Wakeland

Forney

Marcus

Timber Creek

Prosper

Keller Central

The Colony

Grapevine

After their staff changes in 2019, I wasn’t sure how Timber Creek was gonna fare after 2020, but that was a great performance!! They didn’t have a whole lot of their show on the field, but it was super solid from everyone involved. The saxophone feature was awesome, the guard was really clean, and the theming was easy to follow.

46 minutes ago, xylogodess said:

Are the prelims scores out?

Only the caption results. The full recap will probably be released after the end of finals. 

I really enjoyed Prosper's show. They have a very visually pleasing production with the capes and they play with really nice full sounds. I can see this doing very well next week at BOA.

Marcus gave an undeniable performance. They are already executing their show at such a high level that I’m a bit worried that they could peak early since they are attending nats. I don’t know if this show is going to have that immediate emotional audience connection from a design standpoint that their ‘17 and ‘19 productions had, but it’s still a great show. 

Carroll impressed me! They really have gotten so much better in the past few years. After going after Marcus and Prosper, it’s apparent that they have cleaning to do musically, but the show has great scale and potential to go far this season. Beautiful flute soloist!!

I seemed like Keller’s electronics weren’t working, at least definitely not at the beginning. Anyway, it was still a great performance! So many great music moments and the guard was really solid. Like Timber Creek, they only had around 5 minutes, so I’m excited to see more!

LD Bell’s show is very in-line with what they’ve offered these past few years. The guard is much larger than I thought they would be, and they’re doing a great job. Just comparing them to some of the finalist bands, there are some full band moments that need some cleaning and balancing, but they have a good show to work with.

(Posted in the right thread now lol)

Finals Results:

1st - 85.00 - Marcus

2nd - 82.20 - Wakeland

3rd - 80.425 - Prosper

4th - 80.325 - Forney

5th - 80.10 - Keller

6th - 80.05 - Southlake Carroll

7th - 78.275 - Timber Creek

8th - 77.125 - Aledo

9th - 74.85 - Keller Central

10th - 74.60 - Byron Nelson

11th - 73.875 - Grapevine

12th - 72.40 - The Colony

Outstanding Music - Marcus

Outstanding Visual - Marcus

Outstanding General Effect - Marcus 

Outstanding Percussion - Marcus

Outstanding Color Guard - Marcus

Marcus with the clear victory here, and deservedly so. They're executing their show at an extremely high level already. I will say that Keller in 5th is a real shocker and a bit of a question mark for me. They were a little dirty tonight but I still thought they were good enough for a medal, though the scores from 6th to 3rd were incredibly close.

Keller in 5th and slipping behind (at least) Prosper after prelims is definitely a bit of a shock, but they had less on the field than maybe any of the other finalists and had electronic issues. It’ll be interesting to see the prelims scores.

Congrats to Marcus on a full sweep, very very deserved!

Good morning, here are my thoughts on the contest

1. Marcus, and when i thought it couldn’t get any better…they did that. They broke an 85 with just an opener and a ballad that wasn’t even perfected yet. I had expected marcus to placed around 3rd at dfw but after that showing last night I don’t know what to think. Their ballad really reminds me of crowns 2019 ballad and blue devils 2014 ballad combined into one. Their balance mixed with their big volume was just so heavenly to listen to, if i had shut my eyes i would’ve thought i was listening to crown. Their showing last night really has changed my thoughts about where they’ll land in the later parts of the year, i’m so excited for this group. 

2. Wakeland, I LOVED THIS SHOW. I heard it was gonna be “dark waters” so I thought oh great another water show playing wine dark sea. They killed it. I was on my feet screaming at the end of their show. Their closer is one of the most energetic high school closers i’ve heard and that part where the drill goes crazy? Oh my god. 5A state is going to be ruthless this year with our showings from cedar park and rouse last week and now forney and wakeland. Absolutely amazing program, loved every moment. Definitely excited to see where they place at dfw.

3. Prosper, like keller I’m not the biggest fan of this show. They play their horns amazingly and have a great ensemble sound but the costumes are a bit too vibrant for me. The extended hip drops really remind me of the blue devils 2019 uniforms which i’m a massive fan of. I can’t wait to see the rest of it because they teased their closer drum break a bit and it went so hard. Solid program as always.

4. Forney, holy heck was not expecting this whatsoever. They are amazing plain and simple. Whoever had told me on this thread that forney was the strongest they’ve ever been you were absolutely right. I also couldn’t believe the kid in the wheelchair, his arms have to be ripped after booking it across the field that much. Incredible show from them and I definitely believe this program is on the rise.

5. Keller, not a fan of this show. Their sound is really loud but it also sounds really brash and aggressive. A lot of the technical stuff they’re doing feels a little overwhelming at times but it’s still pretty impressive. Absolutely no slander to them, they are a great ensemble (that just needs to get their tech to work lol) but I have had a other keller shows I like more. 

6. Southlake carroll, Hm what can I say It’s a southlake show. Their sound is so warm when they play soft and then when they play with a big sound it’s BIG. I love the french horn/euphonium feature in their closer (no personal bias towards horns of course:D) Great show, can’t wait for their show at dfw.

7. Timber creek, honestly thought this group should’ve placed a little lower. A lot of their music really was not that clean and they only had one movement on the field. However for them just doing their opener and still placing this high is pretty impressive. Really like the vibe from their music, great show so far.

8. Aledo, solid program. It’s not my favorite concept but the color scheme and design of it is done really well. That choreo at the beginning of their closer is so entertaining to watch i really enjoyed that.

9. Keller central, I love this theme so much. But they have some serious work to be done. Their restart in prelims i’m sure cost them some points but they were better musically in finals. 

10. Byron nelson, great ensemble. great props. great program. It’s absolutely not the hardest show but they execute it really well, great showing from them.

11. Grapevine, was not expecting them to make it but I’m glad they did. I’m sure the kids were so proud of their results, and i’m happy for them. I love their color scheme.

12. The colony, good show from the them! Really have stepped up from the past shows done by them. Well done.

Trinity exhibition, sounds like a typical trinity show, i couldn’t quite however understand how their show placed over martin at mansfield unless they just had a bad run yesterday. great uniforms and amazing soloists however, really like their show concept. from former high school rival, despite some technical details, great job guys! happy for y’all and can’t wait to see where y’all go.

Ld bell exhibition, well it was certainly something. I love how in tune they sounded whenever they did play together with their big ensemble moments. Have certainly heard better run throughs from them. Their ballad is pretty new from what I know so it’s kinda rough but should be much better by next week for dfw. Overall great show and the costumes looked better than I thought they would. 

Congratulations to all bands that performed in both prelims and finals!! As a first marching contest to go watch as a hs alumni it was a great contest indeed. Good luck on your journeys throughout the rest of the season, some will focus on uil some will focus on boa and some may not be doing anymore. Proud of all the shows from yesterday and it’s so good to see that BAND IS BACK!!!!!!!!!