in Area B for state we would need every band in region 20 (9 bands) to get 1’s tomorrow to get us to 30 “1”s. Not impossible but a hard ask. Realistically this area will most likely have 5 bands go to state again. ?

also does anyone know what happened with Grand Prairie not attending?

There are only 8 6A bands registered for region 20, 9 bands at the contest, one of them randomly being 3A

5 hours ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

If you look on Texas Music Forms, Townview Center is under the 6A contest tab when their classification is 3A, this means that there definitely be max 5 bands to state.

You’re right, and looking at the line up there will most certainly be at least 4 1’s in that region. So it looks like it will be 5 bands going to state this year. 

21 hours ago, BandDad4 said:

At somepoint something needs to change. It gets really boring with the same bands each time. I've heard frustrations from kids and parents. Some bands are preordained. There is obvious bias.

I have to disagree...and, trust me, I'm not a dad at one of these powerhouse programs.  I've been through really nice highs and some bone-crushing lows and rebuilds with this band. 

I don't know which bands your referencing but take a look at a few programs.  LD Bell for instance.  They have had success for decades...in 2007, they won Grand Nats, they've won State, they're always in contention at every competition.  In 2016, they finished 16th at BOA San Antonio and in 2017, they finished 15th!  It...was...stunning to those who have watched band for years.  I have no idea what happened those years but obviously they had to rebuild something...now they're back and are awesome just like they were before.

Marcus had been State champs for years until Hebron, FloMo and others came along.  Marcus is still fantastic but they're not the automatic champs they used to be.  And to their credit, Marcus and Bell didn't just sit back and say "Welp...that's it. We're done...we'll just have to be happy with 4th or 5th or just making finals."  They retooled and make the other bands beat them...sometime they win, sometimes they don't.

Haltom's another example.  Haltom doesn't have nearly the resources that other schools have and 10-15 years ago, they weren't the program they currently are.  Now, they are mentioned as a lock virtually every year.  Their success has been building, though, for years and they're set to be contenders for the foreseeable future.

My point is, please don't mistake success/hard work for bias.  There's a reason Keller, FloMo, Marcus and Hebron are where they are...these schools haven't always been juggernauts.  They have a system and program size that allows them to pick from the top players...many schools (like ours) don't have that. 

Is that fair?  Well...yeah. 

This success didn't happen overnight.  It was started many years ago and takes dedication from not only the kids, but the staff from the head director down to the techs. 

But it's not just that...these bands work hard at the middle school level to drum up excitement and talent for when these kids advance to HS.  That kind of support system is absolutely vital to the success of these top bands. 

I know that sometimes it feels like David vs Goliath but, in this scenario, Goliath wins every time.  But many times, the parents take these things harder than the kids.  We desperately want success for our kids but band isn't just about success and failure.  

All the best!

21 hours ago, bancl said:

This right here.  Saying that it's preordained does a disservice to the hard work that students in every program put in day after day.  It's true that the top 4-6 bands in the metroplex hasn't changed much in the last 8 years or so, but that's because those same 4-6 bands have also gotten BETTER.  FloMo, Hebron, Marcus, Keller, Coppell etc. today are WAY better than FloMo, Hebron, Marcus, Keller, Coppell, etc. from 10 years ago.  To catch them, a program has to make a huge leap.  

Waxahachie and Prosper are great examples.  Both were smaller 5A bands not too long ago, and with hard work and great community support they made the big leap and have been SMC Finalists and GN Finalists respectively.  It can be done!

Prosper is such a great example.  A few years ago, barely anyone had heard of them and then....BOOM!  2017 was just a massive breakout year for them and I was so happy to see that happen.

40 minutes ago, Band_dad_of_2 said:

Prosper is such a great example.  A few years ago, barely anyone had heard of them and then....BOOM!  2017 was just a massive breakout year for them and I was so happy to see that happen.

Part of the "BOOM!" that elevated Prosper was the incredible growth of their student population and the Prosper area, which has exploded in the last decade. PHS was a 2A school as recently as 2006! They moved to their new campus in 2012 with barely 1200 students and half the building a shell for future expansion. By the time their band program exploded on the scene in 2017-18 they had close to 4000 students and a new high school was under construction!

Waxahachie has also experienced massive population growth (while not quite as dramatic) and also moved to a new campus in 2018.