TXHSFB 2021

ViewFromTheBox

So it's Friday night in October in Texas which means it's football time. And after this week's games are finished, we'll be halfway through the regular season already.

I kind of feel like I'm one of the few people who love both Texas high school football and marching band (but I'm willing to be proven wrong!).

But anyway, as we reach the halfway point of the season, how are you feeling about your school's team season so far? Are you booking your spot at AT&T Stadium for a state title game? Or are you just ready for the season to get finished?

I will say that Summit has looked good when they want to. They've got the talent to go far in the postseason when they play like it. But getting out of their own way seems to be a problem even in Week 6.

Also, just a heads up, 2020 4A state marching band champs Argyle (also the defending football champs) and runner up Melissa are WFAA's game of the week. You can see their halftime show on their YouTube stream tonight:

We like the football too!   I’ll admit in don’t follow the rankings for the Highschool team very closely.  We’ve had some losses, but also had lots of wins, so it just depends on how well we play out the season.  

I follow the college football more than the Highschool, but we definitely enjoy the Hs games as well as the halftime! :) 

I was kind of the same, but last summer I decided to get the Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine and try to escape the DFW bubble and pay attention to more of the state. Actually, I love the first couple of days of the state championships when you have the 1A and 2A schools playing.

I'm struggling to watch college football. Just way too many commercial breaks for my liking. High school has a better flow.

Both Keller and Southlake Carroll were 5-0 up until their match today where Carroll won. Not a big surprise but you could tell the Keller kids were a little bummed that their winning streak had ended. Their game was originally last night but was rescheduled to earlier today due to weather. Really wanted to watch both bands at halftime! I've never been a big fan of watching football and would much rather watch other sports, but it is still fun to keep up with schools here and there.

I absolutely love high school and college football. Even as dismal as Leander has looked for a long time now, I still enjoyed going to the games. I was always one of the few band moms who actually stayed put after halftime and watched the rest of the game. ?

Today I’m traveling with my hubby to Georgia but we’re going to be listening to the Razorback game at 11 if we can!!  Woo pig soouuuuiiiieeeeee!!!!! 

11 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

Both Keller and Southlake Carroll were 5-0 up until their match today where Carroll won. Not a big surprise but you could tell the Keller kids were a little bummed that their winning streak had ended. Their game was originally last night but was rescheduled to earlier today due to weather. Really wanted to watch both bands at halftime! I've never been a big fan of watching football and would much rather watch other sports, but it is still fun to keep up with schools here and there.

Yeah, I caught that game on the SLC stream. I was impressed with Keller early but SLC is just a beast. Have to think they are the favorites in Region I and we might end up with Dodge Bowl II in December.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

So it's Friday night in October in Texas which means it's football time. And after this week's games are finished, we'll be halfway through the regular season already.

I kind of feel like I'm one of the few people who love both Texas high school football and marching band (but I'm willing to be proven wrong!).

But anyway, as we reach the halfway point of the season, how are you feeling about your school's team season so far? Are you booking your spot at AT&T Stadium for a state title game? Or are you just ready for the season to get finished?

I will say that Summit has looked good when they want to. They've got the talent to go far in the postseason when they play like it. But getting out of their own way seems to be a problem even in Week 6.

Also, just a heads up, 2020 4A state marching band champs Argyle (also the defending football champs) and runner up Melissa are WFAA's game of the week. You can see their halftime show on their YouTube stream tonight:

Summit had a GREAT game tonight! They beat Richland 40-16. I LOVE marching band AND football. HUGE Buckeyes fan, pretty big Cowboys fan and we cheer on Summit every Friday. Hubby said Richland has a pretty good quarterback, but either they have no O line or Summit's defense is superb. 

If anyone is looking to watch a good game tomorrow night and possibly sneak in watching a good band performance, the Dave Campbell's Texas Football crew will be doing a watch along for the Vandegrift vs. Cedar Ridge game. Not sure if they'll really show anything from the halftime shows (I can't remember how it went for the first time they did this). But Southlake Carroll head coach Riley Dodge and West Mesquite head coach Frank Sandoval will join them if you want to learn more about the X's and O's of football.

Also, that game might be for the District 25-6A title with Vandegrift coming in undefeated and Cedar RIdge undefeated in district play.

It will be on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveCampbellsTF

14 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

If anyone is looking to watch a good game tomorrow night and possibly sneak in watching a good band performance, the Dave Campbell's Texas Football crew will be doing a watch along for the Vandegrift vs. Cedar Ridge game. Not sure if they'll really show anything from the halftime shows (I can't remember how it went for the first time they did this). But Southlake Carroll head coach Riley Dodge and West Mesquite head coach Frank Sandoval will join them if you want to learn more about the X's and O's of football.

