UIL 5A Area D 2021

Don't think I've seen a thread about this yet. Should be a really good one.

Here's all the 5A schools in Area D

Alamo Heights
Anderson
Crockett
Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA)
McCallum
Navarro
Northeast
Travis
Bastrop
Cedar Creek
Comal Canyon
Corsicana
Dripping Springs
Elgin
Floresville
East View
Georgetown
Buda Johnson
Lehman
Lockhart
Manor
Connally
Hendrickson
Pflugerville
Weiss
Seguin
University

If I had to mention every program to look out for this year and should be in contention for Area finals:

Anderson
Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA)
McCallum
Bastrop
Comal Canyon
Dripping Springs
Georgetown
Buda Johnson
Lehman
Connally
Hendrickson
Pflugerville
Weiss
Seguin

That's 14 very solid programs and we've already seen some great showings from a good handful of them this season so far. I'll split them up into a few groups.

Austin ISD: Anderson had a stellar show at BOA Austin, best I think they have sounded in nearly 8 years. Fix some timing issues and this program should have a good shot at state. LASA is in their first year as a standalone campus (formally combined with Austin LBJ) and while they are noticeably smaller, they still have a great sound. McCallum just won CapCity for the second year in a row and you can tell why if you go to the CapCity instagram and watch their full run (you can see all of finals there in surprisingly good quality). 

Pflugerville ISD: Connally is coming off a strong 3rd place finish at CapCity, they seem to have shrunken since 2019 but still have a really round and controlled sound. We saw Hendrickson miss finals by a fairly narrow margin at BOA Austin with a much improved performance from 2019; we'll be them seeing again this weekend at Midland where they will be in the running for the gold. Pflugerville has always been competitive at UIL regardless of what classification they are and it's safe to assume they'll remain that way this year after a solid performance at BOA Austin. Weiss is off to a fantastic start to this marching season, with a 2nd place finish at BOA McAllen and a finalist appearance at BOA Austin; they are one of the few bands I'd consider to be a lock for state so far.

Other Newcomers: Whether they're a new school or have moved down because of a new school in their district pulling enrollment, we have a couple new names that could really make a splash. Starting off this group is Canyon, who has had a significant portion of their enrollment taken by the new Comal ISD school Davenport (currently 4A); they nearly made Area finals in 2018 in 6A, so needless to say they should do very well in 5A. Next is Buda Johnson, a new school in Hays CISD in their 3rd year and their first with seniors; in 2019 they had a fantastic showing at BOA Austin with just freshmen and sophomores, and so far this year they won the Charger Marching Classic and I've only heard good things about them. Lehman is also from Hays CISD and was a significant enrollment pull for Johnson, they have been a very solid program at times and with a good year they could really make an impact at this contest. 

Old Faces: Dripping Springs has been a consistent state qualifier for many years, getting as high as 2nd at state in 2017; even if they aren't at the same level as they were, they are still a strong contender here. Georgetown was another program that made state in this Area in 2017 with a very entertaining show and after a 6th place finish at BOA McAllen this year, you can safely say that they will be a strong contender again.

Dark Horses: I have two programs that I have my eyes on as dark horses, the first being Bastrop who made Area finals for the first time in 2017 and has grown as a program significantly since then; if you saw their performance at BOA Austin, you know the amount of potential these kids have. The other dark horse is Seguin, who I admittedly don't know a lot about but they did make Area finals in 2019; even with more competition, Seguin will more than likely be able to make a strong statement this year.

Other Shout-outs: There are a couple programs that I wanna mention even though I don't quite consider them contenders in this competitive Area. First is Crockett, who has been recently been making a comeback of sorts; you can find their 2019 show on YouTube and I personally was very impressed with their sound, hopefully they have maintained that progress through COVID-19. The second group I want to shoutout is Lockhart, a band that was until fairly recently making 2s at UIL region; this program has been improving a lot and that can be seen most evidently through their fantastic guard, who just finished 2nd in the caption at CapCity.

This contest just got even more interesting.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Johnson is pretty locked in after their phenomenal showing at BOA Midland. Weiss is also a pretty safe bet with their appearance at BOA Austin finals and silver at McAllen. Hendrickson has placed close behind both Johnson and Weiss this season so they have a good shot for state. Anderson is a possibility after their amazing performance at the Vista Ridge contest nearly beating Brandeis (had it not been for 1 judge). LASA is strong musically and definitely will put up a fight and Seguin just did well at the Midway Marching Preview which is a UIL style contest. And now this weekend we're about to have Dripping Springs, McCallum, Georgetown compete at the Texas Marching Classic alongside Hendrickson and Weiss which will be a good gauge on how close this contest might (will) be.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's looking pretty scary with a few programs either being non-varsity, DNA'ing, or getting a 2. There's now only a maximum of 21 spots left. If 2 drop, that's 3 state spots in an area with around 7 or 8 programs all being completely capable of state. 

Going off of texasmusicforums these are all the bands that received a 1 rating in AAAAA regions 8, 12, 18, and 26. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I couldn't find the official list for area yet.

Seguin
Lockhart
Floresville
Comal Canyon
Weiss
Pflugerville
Hendrickson
Georgetown
Elgin
East View
Connally
McCallum
Lehman
LASA
Johnson
Dripping Springs
Cedar Creek
Bastrop
Anderson

19 schools, just shy of four spots for state making it three spots now.

18 minutes ago, jjblob said:

Going off of texasmusicforums these are all the bands that received a 1 rating in AAAAA regions 8, 12, 18, and 26. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I couldn't find the official list for area yet.

