2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

Here is what the scores for finals would have looked like if you did the math using the raw content and achievement score totals.

1.Hebron-98.4

2.Vandegrift-97.1

3.Marcus-96.5

4.Flower Mound-96.0

5.Reagan-95.3

6.Coppell-94.7

7.CTJ-94.4

8.Cedar Ridge-93.3

9.Keller-93.1

10.Westlake-93.0

11.Vista Ridge-92.5

12.Carroll-91.7

Interesting to see that both Reagan and CTJ would've each moved up one spot, I expected it to stay exactly the same.

7 hours ago, Origin said:

I was watching the the 6A prelims awards, and it looks like the Seven Lakes drum majors thought their name was called when Southlake Carroll was called as the last finalist 😢😢😢😢😢😢 They were second out at both competitions this week. Hopefully their time comes next year!

that's so hard! Those poor kids.  I had to warn the Westwood parents back in the day to make sure they heard WESTWOOD and not yell when they heard WESTLAKE. It happens too often. 

On 11/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, mmbandfan said:

Because band directors want uniforms that are adaptable to different show themes and not locked into one color scheme. Of course more bands are ditching their spirit uniforms completely for competitions and just doing a "disposable" custom top each year. Then there's Hebron, who has their school color game uniforms and a totally different competition uniform which is so unique it became their show theme this year. 

This. Vandegrift does black shoes for several reasons. One, our school colors are black and silver. Two, they look good with our black bibs/pants. Our kids wear those pants every year and with every uniform. They wear them with their regular "non-show" shirts, and then each year, they get a new shirt specific to that year's show. It cuts down somewhat on costs by using the same bibs / shoes. Three, it takes a monumental effort to tailor uniforms for 400 kids, even just show shirts. Having to tailor 400 new bibs every year would be an even bigger task. Our uniforms team starts working in summer to get all incoming freshmen fitted for regular uniforms, shoes ordered, etc. Then they have all the kids that grew 6 inches in the last year. Then they have to tailor all 400 show shirts for each kid. Honestly, I don't know how they do it. They are amazing. I couldn't imagine adding more work to that. 

5 hours ago, BandFan95 said:

that's so hard! Those poor kids.  I had to warn the Westwood parents back in the day to make sure they heard WESTWOOD and not yell when they heard WESTLAKE. It happens too often. 

This reminds me of my Senior year at Area in 2002.

Area D switched from being Austin and SA to being Austin and Houston.

They called out the advancing bands in Alphabetical order...

It was freezing cold, raining, and everyone was huddled under ponchos trying to hear who was called.

They called out, "The Woodlands," nobody realized that "The" was actually a part of their name since we hadn't ever competed against them and the school was only 6 years old.

So, Westlake was still open to being called.

Myself and a few others that went on the BOA Forums back then were aware and shouted out to let everybody know.

We ended up in 4th behind Spring, The Woodlands, and Bowie.

I'm sure that was tough for Westfield (5th place) missing out for the first time in forever and hearing "West..." as well.

I know Leander (6th place) had many people crying as we walked past that night.

Tough contest. 

Reminds me of a similar experience I had doing All-State.  At the area competition one year, they were calling out who made State and went up the list from the last ones who made it in up to first chair.  They call out a kid from my school who I had beat at every contest leading up to this for third chair, so I was really hopeful.  We get to first chair and they call out my first name... And then a different last name.  That was a tough blow because I went from thinking I was first chair and had made it to immediately realizing I didn't make it.

musically speaking, i can’t think of any better ones. avon’s 3-peat years had some technical features that were similarly crazy clean and hard, but they definitely didn’t have the richness of ensemble sound that hebron pulled off this year.

it’ll be a while before anyone else pulls off that type of feat again, for sure

4 hours ago, shaggy said:

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I think Hebron 2021 might take the crown for best high school show. At the very least its the best music I have ever heard a high school pull off. Somehow Hebron keeps one upping themselves with this absurd music. I cannot wait to see what they do next year.

Musically it is without a doubt the best show I have ever seen. The difficulty of the show is so high yet Hebron executed every part so incredibly well. I'll hold off saying it's the best show I've ever seen just cause there have been so many fantastic shows over the past decades but it is definitely up there for me at one of the best Texas shows of all time.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:53 AM, FloMoBandMom said:

By outro, do you mean the thing the announcer reads as they are rolling everything off the field after the performance? If so, thanks for noticing and listening--I wrote that! (Rhyming something with Midwest Clinic, not so easy!)

You’re my favorite!!! If you’re in Indy I would love to offer an adult beverage as thanks for the highlight of the season after prelims or finals!

On 11/11/2021 at 2:53 AM, FloMoBandMom said:

By outro, do you mean the thing the announcer reads as they are rolling everything off the field after the performance? If so, thanks for noticing and listening--I wrote that! (Rhyming something with Midwest Clinic, not so easy!)

We do need to have the script to the introduction and the closing accolades posted here.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:45 AM, Mash said:

Congrats to all the bands those that made the finals and those that didn't.  This was a difficult year for all the bands to get back into the routine of preparing and performing these amazing routines.  Hebron and Vandy seem to be peaking at the right time, and Vista seems to have peaked a couple weeks ago.  

As always, one one thing about band concerns me is the amount of financial dependence they cost which means bigger more affluent areas can support these huge shows outpacing the others.

Perhaps they should introduce a spending cap. I know that's far fetched but I have seen some outstanding bands struggle to move up because other bands are able to pump so much more money into props etc.  Wish some would scale back and just focus on music and marching to be honest.