30 minutes ago, dvillealumni2018 said:

Also if you scroll far enough you can watch Duncanville's performance for halftime tonight.

It’s hard to get a read on the music performance because the acoustics of the stadium hide a lot of potential inconsistencies. There is definitely some dirt in the visual performance, which is probably a byproduct of there being so many people on the field. I like the design of the show much more than the 2017 and 2018 shows. 

Found this Keller performance from tonight where they perform the show with the closer added (starting after the opener). I like what they’ve done with the props at the beginning, it adds much needed verticality to the visual design imo. Keep adding in cool visual touches so the show peaks just at the right time!!! I like how the Hallelujah and Breathless Alleluia themes come back in the closer. Not their most difficult closer ever, but it still leaves a great final impression. Overall, they sound fantastic (at least on this recording). Like Waxahachie, I think they are way too strong fundamentally not to advance to state.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:02 PM, aaron067 said:

If it's not based on data or historical patterns, then it's just wishful thinking. If that's the case, please just say so in your post.  I didn't mean to sound biting, but there seems to be a lot of baseless conjecture this year.

Chill-lax.  My money's on Waxahachie, but underdogs are predicted all the time.

Now that pretty much all the heavy-hitters competed tonight…

Keller and Coppell are the two that would be shocking to see not advance.

Waxahachie does really well with UIL scoring, as was evident with the Duncanville results from tonight. I think they have a good chance to advance, but hearing that they still have more show to put on the field is a *bit* concerning. 

I think LD Bell will do better than they did in 2018, but is not a lock just because of how tough and unpredictable this area can be. They’ve had a solid season so far. 

Carroll had their first BOA DFW finals appearance and just followed it with a top-half St. Louis finish! Even if they don’t advance, it’s been a historical season! I think the show *might* excel more with BOA than UIL. 

I would be devastated to see Timber Creek end up as alternate once again. It’s really unfortunate that this area just missed the cutoff to take 6 bands to state. 

I have absolutely no idea where Duncanville ends up. It’s hard to count them out based on reputation. If they continue their streak, I hope it’s because of more than reputation. No idea where Haltom ends up either.

9 hours ago, Origin said:

Now that pretty much all the heavy-hitters competed tonight…

Keller and Coppell are the two that would be shocking to see not advance.

Waxahachie does really well with UIL scoring, as was evident with the Duncanville results from tonight. I think they have a good chance to advance, but hearing that they still have more show to put on the field is a *bit* concerning. 

I think LD Bell will do better than they did in 2018, but is not a lock just because of how tough and unpredictable this area can be. They’ve had a solid season so far. 

Carroll had their first BOA DFW finals appearance and just followed it with a top-half St. Louis finish! Even if they don’t advance, it’s been a historical season! I think the show *might* excel more with BOA than UIL. 

I would be devastated to see Timber Creek end up as alternate once again. It’s really unfortunate that this area just missed the cutoff to take 6 bands to state. 

I have absolutely no idea where Duncanville ends up. It’s hard to count them out based on reputation. If they continue their streak, I hope it’s because of more than reputation. No idea where Haltom ends up either.

How many times in a row has it been for Timber Creek being the alternate? I think every time since opening.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, avgbandfan5 said:

my predictions

1.keller ---ADVANCE STATE

2.coppell ---ADVANCE STATE

3.LD bell ---ADVANCE STATE

4.waxahachie ---ADVANCE STATE

5.Timber Creek ---ADVANCE STATE

6.Duncanville

7.Southlake Carroll

8.berkner

9.keller central

10.mansfield

Ouch! Mansfield 10th again.

They just saw fellow MISD school Legacy advance to finals and dreaded rival Summit advance to State at 5A Area F.

Last time at Area B, Summit (first of 2 years in 6A) edged Mansfield out for 9th leaving Mansfield with 10th.

Mansfield's Seniors remember that.

They're definitely going to be motivated.

How are you guys feeling on Fossil Ridge this year? Based on their competitions they seem like they could be a wildcard for bottom half finals or get really close to it. Would be their first since finals appearance since 2014 *shrug*

Also Timber Creek definitely has a strong chance at advancing this year, would love to see them finally make it this year!

2 hours ago, MartintheHarkin said:

How are you guys feeling on Fossil Ridge this year? Based on their competitions they seem like they could be a wildcard for bottom half finals or get really close to it. Would be their first since finals appearance since 2014 *shrug*

Also Timber Creek definitely has a strong chance at advancing this year, would love to see them finally make it this year!

