2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

36 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

So yes, top 12 is a very high honor! even 20 would be great. 

Top 20 is amazing.

But if you're in the state marching band competition,  your band has probably been picking up trophies, plaques, and medals all season long so the kids probably already knew they were pretty good ;)

14 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Sad to see round rock out of state finals again. And with a confusingly low percussion score too (Not blaming the percussion judge I just know how much those kids take pride in having amazing percussion so it sucks to see them not do good in that category)

I hope there's still a way for them to make finals at nats. I would imagine if they don't make finals they won't go back in 2023. It's just too expensive and I've heard stories of students/families that struggled to come up with the money to make the trip. 

I know there show could use some cleaning, but I thought they had a pretty good run yesterday and I thought they sounded really good.  I wonder how much impact having an early time in the first block plays into a bands score.   Marcus was in the same block and made finals so maybe not so much, or maybe following Marcus impacted them? Or maybe they placed exactly where they should have?  

44 minutes ago, stix said:

I know there show could use some cleaning, but I thought they had a pretty good run yesterday and I thought they sounded really good.  I wonder how much impact having an early time in the first block plays into a bands score.   Marcus was in the same block and made finals so maybe not so much, or maybe following Marcus impacted them? Or maybe they placed exactly where they should have?  

Regarding comments on Round Rock:

When they played really had no effect on their placement. Dismal visuals was the issue this year, for sure. Something that will have to be fixed next year. The placements for this competition and the last one for them were justified. It's heartbreaking watching those kids work so hard without the tools needed to excel. Not at all the fault of the students. If your formula is not working, directors, change the darn formula! Your kids want to win. Help them.

16 hours ago, packwick said:

i don't think this is really accurate, is it? people "took for granted" what Hebron brought to the table? it actually seems like the case for Hebron was building as we got closer to San Antonio. with no direct match-ups, either, which is impressive. see page 6 of the BOA San Antonio thread. several highly positive remarks, and straight up speculation they could win. i think the real problem is that people fixate on the critiques to the point where they ignore the favorable stuff.

Treating the performance aspects of their program as if they’re so much a given that we have to highlight what some may view is lacking, yes. It is always good for people to appreciate what they see ultimately though, when it comes to any group ‘cause the effort is clearly evident through the performance these students give👏👏👏