UIL Area F 5A 2021

So since the other Area F thread appears to be centered on the 6A level, I thought I would go ahead and start the thread for the 5A Area F contest.

As with 2019, it will be held at the Birdville Fine Arts/Athletics Complex on Oct. 23.

Here are the groups (31 in total) that comprise Area F in draw order:

Juan Seguin
Azle
Burleson
Crowley
Newman Smith
Southwest
Carter-Riverside
North Side
Brewer
Polytechnic
Colleyville Heritage
Burleson Centennial
Cleburne
Richland
Everman
Arlington Heights
South Hills
Summit
Midlothian
Eastern Hills
R L Turner
Creekview
Timberview
Legacy
Wyatt
Birdville
Aledo
Joshua
Saginaw
Grapevine
Granbury

To state the obvious, this will change depending on who makes Division I's at Region.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:35 PM, GRIdpOOL said:

This will be a great Area contest.  Burleson centennial will be the heavy favorites but everyone is out for blood.

"heavy favorite"?

With all due respect, they'll be in the finals but there are too many really good bands to say they're the heavy favorites.

Agreed, though, this will be a great contest.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, ViewFromTheBox said:

I kind of feel like the three Mansfield schools are good dark horse candidates for area this year.

Legacy is way improved from this time in 2019. Summit has one of the toughest shows musically its had maybe ever. And Timberview might not make finals, but they sound a whole lot bigger than they actually are.

I agree. Of course, I'm biased for Summit, but I do know others in Mansfield sound pretty good! 

I honestly don't think anyone is really sleeping on Legacy. Like I said earlier, Legacy is much, much improved from 2019. And I think everyone here would likely have them in finals. And then, let's be honest, who knows what happens in finals in terms of who goes to state. All depends on the performance that night.

In terms of the Mansfield POC results, I have a hard time wrapping my head around those scores simply because I thought Martin was better than both Summit and Legacy and definitely was not the 10th place band that day. Also, the contest didn't use the UIL system, which is really what will matter come Oct. 23.

I do wish Summit and Legacy would go head to head again at some point before area, especially since Summit's finals run at Midland was 1000 miles better than at Mansfield the week before. But Summit will be at McKinney and Legacy at Denton. Oh well. Area will be really fun either way.

Also, just curious but what are those school records? Legacy went to state in 2009, so this isn't exactly uncharted territory for them.

schools records in terms of placements at the Midlothian showcase and the POC placements. POC has only been running 9(?) years so it would cover the 2009 era, and I believe a similar situation for midlothian. I agree with the POC, I believe guard scores weren’t taken into account for rankings, and I know at the midlothian contest guard and percussion scores weren’t used, of which legacy got the caption award for percussion and as i’ve been told 3 points (midlothian uses a 1000 point score so .3 points in the 100 scale) away from getting first over Lake Highlands who didn’t have a drumline. 

15 hours ago, rickthestick said:

I think y’all are sleeping on legacy, they’ve now broken 2 school records and beat out 5a state bands in the only 2 competitions they’ve gone to, and are the best in their respective school district, having beat every other band in mansfield. 

Good.

Having another great competitive band in the district just bolsters the need for fine arts funding in the district.

Mansfield and Lake Ridge always bring well crafted big shows, Summit is...well, Summit. If you can beat Summit on musicality, you are really good.

Legacy is a welcome addition.

Lest we become like Arlington. Martin might be the only really competitive program there. I love Arlington High's shows and believe they deserve better rankings than they get, but Martin is the only consistent finalist there.

Frustrating thing with legacy is they have refused to do any BOA since 2015 because of how miserably they performed at the Arlington contest that season. That was the year that sent them into the desert. I think they are more prepared than ever to get back into the BOA circuit. https://marching.musicforall.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/08/2015.10.10_Arlington_TX_Prelims.pdf

On 10/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, GRIdpOOL said:

Frustrating thing with legacy is they have refused to do any BOA since 2015 because of how miserably they performed at the Arlington contest that season. That was the year that sent them into the desert. I think they are more prepared than ever to get back into the BOA circuit. https://marching.musicforall.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/08/2015.10.10_Arlington_TX_Prelims.pdf

Gosh! Look at all the bands that are considered top bands NOW that are near the bottom of that contest! Just goes to show things can turn around quickly. 

Can't put that much stake into one contest.

Martin was 10th at Mansfield P.O.C. and they're taking that show to St Louis Super Regionals. (I'm certain they'll be finalists there too - that was a good show)

Summit was consistently best in class and a top finisher overall in 2019 until they went to Duncanville. Didn't even make the finals there.

The year before, Mansfield had an amazing show and ended up 10th at Area suffering the indignity of finishing behind their district rival who was in their very first year in 6A. But it was a show you remember and it was really good.

I'm sure everyone here sat at announcement for finals at least once and thought, "What the heck just happened?!"

One bad placing shouldn't make or break your program

The McKinney Invitational provided some clarity.  Heritage and Summit were amazing and Richland was right there with them, especially in prelims, but fell a little in finals.  

The Birdville contest will be really interesting because several Area F bands (Joshua, Cleburn, Creekview, Brewer, Midlothian, Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Azle and Burleson HS will all be there.  Smart since that's where Area will be held a week later.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, right now, these would be my top 4 (if only 4 make it out of Area)...if it's 5, I'll add one later. 

Colleyville Heritage
Burleson Centennial
Mansfield Summit
Richland

7 hours ago, Band_dad_of_2 said:

The McKinney Invitational provided some clarity.  Heritage and Summit were amazing and Richland was right there with them, especially in prelims, but fell a little in finals.  

The Birdville contest will be really interesting because several Area F bands (Joshua, Cleburn, Creekview, Brewer, Midlothian, Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Azle and Burleson HS will all be there.  Smart since that's where Area will be held a week later.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, right now, these would be my top 4 (if only 4 make it out of Area)...if it's 5, I'll add one later. 

Colleyville Heritage
Burleson Centennial
Mansfield Summit
Richland

Aledo did beat BC at dfw so I’d probably have them 1st right now 

25 minutes ago, Band_dad_of_2 said:

Aledo 1st in Area F?  I'd tap the brakes on that one.

It's Heritage or Summit...maybe Richland. 

Oh definitely don’t think they will win just at the moment, I’d say their better than BC, but definitely have Summit and CH in front of them, possibly Richland, but I definitely think Aledo will be at state and most likely make finals