UIL Area F 5A 2021

So as of this moment, this is my prediction for finals (in no particular order):

Summit
Azle
Aledo
Birdville
Burleson Centennial
Colleyville Heritage
Legacy
Midlothian
Richland
Granbury

And then to be honest, I really think you can make a legitimate argument for any one of these 10 groups to grab a state spot. Every group is going to have to have their best absolute best run of the season in order to have a shot at advancing (which I know is a given, but even more so with this area). I honestly don't think you can lock anyone band into a state slot just yet. To me, this feels like a super wide open area because of how evenly matched everyone is.

Can not wait for Oct. 23 to roll around.

Schedule is out:

10:00 AM - Azle

10:15 AM - Burleson

10:30 AM - Newman Smith

10:45 AM - Southwest

11:00 AM - North Side

11:30 AM - Brewer

11:45 AM - Colleyville Heritage

12:00 PM - Burleson Centennial

12:15 PM - Cleburne

12:30 PM - Richland

12:45 PM - Arlington Heights

1:45 PM - Summit

2:00 PM - Midlothian

2:15 PM - Creekview

2:30 PM - Timberview

2:45 PM - Legacy

3:00 PM - Birdville

3:30 PM - Aledo

3:45 PM - Joshua

4:00 PM - Saginaw

4:15 PM - Grapevine

4:30 PM - Granbury

5:15 PM - Awards/Announce Finals

7:30 PM - Finals begin

10:15 PM - Awards Ceremony

http://www.uilmusic31.org/area-f-5a-marching.html

On 10/13/2021 at 10:03 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

Schedule is out:

10:00 AM - Azle

10:15 AM - Burleson

10:30 AM - Newman Smith

10:45 AM - Southwest

11:00 AM - North Side

11:30 AM - Brewer

11:45 AM - Colleyville Heritage

12:00 PM - Burleson Centennial

12:15 PM - Cleburne

12:30 PM - Richland

12:45 PM - Arlington Heights

1:45 PM - Summit

2:00 PM - Midlothian

2:15 PM - Creekview

2:30 PM - Timberview

2:45 PM - Legacy

3:00 PM - Birdville

3:30 PM - Aledo

3:45 PM - Joshua

4:00 PM - Saginaw

4:15 PM - Grapevine

4:30 PM - Granbury

5:15 PM - Awards/Announce Finals

7:30 PM - Finals begin

10:15 PM - Awards Ceremony

http://www.uilmusic31.org/area-f-5a-marching.html

I'm so glad Summit has an afternoon time. They tend not to do as well when they have morning prelims. (only in my limited experience) 

On 10/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

You should see the football, too!

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is looking for a neutral game to go to, Colleyville Heritage and Summit square off at Mustang-Panther Stadium on Friday night to essentially decide the district title. Should be a great game and halftime. Wish I could make it up there.

Side note, WFAA channel 8 was at Summit this morning to promote the game tonight, and drumline and about a third of the rest of the band was there, along with the drill team and cheerleaders. The camera man must be a fan of drumline, because they were actually featured a LOT. My poor son had to be there at 4:30 am, has a pep rally today and will be at the game tonight. He's going to be exhausted. (they really should have used more of the band, because as it was, it appeared that Summit had an even smaller band than they already have). I got loads of great pictures and video! 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, Band_dad_of_2 said:

This is going to be a GREAT contest.

Here's my prediction...Heritage or Summit take 1st (they're both great).  Richland will take 3rd (or 1st or 2nd...who knows!!!). 

Heritage/Summit/Richland

The fight will be for the final spot.

Aledo HS
Burleson Centennial
Mansfield Legacy HS
Azle HS
Midlothian HS
Granbury HS

Based on the results from the Birdville contest, I'm revising my prediction slightly.

Still going with Heritage and Summit advancing but the battle is for those two final spots with some really deserving bands missing out.

I don't think Richland is a lock any more.  Azle's result at Birdville was really impressive and they're goooood.  And Aledo being right there with Azle and winning the music caption bodes well for them. 

Richland needs to work on their closer this week but that show is high energy and impressive. 

If you pin me down now, these are the schools fighting it out for the last two spots. 

Azle

Aledo

Richland

Burleson Centennial

My concern about Azle is that performance time...being the first band to perform can be tough.

Best of luck to all!!

1 hour ago, ViewFromTheField said:

I also agree. Being a summit alumni, I do have hope for them as they are doing extremely well this season. However, I feel Legacy’s show is stronger musically and has a better overall effect. Given that both bands have placed high at all competitions, and Legacy beat them at POC, I’m excited to see them compete head to head once more. Many people in this forum have been predicting summit to place top 3 at area finals, but I have yet to see evidence of why they are so confident. This area is cutthroat and several bands will be out for blood. Good luck to all the bands competing!

