3 hours ago, mmbandfan said:

Part of the "BOOM!" that elevated Prosper was the incredible growth of their student population and the Prosper area, which has exploded in the last decade. PHS was a 2A school as recently as 2006! They moved to their new campus in 2012 with barely 1200 students and half the building a shell for future expansion. By the time their band program exploded on the scene in 2017-18 they had close to 4000 students and a new high school was under construction!

Waxahachie has also experienced massive population growth (while not quite as dramatic) and also moved to a new campus in 2018. 

Oh, I'm aware.  I remember when Frisco was a drive to the country and had one tiny high school.

Now....not so much.  And it's part of why the power shift happened like I was discussing in my earlier post.  These suburbs grew like crazy and those areas have resources and a large talent pool.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Seth_Lev said:

You’re right, and looking at the line up there will most certainly be at least 4 1’s in that region. So it looks like it will be 5 bands going to state this year. 

I think I made a mistake on this. After looking at some lists Townview is a 3A high school. However they are participating as a Varsity Combined band. I don’t know the specifics but that means that they are combining their student population with another school that they are performing with. This is backed up by the fact that they are on all the performance lists for region 20 6A. However what I don’t know and maybe someone else can help shed some light on is, if they get a 1 will it count toward area B’s state total? According to the rule books, Var-Combined bands can’t advance past region, and the rule book states that for every 5 bands that qualify for area one more goes to state. So if they got a 1, would it count toward the state total because that’s all you need to qualify, or does it not count since they aren’t allowed to advance to area?

Exact wording of the rules:

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure
2. 5A/6A Certification. In Conferences 5A/6A the music area shall certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the state marching band contest. Should fifteen or more bands qualify for advancement in a single conference for the area contest, one band for each five bands that qualifed for advancement to the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/music-ccr-1100-1104.pdf
(A) When students from a middle school, junior high school, or high school are added to students from another middle school, junior high school, or high school to form a pa rticipa ting unit, the resulting group is known as a combined group. High school combined groups may not advance past region competition.

8 hours ago, Seth_Lev said:

I think I made a mistake on this. After looking at some lists Townview is a 3A high school. However they are participating as a Varsity Combined band. I don’t know the specifics but that means that they are combining their student population with another school that they are performing with. This is backed up by the fact that they are on all the performance lists for region 20 6A. However what I don’t know and maybe someone else can help shed some light on is, if they get a 1 will it count toward area B’s state total? According to the rule books, Var-Combined bands can’t advance past region, and the rule book states that for every 5 bands that qualify for area one more goes to state. So if they got a 1, would it count toward the state total because that’s all you need to qualify, or does it not count since they aren’t allowed to advance to area?

Exact wording of the rules:

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure
2. 5A/6A Certification. In Conferences 5A/6A the music area shall certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the state marching band contest. Should fifteen or more bands qualify for advancement in a single conference for the area contest, one band for each five bands that qualifed for advancement to the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/music-ccr-1100-1104.pdf
(A) When students from a middle school, junior high school, or high school are added to students from another middle school, junior high school, or high school to form a pa rticipa ting unit, the resulting group is known as a combined group. High school combined groups may not advance past region competition.

So I looked into Townview center and it is one school BUILDING housing a few different magnet programs, so technically I believe it would count as varsity combined because they are combining magnet schools but it is only one shared band program.

Keller- Lock for state

Coppell- lock for state

(Waxahachie)- Probable state
(LD Bell)- probable state
(Timber Creek)- probable state
(Central)- potential state
(Berkner)- potential state
(Mansfield)-potential state
(Duncanville)- potential state
(Southlake Carroll)- potential state
(J.J. Pierce)- potential state
(Lake Highlands)-potential state
(Lake Ridge)- potential state

Other than Keller and Coppell being locks for state, the other 3 state spots are a toss-up, though LD Bell, Timber Creek, and Waxahachie are likely favorites. The rest of the bands have a chance too, and some great bands will be sitting out of finals...

https://11045bf5-982f-4312-9a8c-5a8d3b6e0e63.filesusr.com/ugd/2a9078_6a609816dbb34734b23857b3f9c9d9a2.pdf

Is the below assuming all received a 1. I believe at N. Crowley and Weatherford received a 2, so would it be safe to say there are some to be removed on this list?