Seguin
Lockhart
Floresville
Comal Canyon
Weiss
Pflugerville
Hendrickson
Georgetown
Elgin
East View
Connally
McCallum
Lehman
LASA
Johnson
Dripping Springs
Cedar Creek
Bastrop
Anderson

19 schools, just shy of four spots for state making it three spots now.

I've heard from multiple directors that there are actually 21 participants, I'm trying to get more info but we'll know for sure when the schedule is released.

It’s going to be rough if they only advance 3 from this area.

My guesses would be Hendrickson, Weiss and either Georgetown or Dripping Springs.

I got to see Anderson at Vista Ridge finals and they had probably one of their strongest performances this season to date, so I do see them as an outside shot if they keep consistent with that performance level and have cleaned up the visual a bit.

18 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Dont forget about Johnson.  They could certainly nab a spot.

I did not realize they were in this area I totally missed them on the list.

I definitely have Johnson above Dripping Springs and slightly above Hendrickson and Weiss ? At least for now.

So I've heard some conflicting things on whether 5A D will take 3 or 4 bands. I had heard from 2 directors that there are going to be 21 bands and not 19. Does anyone know more about this? Some of us think it might have to do with the automatic advancement rule with region 8 since it's split between Area D and Area I.

If there are 3 state spots I have Johnson, Hendrickson, and Weiss locked in probably in that order. I'm hoping there are 4 spots because I would love to see Anderson or Georgetown make it to state. My next 2 are Dripping Springs and McCallum after those 2

Here's the order of performances and times - I got this from a friend with a student at another school.

1. Johnson (11:00)

2. Weiss (11:15)

3. LASA (11:30)

4. Lockhart (11:45)

5. Hendrickson (12:00)

6. McCallum (12:15)

7. Pflugerville (12:30)

<BREAK>

8. Anderson (1:30)

9. Floresville (1:45)

10. Georgetown (2:00)

11. Bastrop (2:15)

12. East View (2:30)

13. Seguin (2:45)

<BREAK>

14. Lehman (3:15)

15. Elgin (3:30)

16. Canyon (NB) (3:45)

17. Cedar Creek (4:00)

18. Connally (4:15)

19. Dripping Springs (4:30)

Finals start at 7pm, with 7 bands.

2 hours ago, Dog885 said:

So I've heard some conflicting things on whether 5A D will take 3 or 4 bands. I had heard from 2 directors that there are going to be 21 bands and not 19. Does anyone know more about this? Some of us think it might have to do with the automatic advancement rule with region 8 since it's split between Area D and Area I.

If there are 3 state spots I have Johnson, Hendrickson, and Weiss locked in probably in that order. I'm hoping there are 4 spots because I would love to see Anderson or Georgetown make it to state. My next 2 are Dripping Springs and McCallum after those 2

What  is the "automatic advancement rule" that you mentioned?  We are in Region 8.  Three of the 5A bands (A & M Consolidated, College Station, and Rudder) were just assigned to Area I instead of Area D to try to even out some things several years back.  I have never heard of automatic advancement and I know that our bands work super hard for their ratings.  

13 minutes ago, bandandguardmom said:

What  is the "automatic advancement rule" that you mentioned?  We are in Region 8.  Three of the 5A bands (A & M Consolidated, College Station, and Rudder) were just assigned to Area I instead of Area D to try to even out some things several years back.  I have never heard of automatic advancement and I know that our bands work super hard for their ratings.  

There's a rule in UIL that every region must send at least 2 bands from every classification (if applicable) regardless of the rating they get at Region. So hypothetically you have a region with 3 2A bands and they get these ratings:

2A Band A - 1 1 1

2A Band B - 2 1 2

2A Band C - 2 2 2

in this scenario both Bands A and B would advance to area as Band B had a higher rating ranking from one judge resulting in a tie-breaker. If bands perfectly tie (so Band B getting a 2 2 2 as well), then the 3 judges would talk together and choose which band to advance. We brought it up with Region 8 because we weren't sure how it works in that specific region because it's such a unique case, no other region splits bands of the same classification between 2 different areas. 

On 10/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, abtwitch said:

There's a rule in UIL that every region must send at least 2 bands from every classification (if applicable) regardless of the rating they get at Region. So hypothetically you have a region with 3 2A bands and they get these ratings:

2A Band A - 1 1 1

2A Band B - 2 1 2

2A Band C - 2 2 2

in this scenario both Bands A and B would advance to area as Band B had a higher rating ranking from one judge resulting in a tie-breaker. If bands perfectly tie (so Band B getting a 2 2 2 as well), then the 3 judges would talk together and choose which band to advance. We brought it up with Region 8 because we weren't sure how it works in that specific region because it's such a unique case, no other region splits bands of the same classification between 2 different areas. 

I don't think that it applies per Area.  We just had the Region competition last weekend.  The 3 bands that go to Area I all passed through to Area, but the 2 bands that go to Area D did not pass through.  That would lead me to believe that it applies just at the Region level.  

45 minutes ago, bandandguardmom said:

I don't think that it applies per Area.  We just had the Region competition last weekend.  The 3 bands that go to Area I all passed through to Area, but the 2 bands that go to Area D did not pass through.  That would lead me to believe that it applies just at the Region level.  

I just learned that they actually got rid of this rule in 2020, but in 2019 and before it was in fact in place. It did not however apply to Region 8's 5A split, that was just speculation on my part over what the supposed 20th and 21st bands were.