I think the evidence is Summits placement over at Midland.

6 hours ago, ViewFromTheField said:

I also agree. Being a summit alumni, I do have hope for them as they are doing extremely well this season. However, I feel Legacy’s show is stronger musically and has a better overall effect. Given that both bands have placed high at all competitions, and Legacy beat them at POC, I’m excited to see them compete head to head once more. Many people in this forum have been predicting summit to place top 3 at area finals, but I have yet to see evidence of why they are so confident. This area is cutthroat and several bands will be out for blood. Good luck to all the bands competing!

I think many people thought the scoring was wonky at Mansfield POC. If memory serves, it was a shocker to see Martin finish so low. There was an audible gasp in the stadium as that was announced. 

Not to take anything away from Legacy, (because honestly, I haven't seen them again since POC) I do know that POC was a first contest, ever, for a big chunk of kids at Summit and the band has gotten smaller, all while steadily improving and getting 2nd at Midland BOA and 4th at McKinney, after rising THREE spots from prelims standings. I'm a newbie at following marching band, really, (just found this blog in 2019 and I honestly don't understand a lot of the jargon and acronyms) but isn't that a pretty large leap? From 7th after prelims to 4th overall? Of course, from what I've learned here, I'm pretty sure their show leans towards BOA scoring. Someone please let me know if I'm wrong. I do think that, in the last 4 years (my son is a senior) this is the BEST year, visually and general effect-wise that I've seen from Summit. Such creative props, with a giant pinball rolling around the field. Year before last was pretty good too with their "Last Ones" show and percussion having a part using djembe drums. Of course musically, they always sound great to me, and they've made huge strides the last 3 and ½ years with Mr Kanicki pushing them to be their best! 

For me, I think it's two things for thinking Summit is currently ahead of Legacy. First, I saw the video of the finals run at BOA Midland and that was a very clean run for Summit. Like 1000 miles better than at Mansfield POC. And second, Summit took Music Analysis over Highland Park at McKinney finals. While yes, the judging system between that and area isn't the same, that's still a pretty big deal, especially when there are three music judges and just two marching judges. I do wish the two went head to head again before Saturday, but I don't get to make the schedule.

Either way Saturday will be really, really interesting.

Edit: Also, the only thing that matters is Saturday's performance(s). Nothing is preordained, especially in this area. So it all comes down to how the groups perform on Saturday.

1 hour ago, box5sop said:

So is it a requirement for all MISD alumni to have a ViewFromThe(insert location) username now? 

I hope not. This is really odd, confusing and a bit concerning.

For the record, my username comes from a sport blog I had for a while in college as a sports journalism major (so technically not band related). I have no idea where the rest came from.

Just to further obfuscate the Summit vs Legacy debate, when MISD hand picked students for the orchestra for their summer musical, literally half were from Summit. 

Percussion has been dominated at All Region for the past few years by Lake Ridge's former Center Snare and Summit's Tenor 1. Last year Legacy broke through the SHS/LRHS stick and mallet dominance - but that comes with an asterisk.... It was all virtual.

LRHS' center snare was probably focused on college audition music and SHS' tenor played his in an echoey hallway recorded on a Moto G5. If Legacy's percussionist does as well live, Legacy has the new king of MISD percussionists.  

9 hours ago, ViewFromTheField said:

Not to take anything away from Summit, but a majority of bands did not have a competitive season last year due to covid, and I believe Legacy’s numbers have suffered as well. However, Legacy jumped from 8th to 4th at POC, as well as jumped 4th to 2nd at their midlothian competition. I’m also a newbie to this marching band forum (joined a few days ago), but rising FOUR spots from prelims to finals seems like a large leap. I’m 100% sure that this is legacy’s best year since 2009 when they last made state. They placed 9th at area finals in 2019, and are much improved since then. I would say Legacy is here to give Summit some good, fun competition for years to come. All that being said, I will be rooting for Summit on Saturday and good luck to Legacy as well as the rest of the area F bands.

Four places also sounds like a huge jump, at least to me. Can anyone tell us if this is commonplace or does it rarely happen? 

In 2018, I think Summit made 9th in area finals in 6A, and in 2013 they were 9th in Area D. I'm not sure if they've ever advanced to state, but I know they haven't the previous 3 years. (minus one due to Covid) I would love to see BOTH Summit and Legacy advance on Saturday, as well as any other MISD school! If Summit can't advance, I'll cheer just as loudly (well, maybe not QUITE as loudly 😊) for Legacy as I would for Summit. 

