Final Thoughts On DCI 2021

Dog885

DCI Celebrations:
Phantom Regiment was amazing at finals. I was on my feet (at home)! DCI feels better when Phantom is on point. 
Cavaliers took a HUGE step forward with their show. This is my favorite Cavaliers show in many years. 
I'm a big Bluecoats fan. This show....meh...I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles. This show felt forced. 

Austin:

The Mandarins are going on quite an artistic journey the last 3 seasons. Their show was stunning in person but it didn't translate on screen. That's okay, judging doesn't happen on screen. 
The Troopers. They put on an amazing show. It's great to see America's band playing and marching strongly.

The Crossmen. Clean sound. Good visuals. Crisp performance. 

Genesis.... MASSIVE step forward this year. The sound is unique and they are in a great place for recruiting talent on field and coaching talent.  

6 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

The Mandarins are going on quite an artistic journey the last 3 seasons. Their show was stunning in person but it didn't translate on screen. That's okay, judging doesn't happen on screen. 

Yeah, my mom said the exact same thing. She didn't like Mandarins on Flo but loved them live. Quite interesting that there's that much of a difference on screen

22 hours ago, Dog885 said:

Yeah, my mom said the exact same thing. She didn't like Mandarins on Flo but loved them live. Quite interesting that there's that much of a difference on screen

In person you get a feel for height and depth of the Frisbee. On screen it doesn't translate. I can't believe that Frisbees are the star of a top flight show but they really were. 

1 hour ago, MikeKyu said:

In person you get a feel for height and depth of the Frisbee. On screen it doesn't translate. I can't believe that Frisbees are the star of a top flight show but they really were. 

I've passed by the frisbee boxes and few times and I was very tempted to grab one

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the season felt a bit "relaxed" without the judging.  It opened up the corps to experiment in ways they normally wouldn't  Phantom redoing Harmonic Journey was a treat.  Boston and all their screens were a lot.  Not a fan of Blue Coats this year, loved  it to years ago, this year seemed more like a "sequel" and thought the first one was better.  Mandarin show really grew on me live.  Their drum major was having a blast and was the star of the show for me.  My son marched tenors with Blue Knights and their rich sound grew on me.  They were going more for a happy enjoyment mood this year.    Learned a lot this year trying to translate from marching bands to DCI.  I did get to see a tenor dive for cover during the Mandarins show as a frisbee came right at him.