UIL Area F 5A 2021

13 hours ago, lost said:

This is what’s always made uil so nerve-wracking. A really strong, sometimes state-finalist level program might miss state altogether because of a rough run at area finals.

Heck we’ve seen strong finalist level bands miss out on area due to timing penalties at region. Every single performance leading up to UIL state matters, they’re all weighted the same and a band really can’t let their guard down at any moment.

The band I tech for in Austin has a BOA length show, so we had to start halfway through our 5 minute entrance time and still were 15 seconds from disqualification. Talk about tense for some of these bands that could throw away a run at state by not managing time correctly! 

10 hours ago, Quadmom68 said:

Four places also sounds like a huge jump, at least to me. Can anyone tell us if this is commonplace or does it rarely happen? 

In 2018, I think Summit made 9th in area finals in 6A, and in 2013 they were 9th in Area D. I'm not sure if they've ever advanced to state, but I know they haven't the previous 3 years. (minus one due to Covid) I would love to see BOTH Summit and Legacy advance on Saturday, as well as any other MISD school! If Summit can't advance, I'll cheer just as loudly (well, maybe not QUITE as loudly 😊) for Legacy as I would for Summit. 

I know you said you were new to this particular blog, but you don't sound new to the ins and outs of marching band. I actually am. I was genuinely asking if going from 7th to 4th is a big leap because I don't know. I wasn't trying to crap on Legacy at all, and your reply, structured exactly like mine, makes me think that you thought I was. 🤔

My apologies for any miscommunication. I do believe that it is not uncommon for bands who perform earlier in the day to have large placement leaps from prelims to finals. Some bands may have better or worse runs from prelims to finals as well, which could also explain the placement jumps. But either way, Summit’s jump was impressive.

As far as Legacy, I only mention them because I believe they are most similar to Summit in that they are both extremely successful and have placed similarly throughout the season. I am not attempting to put down Legacy or Summit, and I should’ve clarified that in my last post. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to predictions, and I believe both Summit and Legacy will be fighting for a spot in the top 4, which is why I compared them to Summit. It appears that there is a Summit vs Legacy debate that is starting to form, but I believe there is no need for it, as both schools have a fighting chance to place highly. 

I also apologize if it seems like I was feuding with you. I believe we’re both hoping their season doesn’t end Saturday. 

Wishing luck to all bands competing!

I took the time last night to look for videos of each band and I've got to say it didn't clear it up for me. Everybody is facing the same problems (stickouts/visual dirt) and I think it's just a game of who's been the most focused in rehearsal this week and on the field Saturday. Every one of the top 5-8 bands has a good product and is in the running in my opinion, I wish I could stream it given I have the weekend off! 

58 minutes ago, box5sop said:

I took the time last night to look for videos of each band and I've got to say it didn't clear it up for me. Everybody is facing the same problems (stickouts/visual dirt) and I think it's just a game of who's been the most focused in rehearsal this week and on the field Saturday. Every one of the top 5-8 bands has a good product and is in the running in my opinion, I wish I could stream it given I have the weekend off! 

Honestly I couldn't agree more its such a close competition very excited for Saturday 

1 hour ago, Jack_0131 said:

Being in the Aledo band, I see us and Azle being neck and neck all the way. At the BISD comp, our finals scores were very close, and it will most likely be the same on Saturday. I could see Aledo going as high as second place, but that’s just my bias leaking through. Every band will be bringing their A-game and it will be fun to watch (and perform) in three days time.

Well, I know that lots of people here talk highly about Aledo! Y'all should do very well! Good luck! 😊

10 hours ago, ViewFromThePodium said:

Hey Momma! We’re all real people who aren’t doing anything wrong! :) We just happen to have similar usernames. 

That may be, but it does look a little weird when ALL of your names start the same, unique way that an established user has used for years. And you have to know that when ALL of your predictions have the same 2 bands in the exact same places, that also looks weird. And then there's this, which I don't think @viewfromthebox would appreciate. Really? Just swapping 2 letters? That's not even clever. 

Screenshot_20211020-205440_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, Quadmom68 said:

That may be, but it does look a little weird when ALL of your names start the same, unique way that an established user has used for years. And you have to know that when ALL of your predictions have the same 2 bands in the exact same places, that also looks weird. And then there's this, which I don't think @viewfromthebox would appreciate. Really? Just swapping 2 letters? That's not even clever. 

Screenshot_20211020-205440_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, this is starting to get a bit too weird for me...

19 hours ago, box5sop said:

Just curious....is there video of Burleson Centennial out there?

On 10/20/2021 at 10:13 PM, Jack_0131 said:

Being in the Aledo band, I see us and Azle being neck and neck all the way. At the BISD comp, our finals scores were very close, and it will most likely be the same on Saturday. I could see Aledo going as high as second place, but that’s just my bias leaking through. Every band will be bringing their A-game and it will be fun to watch (and perform) in three days time.

I just saw y'all's video at Birdville and it was just fantastic! I especially enjoyed the Walk Like an Egyptian segment. ❤️

Seems like a couple bands are having pushback about show designs of that nature this year. Hopefully students voice their opinions and can influence the design teams future choices. That being said, I've always wanted to hear the Prince of Egypt's opening hit on the field and it was great. 

9 hours ago, lost said:

I’m not the happiest with Aledo’s show design seeming it’s culturally insensitive from my perspective but they do perform on a high level, I’ll give them that.

I’m sorry but literally no one thinks that. Ancient Egypt was a thing 3000 years ago, which is what our show is themed after. It isn’t about modern day Egypt; if it was, I could see your argument. You can take any conclusions from our show as you will, but it will take some lengthy justification to prove that hyperbolic claim.

4 minutes ago, Jack_0131 said:

I’m sorry but literally no one thinks that. Ancient Egypt was a thing 3000 years ago, which is what our show is themed after. It isn’t about modern day Egypt; if it was, I could see your argument. You can take any conclusions from our show as you will, but it will take some lengthy justification to prove that hyperbolic claim.

I totally agree. That is such a reach. While I don't really like the song "Walk Like an Egyptian", just because of personal preference, that sax solo really saves it.