Fossil Ridge definitely has a chance at getting into finals. They're in a great school district for band so I'm sure they're going to be a threat to get into finals. This is a very competitive area though, probably the most competitive in the state, so it's going to be hard. I also would love to see Timber Creek finally advance to state after the heartbreaks they've gone through, but it'll be tough competition with Southlake Carroll and Waxahachie looking very good. This area really needed to have one more state qualifier spot.

Being from Keller myself, I would love to have Fossil Ridge in finals here, but I don't think it is very likely.  There are so many good bands that are going to be left out.  It isn't quite as crazy as 2018 without Prosper, Summit, and Richland, but still ridiculously competitive.

I mean look at just some of the other bands that are competing here:

L.D. Bell

Berkner

Boswell

Southlake Carroll

Keller Central

Coppell

Duncanville

Haltom

Keller

Lake Highlands

Lake Ridge

Mansfield

James Martin

JJ Pearce

Richardson

Timber Creek

Trinity

Waxahachie

At duncanville timber creek and ld bell were very close in 3rd and 4th. Keller and Waxahachie were both pretty far ahead. Coppell had a strong showing at boa st louis.

My updated thoughts for this contest

1.Keller

2. Waxahachie or Coppell

3.Waxahachie or Coppell

4 -6. Tossup between LD bell, Timber Creek, Southlake Carrol and Duncanville

Of course anything can happen, expect the unexpected

21 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I think Southlake will make it! Don’t know over who but based on this weekend I think they have a great chance. It’s gonna be very tight.

Southlake has a lot of momentum right now, and after last weekend their confidence has to be up! But, like you said, it's going to be a very tough competition. So many terrific bands. I'm also not counting out Lake Highlands. 

Arlington Martin's show is a crowd favorite. I don't know how that will play with the judges, but it is popular.

Like I said above, Mansfield is going to be 100%.  Is it enough? Who knows? but I anticipate this being their best performance of the year.

I don't remember being wowed by Duncanville's show this year at McKinney which is unusual because I remember their previous year's shows VERY well.  Still, I wouldn't count them out.

After seeing Duncanville Invitational results, I still think this top 3 is a lock in any order:

Keller

Coppell

Waxahachie

I honestly think the 4th and 5th spots are LD Bell's and Timber Creek's to lose, but of course Southlake, Duncanville, Berkner, Lake Highlands, Trinity, Haltom, Mansfield, Lake Ridge, will have something to say about that

Edit: forgot to mention Keller Central and Fossil Ridge...its clear that some really good bands may end up not going to state or even in finals

A few days out, here's what I'm thinking for this extremely competitive area:

Keller and Coppell are my locks to advance. Both are clearly the favorites and I can see either one winning the area. Keller's clearly bounced back from the initial results at HEB to their normal form, and Coppell's having a breakout year under Shuttlesworth with excellent BOA results at Dallas and St. Louis. I'll give the edge to Keller here given they've won the area in 2018 and 2016, but I won't be surprised to see Coppell on top.

LD Bell and Waxahachie are my next two choices to advance in the 3rd and 4th spots. I'm glad to see Waxahachie has rebounded from missing BOA Dallas finals with the strong showing at Duncanville, and the more UIL-oriented judging there is a good sign for them here to advance. LD Bell's in the middle of a director transition, but I think they're still too strong to miss out on state. I'm avoiding calling them locks though, given their spotty history recently in qualifying for state. Fairly confident on these two, but I won't say they're locks.

That leaves one spot left to qualify for state (if only one more band had gotten a 1🥴). For me this comes down to Timber Creek and Southlake Carroll. Timber Creek has had such bad luck with state with their constant alternate placings that I feel like they're bound to qualify eventually. They have another strong show this year and good placings at Dallas and Duncanville back that up. Southlake Carroll's been having somewhat of a breakout year though, with really good results at HEB, Dallas, and St. Louis. I know area is still using the traditional UIL rubrics, but I really like their show and think it could still do well here. At the moment I'm going with Timber Creek to advance since I really want them to break their alternate streak, but Southlake Carroll has a genuine shot at state.

That leaves bands like Duncanville, Haltom, Keller Central, James Martin, Berkner, and Mansfield on the outside looking in. All bands that could easily qualify for state if they were in another less competitive area. Such is the nature of marching band in Texas.