Also, that game might be for the District 25-6A title with Vandegrift coming in undefeated and Cedar RIdge undefeated in district play.

It will be on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveCampbellsTF

Ohhhhh nice!  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, heads up for anyone looking to go to a game in the San Antonio area on Friday. Reagan and CTJ will be squaring off at Heroes Stadium. Johnson comes in 8-0 while Reagan is 6-2 overall and 6-0 in district play. This game will decide the District 26-6A title. Should be a good game, and considering the site, I don't even think I have to mention the halftime shows. Not sure if there's going to be a stream for that game though. If only teleportation was a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all, it's playoff time! Now the marbles are all on the line as 64 teams in each bracket (or 32 in the case of the 1A brackets) square off to the right to hoist the trophy at AT&T Stadium in December.

My primary focus is on the Class 5A Division I bracket where it feels like just about anything can happen.

On the Region I side of the bracket, things got blown wide open this past Friday as Amarillo Tascosa QB BT Daniels suffered a broken leg against Lubbock Coronado. The Rebels entered the game as the favorites to get to the state semis, but this injury changes everything. The favorite status now transfers to Colleyville Heritage. But Tascosa's got a great defense, Coronado's got momentum on their side after the big win against Tascosa and Summit is just lurking and ready for another run to the fifth round. (Also for the band nerds, Azle and Summit face off on Friday at Newsom Stadium in the bi-district round.)

Region II is going to be a knock-down drag-out battle to get to the state semis. This region features the No. 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10 teams in the state rankings, plus a great Magnolia West team. There will be several match ups in this part of the bracket that should be state championship games, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Denton Ryan ought to be the favorite, but HP wants revenge for last year and College Station might break up the DFW party.

Region III appears to be a two-horse race between Manvel and Katy Paetow. Manvel took down Paetow a couple of weeks ago in district play, although it was close. A good dark horse candidate is Dripping Springs, who checks in at No. 6 in the DCTF state rankings. (Also for the band nerds, Buda Johnson and Cedar Park match up in the first round at Shelton Stadium.)

Finally, Region IV is a struggle to predict. The early season favorites in CC Vets Memorial have struggled throughout this season, which might open the door to an RGV team like McAllen Memorial to finally get to the state semis. Or CC Flour Bluff might sneak through.

I've got Colleyville Heritage, Denton Ryan, Manvel and McAllen Memorial advancing to the state semis with Ryan winning over Manvel to go back-to-back.

In the other classifications, I have GP North Shore (6A DI), Westlake (6A DII), Aledo (5A DII), Stephenville (4A DI), Carthage (4A DII), West (3A DI), Franklin (3A DII), Refugio (2A DI), Mart (2A DII), Abbott (1A DI) and Motley County (1A DII).

District 4-5A DI got a clean sweep of District 3. Summit essentially controlled every part of its game against Azle. They now face El Paso Chapin, who came back after Amarillo Caprock led 28-21 and had the ball at the Chapin goal line. But a fumble and long Chapin TD drive and 2 point conversion gave the Huskies the win.

Also, shout out to Stanton in 3A DII for knocking off #3 Childress after entering the game as 47 point underdogs according to DCTF. Lot of upsets in the first round this year. Love to see it.

Finally, an interesting stat for Grand Nationals. Schools with bands at GN finished 0-6 last night (Vista Ridge did not make the playoffs).

Hey, it's Area Round time, which means the start of long travel season (especially for those DFW vs. West Texas match ups). Summit travels out to Grande Communications Stadium in Midland to face El Paso Chapin. Hope the football teams has as much success as the band has had at that stadium. Won't be able to make the trip out there (I'm crazy, but not that crazy).

If anyone's looking for a game to watch tonight, the DCTF is doing their last watch along tonight with the El Campo vs. Lindale game. Ought to be a good game.

So who still has their team in the hunt and who is free for their first Friday night in who knows how long?

• 2 weeks later...

So uh, yeah, let's talk about that regional semifinal round we just had. We lost SIX defending state champions in the span of roughly seven hours on Friday.

South Oak Cliff knocked off Aledo, and that was no fluke. The Golden Bears took it to the Bearcats, who fail to advance to the state semifinal round for the first time since 2012. Then hours later on that same field (Newsom Stadium) in 4A DI, Stephenville knocked out Argyle. Up in Prosper (?), China Spring sprung the upset on Carthage who was the consensus landslide pick to win 4A DII.