I know you said you were new to this particular blog, but you don't sound new to the ins and outs of marching band. I actually am. I was genuinely asking if going from 7th to 4th is a big leap because I don't know. I wasn't trying to crap on Legacy at all, and your reply, structured exactly like mine, makes me think that you thought I was. 🤔

8 minutes ago, Quadmom68 said:

Four places also sounds like a huge jump, at least to me. Can anyone tell us if this is commonplace or does it rarely happen? 

I'm 2018, I think Summit made 9th in area finals in 6A, and in 2013 they were 9th in Area D. I'm not sure if they've ever advanced to state, but I know they haven't the previous 3 years. (minus one due to Covid) I would love to see BOTH Summit and Legacy advance on Saturday, as well as any other MISD school! If Summit can't advance, I'll cheer just as loudly (well, maybe not QUITE as loudly 😊) for Legacy as I would for Summit. 

I know you said you were new to this particular blog, but you don't sound new to the ins and outs of marching band. I actually am. I was genuinely asking if going from 7th to 4th is a big leap because I don't know. I wasn't trying to crap on Legacy at all, and your reply, structured exactly like mine, makes me think that you thought I was. 🤔

If Summit advances to State, then it will be their first appearance at the State Contest. I am very excited about this contest!

9 hours ago, Spitfire78 said:

Just to further obfuscate the Summit vs Legacy debate, when MISD hand picked students for the orchestra for their summer musical, literally half were from Summit. 

Percussion has been dominated at All Region for the past few years by Lake Ridge's former Center Snare and Summit's Tenor 1. Last year Legacy broke through the SHS/LRHS stick and mallet dominance - but that comes with an asterisk.... It was all virtual.

LRHS' center snare was probably focused on college audition music and SHS' tenor played his in an echoey hallway recorded on a Moto G5. If Legacy's percussionist does as well live, Legacy has the new king of MISD percussionists.  

And I *think* Summit's kid was an alternate at state last year! One spot away - so close and yet so far away! 😉

13 hours ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

I hope not. This is really odd, confusing and a bit concerning.

For the record, my username comes from a sport blog I had for a while in college as a sports journalism major (so technically not band related). I have no idea where the rest came from.

Well, now I KNOW that View From the Box is the OG (and a great poster) when it comes to "View From the" screen names, but now there are at least FIVE different "View From the" accounts showing in the predictions. All created super recently. That's truly puzzling. 🤔 Ahem. 

1 hour ago, Quadmom68 said:

Well, now I KNOW that View From the Box is the OG (and a great poster) when it comes to "View From the" screen names, but now there are at least FIVE different "View From the" accounts showing in the predictions. All created super recently. That's truly puzzling. 🤔 Ahem. 

I also noticed that all 5 of the "View From the" accounts that were created recently have predicted Legacy in 4th and Summit in 5th. The other predictions in their lists are similar, but all five of those accounts predicting Legacy and Summit in the same spots? Hmmmm. Seems a little off, if you ask me. And when I tag @ViewFromTheBox, TEN "View From the" accounts drop down. That's ALSO a little off. Put all these factors together and it really seems a LOT off. Especially when one of the accounts mimics the actual structure of your post to post back to you that they really favor Legacy over Summit. 

6 hours ago, Quadmom68 said:

I also noticed that all 5 of the "View From the" accounts that were created recently have predicted Legacy in 4th and Summit in 5th. The other predictions in their lists are similar, but all five of those accounts predicting Legacy and Summit in the same spots? Hmmmm. Seems a little off, if you ask me. And when I tag @ViewFromTheBox, TEN "View From the" accounts drop down. That's ALSO a little off. Put all these factors together and it really seems a LOT off. Especially when one of the accounts mimics the actual structure of your post to post back to you that they really favor Legacy over Summit. 

I think it’s just a coincidence. I don’t know these other accounts, I just really admire ViewFromTheBox’s posts so I took inspiration from his name :) As far as the predictions, that is odd. I wonder what they’re up to…

7 hours ago, lost said:

This is what’s always made uil so nerve-wracking. A really strong, sometimes state-finalist level program might miss state altogether because of a rough run at area finals.

Heck we’ve seen strong finalist level bands miss out on area due to timing penalties at region. Every single performance leading up to UIL state matters, they’re all weighted the same and a band really can’t let their guard down at any moment.

Right?! When we (Lake Ridge Band) went to area it was always so nerve-wracking to be up on that podium… Even more so out on the field.