I'm almost scared to open up this forum considering what happened with it in 2018, but I wanted to know y'alls thoughts on Area B 6A this year since all the keller school are coming back. Here is my current list of bands registered. 

Region 5  -  11 Bands Registered

Arlington HS

Bowie HS

Houston HS

Lamar HS

Martin HS

Cedar Hill HS

Paschal HS

Grand Prairie HS

South Grand Prairie HS

Lake Ridge HS

Mansfield HS

Region 20  -  9 Bands Registered

Skyline HS

Townview HS

Desoto HS

Duncanville HS

Berkner HS

Lake Highlands HS

Pearce HS

Richardson HS

Waxahachie HS

Region 30  -  8 Bands Registered

North Crowley HS

Boswell HS

Chisholm Trail HS

Keller Central HS

Fossil Ridge HS

Keller HS

Timber Creek HS

Weatherford HS

Region 31  -  9 Bands Registered

Haltom HS

Carroll HS

Coppell HS (V)

Coppell HS (JV)

LD Bell HS

Trinity HS

Irving HS

MacArthur HS

Nimitz HS

Total  -  37 Bands Registered 

(Let me know if I misspelled a bands name, if I missed a band or if there are any future updates)

(Other note, UIL Region is on October 12th for Regions 5, 30, 31, With October 13th for Region 20)

8 hours ago, Seth_Lev said:

I'm almost scared to open up this forum considering what happened with it in 2018, but I wanted to know y'alls thoughts on Area B 6A this year since all the keller school are coming back. Here is my current list of bands registered. 

Region 5  -  11 Bands Registered

Arlington HS

Bowie HS

Houston HS

Lamar HS

Martin HS

Cedar Hill HS

Paschal HS

Grand Prairie HS

South Grand Prairie HS

Lake Ridge HS

Mansfield HS

Region 20  -  9 Bands Registered

Skyline HS

Townview HS

Desoto HS

Duncanville HS

Berkner HS

Lake Highlands HS

Pearce HS

Richardson HS

Waxahachie HS

Region 30  -  8 Bands Registered

North Crowley HS

Boswell HS

Chisholm Trail HS

Keller Central HS

Fossil Ridge HS

Keller HS

Timber Creek HS

Weatherford HS

Region 31  -  9 Bands Registered

Haltom HS

Carroll HS

Coppell HS (V)

Coppell HS (JV)

LD Bell HS

Trinity HS

Irving HS

MacArthur HS

Nimitz HS

Total  -  37 Bands Registered 

(Let me know if I misspelled a bands name, if I missed a band or if there are any future updates)

(Other note, UIL Region is on October 12th for Regions 5, 30, 31, With October 13th for Region 20)

hopefully 30 bands get a one so Timbercreek might finally advance ?

Potential Finalists (no order):

Martin, Bell, Coppell, Duncanville, Waxahachie, Timber Creek, Keller Central, Haltom, Carroll, Lake Ridge?, Berkner

Not sure about Berkner but they could make it. Didn't even know Lake Ridge was 6A but they have an interesting show this year. If they work hard and make the show look clean, I think they'll make finals.

Only question is... who's gonna make state? The max that Area B can take is 7 but realistically, would be 5-6.

Potential state representatives: (italicized = most likely)

Coppell, Keller, Duncanville, Waxahachie, Bell (if they can't make state in their own house. hecc uil), Timber Creek, Haltom, and Carroll

Hoping that every band makes a 1 at region so... and the fact that this contest will be also difficult to judge because UIL judging is just bad.
Only a miracle and legendary performance can happen at Pennington Field...

Edited by Raydurs
i just realized i completely forgot keller on the list, my bad.

2 hours ago, Raydurs said:

Martin, Bell, Coppell, Duncanville, Waxahachie, Timber Creek, Keller Central, Haltom, Carroll, Lake Ridge?, Berkner

Not sure about Berkner but they could make it. Didn't even know Lake Ridge was 6A but they have an interesting show this year. If they work hard and make the show look clean, I think they'll make finals.

Only question is... who's gonna make state? The max that Area B can take is 7 but realistically, would be 5-6.

Coppell, Keller, Duncanville, Waxahachie, Bell (if they can't make state in their own house. hecc uil), Timber Creek, Haltom, and Carroll

Hoping that every band makes a 1 at region so... and the fact that this contest will be also difficult to judge because UIL judging is just bad.

You don't think Keller falls under the "most likely" category?  Their shows are always pretty UIL heavy on state years- they almost always do better in State Finals than BOA San Antonio finals and haven't missed state in years.