In 3A DI, Brock avenged last year's loss to Jim Ned in the same round with a 70-25 (!!!) win. Then in 3A DII, Abernathy upended Canadian. And finally in the six man ranks, Westbrook knocked out 1A DI defending champ Sterling City. So now we will have at least 8 brackets with a new champion (Westlake won 6A DI last year but is in the DII bracket this year and Balmorhea (1A DII) lost the week before). I'm not sure we've had a round like that before.

Thankfully, Summit held off a really good Midlothian squad in one of the most electric playoff football atmospheres I've been at. The Gopher-Warrior Bowl is very underrated in the DFW area. They get another rematch with Colleyville Heritage on Friday night at Birdville Fine Arts and Athletic Complex (the first football game I'll get to see at that stadium). If you're in the DFW area looking for a Friday night game, that's the one to go to.

Other notable games this coming weekend, we've got Allen vs. Southlake Carroll (when was the last time Allen was an underdog in a playoff game), Duncanville vs. Desoto, GP North Shore vs. Atascocita, Vandegrift vs. Westlake, Denton Ryan vs. College Park and so many more. As DCTF's Greg Tepper says, this is where the fireworks factory begins.

Best of luck to those with teams still in the playoffs!

So we are all set now for the state semifinal rounds, except for 1A which saw four tickets punched for Arlington (Motley County vs. Strawn and Westbrook vs. May).

The Summit offense seems to be doing the thing were you do just enough to pass the class as the Jags raced out to a 14-3 lead on Colleyville Heritage and then held on for dear life for a 21-9 win and their second straight 5A DI Region 1 title. They'll face off against College Station who took down defending champ Denton Ryan in a 26-21 thriller (and we have lost 7 defending state champs so far). Katy Paetow advanced to the state semifinals in the fourth year of that school's existence. They'll face Corpus Christi Flour Bluff who is looking to get to their first ever state title game. (And astute readers will now realize that I missed all four region champs in my predictions, which is why I don't do any of this predicting stuff.)

There are some great games elsewhere in the state. You've got Southlake Carrol vs. Duncanville up in the Metroplex. Houston vs. Austin bragging rights are on the line with Katy vs. Lake Travis and Galena Park North Shore vs. Westlake. South Oak Cliff's Cinderella run continues with a match up against Lubbock Cooper. And I know I'm missing a lot more.

If you've still got a team in the battle, it's going to be an intense game this week. One more win and you've got a spot here at AT&T Stadium next week. Best of luck to all 44 teams still playing football in December!

So Summit's run towards state came to an end Friday at the hands of College Station. I figured they probably would lose, but the game was tied at 14 going to the fourth quarter and somehow it stings a bit more than if they had just gotten blown out like everyone thought. But oh well. Allegedly the sophomore QB who will take over next year is better than the graduating senior QB (who was really good as well) and dropping to 5A DII with the proposed alignment makes me think deep playoff runs will continue to be a thing.

Anyway, College Station and Katy Paetow is the night cap Friday night in the 5A DI. Also want to note that we will get Duncanville vs. Galena Park North Shore Part III again Saturday afternoon. You might remember North Shore won in 2018 on a last-play hail mary, which was insane. Really pulling for Duncanville HC Reginald Samples to get his elusive state title.

Here's the schedule for the state championships, if anyone is head up here to Arlington this week:

Wednesday
11am - 1A DI - May vs. Westbrook
2pm - 1A DII - Strawn vs. Motley County
7pm - 2A DI - Shiner vs. Hawley

Thursday
11am - 2A DII - Falls City vs. Stratford
3pm - 3A DI - Lorena vs. Brock
7pm - 3A DII - Franklin vs. Gunter

Friday
11am - 4A DI - Austin LBJ vs. Stephenville
3pm - 4A DII - China Spring vs. Gilmer
7pm 5A DI - College Station vs. Katy Paetow

Saturday
11am - 5A DII - South Oak Cliff vs. Liberty Hill
3pm - 6A DI - Duncanville vs. Galena Park North Shore
7pm - 6A DII - Denton Guyer vs. Austin Westlake

Finally, I do want to mention that Dave Campbell passed away Friday night at the age of 96. Dave started Dave Campbell's Texas Football in 1960, covering Texas football from the premier college schools al the way down to the little 1A towns you've probably never heard of. It revolutionized the Texas high school football media coverage, and he left an incredible mark on the sport. Honestly, TXHSFB might not be exactly what it is without him. The Bally Sports Southwest crew did a good job remembering him Saturday night.