UIL 5A Area D 2021

12 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

Did you see the shows?  Would you care to give your professional opinion CCisd Band Parent?  Like lost said, lets congratulate the 3 advancing bands and wish them well at the State Contest.

It’s not the judges it’s the system guys, it just doesn’t seem right, having multiple different people put a score on the same scale just seems like the judges are bound for disagreement 

but ive always been a Mcallum supporter so I’m proud💅🏻

1 minute ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

It’s not the judges it’s the system guys, it just doesn’t seem right, having multiple different people put a score on the same scale just seems like the judges are bound for disagreement 

but ive always been a Mcallum supporter so I’m proud💅🏻

Not sure how the system is flawed.  Care to explain?

Just now, Bandmanio said:

Not sure how the system is flawed.  Care to explain?

I’m not going pretend like I’m an anti-Uil person and I will say they made quite an improvement to the sheets at state I just wish they would do the same to area sheets.

If you think about it, for music, 3 people with 3 very different backgrounds, experience, and opinions on how things should be done are asked to judge something using the same sheets, plus those sheets require soooooo much split attention of a judge. For instance they have to judge brass, woodwinds, percussion, balance, individual contribution and design at the same time. If those 3 judges were maybe split between some of those jobs it would allow them to evaluate each specific task better.

Like I said, it got so much better at state.

Before I say anything and get called out on here, congratulations to McCallum, Hendrickson and Dripping Springs.  Best of luck at state.  All 7 finalists put on great shows, and it was a pleasure to watch - I truly mean that.  Band students have to be some of the hardest workers out there.  This is my first year as a band parent, and I've learned that Bandtober is a real thing.

I'm no expert and certainly don't know what details to look for to grade performances.  I happened to be going through the score sheet looking at the results - I'm assuming the numbers in the smaller boxes are raw scores from the judges?  If so, then based on just the raw performance scores, I see that Johnson scored higher than Dripping Springs.  But, since the raw scores by judges are translated to 1-7 rankings (7 bands), Dripping Springs came out ahead of Johnson.  Is this correct?  I'm not saying it's fair or not fair, and I'm sure there's a reason it's done this way (I guess to normalize the results), but I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.  The top 3 schools are certainly deserving of a trip to the state competition.

Again, congratulations to all of the bands.  It was fun watching all of the performances.

1529153148_ScreenShot2021-10-24at8_09_22AM.thumb.png.62640b4cf360d46ccc230bc43e361049.png

20 hours ago, SavageBevo said:

Before I say anything and get called out on here, congratulations to McCallum, Hendrickson and Dripping Springs.  Best of luck at state.  All 7 finalists put on great shows, and it was a pleasure to watch - I truly mean that.  Band students have to be some of the hardest workers out there.  This is my first year as a band parent, and I've learned that Bandtober is a real thing.

I'm no expert and certainly don't know what details to look for to grade performances.  I happened to be going through the score sheet looking at the results - I'm assuming the numbers in the smaller boxes are raw scores from the judges?  If so, then based on just the raw performance scores, I see that Johnson scored higher than Dripping Springs.  But, since the raw scores by judges are translated to 1-7 rankings (7 bands), Dripping Springs came out ahead of Johnson.  Is this correct?  I'm not saying it's fair or not fair, and I'm sure there's a reason it's done this way (I guess to normalize the results), but I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.  The top 3 schools are certainly deserving of a trip to the state competition.

Again, congratulations to all of the bands.  It was fun watching all of the performances.

1529153148_ScreenShot2021-10-24at8_09_22AM.thumb.png.62640b4cf360d46ccc230bc43e361049.png

As has been explained to me. 

The raw scores are not actual scores therefor cannot be looked at as "translated." They are mostly just a placeholder for the judges to remember the show's execution when it comes time to rank bands. For final  ranking by the judges the "score" is mostly irrelevant. You can't put any weight to the "score" portion.

Pretty interesting to see the correlation between the prelims placings of the bands and their economically disadvantaged student rate. The lowest disadvantaged rate out of the finalists was Dripping Springs at 7%, while the highest out of the finalists was Seguin at 61%. Though wealth is certainly not the primary factor in how well these bands performed (especially with schools like Connally, who got 9th at a 72% disadvantaged rate), it could play a role. Economic rates collected from niche.com.

777149684_ScreenShot2021-10-25at7_35_41PM.thumb.png.65f4d107192dfa1130a9e2e8a77337d1.png

2 hours ago, MarimbaMan said:

I don't think that anyone is doubting the abilities or talents of the kids that compete at these high schools, or the hard work that they put in. Additionally, no one is arguing that wealth is the single determining factor in a band's success. However, wealth certainly plays a role in how these bands are able to operate. By dismissing this disparity, you are neglecting the economic imbalance that impacts the band community. As a current student that competes, I have witnessed this imbalance firsthand.

I wasn’t questioning whether or not there are certain disparities between some of the programs. I was stating that I find it sad when a lot of newcomers to the forum show up during UIL season seemingly just to make disparaging remarks about other programs. And there are a LOT of newcomers in the forum of late. Call me old fashioned or whatever, but I feel like someone’s first few posts in a forum about high school marching band probably shouldn’t be derogatory or inflammatory.