AREA B DRAW ORDER FOR 6A SCHOOLS
CONTEST TO BE HELD AT PENNINGTON FIELD IN HEB
OCTOBER 30TH with rain date Nov. 1st

6A SCHOOLS PERFORMANCE ORDER
Order School Conf. Reg. Draw
1 Arlington HS 6A 5 2
2 Lamar HS 6A 5 5
3 Lake Highlands HS 6A 20 11
4 Sam Houston HS 6A 5 20
5 Weatherford HS 6A 30 22
6 Coppell HS 6A 31 23
7 Boswell HS 6A 30 26
8 Grand Prairie HS 6A 5 30
9 North Crowley HS 6A 30 33
10 Skyline HS 6A 20 37
11 Timber Creek HS 6A 30 42
12 Haltom HS 6A 31 45
13 Nimitz HS 6A 31 49
14 Irving HS 6A 31 52
15 Richardson HS 6A 20 55
16 Waxahachie HS 6A 20 61
17 DeSoto HS 6A 20 65
18 Paschal HS 6A 5 66
19 Fossil Ridge HS 6A 30 74
20 Trinity HS 6A 31 86
21 MacArthur HS 6A 31 89
22 Martin HS 6A 5 96
23 Central HS 6A 30 101
24 Bell HS 6A 31 107
25 Berkner HS 6A 20 115
26 Lake Ridge HS 6A 5 120
27 Cedar Hill HS 6A 5 130
28 Carroll Senior HS 6A 31 137
29 Duncanville HS 6A 20 143
30 Mansfield HS 6A 5 146
31 Bowie HS 6A 5 149
32 Keller HS 6A 30 151
33 Chisholm Trail HS 6A 30 153
34 Pearce HS 6A 20 168
35 South Grand Prairie HS 6A 5 181

2 hours ago, avgbandfan5 said:

considering townview is not on the draw order, it is probable that they do not count towards the total

Can confirm this, new rule about bands combined from multiple HS campuses can't advance to area. If this were a few years ago, there would be 6 state spots here.

43 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

Can confirm this, new rule about bands combined from multiple HS campuses can't advance to area. If this were a few years ago, there would be 6 state spots here.

Dang that sucks… Guess Area B has 29 bands with 1’s and is stuck at 5 Bands advancing to a state for another year. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:41 PM, avgbandfan5 said:

my predictions

1.keller ---ADVANCE STATE

2.coppell ---ADVANCE STATE

3.LD bell ---ADVANCE STATE

4.waxahachie ---ADVANCE STATE

5.Timber Creek ---ADVANCE STATE

6.Duncanville

7.Southlake Carroll

8.berkner

9.keller central

10.mansfield

Predicting that Southlake replaces Waxahachie for State advancement...

3 hours ago, daldhowe said:

Predicting that Southlake replaces Waxahachie for State advancement...

Based on what exactly?  BOA results don’t indicate Area results at all, and, even if they did, Waxahachie was clearly ahead of Carroll in music scores at BOA…even without the last 2 minutes of their show on the field.  Visual is what tanked their score two weeks ago, and that’s specifically related to their design issues this year; however, for a band that hasn’t missed a State Finals in over a decade, I wouldn’t expect Waxahachie to show up to Area and be sloppy.  They know how to play the UIL game better than most.

9 hours ago, aaron067 said:

Based on what exactly?  BOA results don’t indicate Area results at all, and, even if they did, Waxahachie was clearly ahead of Carroll in music scores at BOA…even without the last 2 minutes of their show on the field.  Visual is what tanked their score two weeks ago, and that’s specifically related to their design issues this year; however, for a band that hasn’t missed a State Finals in over a decade, I wouldn’t expect Waxahachie to show up to Area and be sloppy.  They know how to play the UIL game better than 

.....it's just a prediction

14 minutes ago, dvillealumni2018 said:

If anyone is interested, here's a performance link to Waxahachie's' show. I would recommend watching before it gets taken down. 

Super clean. Not the longest show, I don’t even think it’s a full 7 minutes…is there still more to add? I don’t think they’ll have a problem advancing, especially since music matters more than marching.