15 hours ago, Raydurs said:

It's interesting to see Keller being blown off as a non-competitor after one contest where they had no working electronics in finals, and only 3 out of 5 parts of their show on the field.  Keller had one of the more complex designs on the field at HEB, but got beaten by groups that had most if not all of their show on the field and were cleaner.  As close as the spreads were, if Keller's electronics work they are 3rd at worst at HEB. 

They have been a finalist at the SMC every year since 2014 (covid excluded) and at BOA SA every year since 2015.  They are well known for playing the long game, and I think when Area B rolls around they will still be the ones to beat.  

17 hours ago, Raydurs said:

As numerous other have also stated, I think that Keller is still more likely to go to state. While acknowledging HEB BOA and UIL all scored very differently. Looking at Carroll vs Keller at HEB, Keller came out on top. Especially in the music and marching captions which is where it matters if you want to try to compare them for UIL. Not saying Keller is guaranteed or that Carroll is bad, I just think that putting Carroll as likely and not Keller is a little unfair.

When it comes to the other school, I feel I need to see them before I make any judgments. The 2 competitions I’m looking at to estimate how they’ll do is boa DFW and Duncanville invitational. DFW since that’s where most of these bands will be competing at and I can view them from box5. Duncanville since they are transforming their judging system to reflect UIL’s. Also, lot of the upper Area B bands like to compete there. 

Sorry folks. just went over this again and completely forgot to add Keller; thought I italicized it. Entirely my fault, before y'all Keller fans hang me.

I'll assume they'll have the full show on the field by Area but judging from what I saw at HEB Marching: they didn't have a ballad on the field yet and the run was alright. I'm sure they'll greatly improve from then and soon. Again, it is still early-mid season. Nonetheless, this area is too much of a brain game to talk about. [imagine talking about area d and area i]

*Here's something to note: Carroll pretty much has their entire show on the field, all they gotta do is clean. They've also gotten a lot better in recent years.

I know the judging is different, but after BOA DFW, it looks like Keller is still the one to beat (I think they won their Area in 2014, 2016, and 2018*). I would be shocked to see Coppell not advance…also LD Bell (especially since they aren’t attending BOA SA, so all focus will be on UIL.) 

Call me crazy, but I don’t think Waxahachie should be underestimated one bit. Yes, 14th at BOA DFW seems doomed, but I think this show can do very very well at UIL.

Timber Creek is giving probably their cleanest show since their recent rise in success. I would love love love to see them advance. Carroll has a good shot too.

Those are my top 6 right now.

Haltom missed BOA finals (not surprisingly…I also had them first out). And there’s obviously Duncanville. Idk when the last time was they didn’t advance to state. Though I do think the area judges were extra nice to them in 2018…

*Edit: Forgot that Keller *technically* didn’t win that year 

On 10/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, Raydurs said:

Is Prosper no longer in Area B?

8 hours ago, Origin said:

I know the judging is different, but after BOA DFW, it looks like Keller is still the one to beat (I think they won their Area in 2014, 2016, and 2018*). I would be shocked to see Coppell not advance…also LD Bell (especially since they aren’t attending BOA SA, so all focus will be on UIL.) 

Call me crazy, but I don’t think Waxahachie should be underestimated one bit. Yes, 14th at BOA DFW seems doomed, but I think this show can do very very well at UIL.

Timber Creek is giving probably their cleanest show since their recent rise in success. I would love love love to see them advance. Carroll has a good shot too.

Those are my top 6 right now.

Haltom missed BOA finals (not surprisingly…I also had them first out). And there’s obviously Duncanville. Idk when the last time was they didn’t advance to state. Though I do think the area judges were extra nice to them in 2018…

*Edit: Forgot that Keller *technically* didn’t win that year 

I agree about Waxahachie. Duncanville placed 18th at DFW in 2018 and still made state. Waxahachie sounded really good on Saturday at prelims. The visual design didn't seem as exciting as the years before but I still see them doing well in UIL. I also loved their closer.

Timber Creek was the best surprise of BOA for me on Saturday. I had no knowledge or expectations of their show beforehand and they blew me away. Absolutely one of my favorite and I think most effective ballads I’ve seen this year with all the guard and their blue flags forming the big oasis pool in the middle of the band. I was surprised they weren’t a little higher in the rankings. Once the closer is put on, I can’t wait to see what they do the rest of this season.

12 hours ago, Origin said:

Waxahachie has been dealing with some pretty significant design team issues this season.  They knew going into DFW that some things were going to get nailed.  

The staff is retooling after meeting with the judges, and the kids are working hard to make changes that will hopefully see them come out at Area and the two SA contests in a way that makes a positive and memorable impact.  Only time will tell how that translates into scores and placement.  

Seriously hoping bell can make it this year. I think with some more work on tidying some things up and the addition of their closer could definitely give them a big chance. But as we know the competition here in area b is fierce so they’ll really have to work for it if they want it.