2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

25 minutes ago, packwick said:

i don't think this is really accurate, is it? people "took for granted" what Hebron brought to the table? it actually seems like the case for Hebron was building as we got closer to San Antonio. with no direct match-ups, either, which is impressive. see page 6 of the BOA San Antonio thread. several highly positive remarks, and straight up speculation they could win. i think the real problem is that people fixate on the critiques to the point where they ignore the favorable stuff.

I do think there may have been a bit of an opinion toward Hebron that was something like, "Of course they're great musically! But..." yada yada yada -- an opinion not shared by everyone, I'm sure. To my mind, every group has strengths and weaknesses. But yeah, I would agree that the post you quoted seems a bit of an exaggeration.

Oh, and to your final point: A-f***ing-men! Preach! 😂

15 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Recaps were on hornrank last night for those of you who want them.

There are a lot of bands out there that really need to rethink their strategies regarding the shows they field. Not a knock to the kids because those decisions are out of their hands, but sometimes less is more. Clean shows with beautiful music seem to be a theme here. Also, I'm really sick and tired of bands using black shoes. I get why they do, but my goodness, look at Hebron and Westlake. They look awesome out there. Perhaps programs should spend some time on footwork and actually marching in straight lines so that kids can learn the fundamentals, then elaborate on the drill. I think Flower Mound marches with white shoes. They look sharp..period. The other theme that I can't get my head around is the freaking black uniforms. The fact that Round Rock doesn't have any maroon in their unis, and that the Harlingen drum majors have all black unis is so bizarre. Growing up, Harlingen was the RED CARDINAL BAND. They fielded RED unis! Everyone knew who they were with very little black. I get why programs do this, but it honestly is making one band look like the other. 

Yes I'm old school.

Yes I am not a band director. 

BUT, the scores for both BOA and State say a lot. I hope that these directors figure it out.

I noticed that Edinburg North’s uniform was mostly black. Their colors are navy blue and gold. I do enjoy to see some of the brighter colors out there

Congrats to all the bands those that made the finals and those that didn't.  This was a difficult year for all the bands to get back into the routine of preparing and performing these amazing routines.  Hebron and Vandy seem to be peaking at the right time, and Vista seems to have peaked a couple weeks ago.  

As always, one one thing about band concerns me is the amount of financial dependence they cost which means bigger more affluent areas can support these huge shows outpacing the others.

I just wanted to say a couple things. One, congratulations to Coppell and Southlake Carroll. I saw both of these bands and shows for the 1st time at boa dfw, and fell in love with both of them. I’ve been rooting for these 2 all season, and I’m so happy for them. Also was pulling for TC but y’all still did amazing for your 1st state showing. also congratulations to everyone else who performed yesterday. These bands just keep getting better and better, and good luck to all todays finalist!

31 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Also, I'm really sick and tired of bands using black shoes. I get why they do, but my goodness, look at Hebron and Westlake. They look awesome out there. Perhaps programs should spend some time on footwork and actually marching in straight lines so that kids can learn the fundamentals, then elaborate on the drill. I think Flower Mound marches with white shoes. They look sharp..period. The other theme that I can't get my head around is the freaking black uniforms. The fact that Round Rock doesn't have any maroon in their unis, and that the Harlingen drum majors have all black unis is so bizarre. Growing up, Harlingen was the RED CARDINAL BAND. They fielded RED unis!

Funnily enough, Westlake’s school colors could not be more different from their current gray and powder blue uniforms. Their school colors are red and royal blue!  I don’t really understand the current uniform trends either but I also don’t know that it matters that much. 

23 minutes ago, RodanSt said:

Is there any possible way to get tickets? My friend wants to tag along but the deadline for tickets was 8 am because of 2a prelims?? It seems kind of weird that he wouldn’t be able to buy tickets for 6A because of this, are there any other options?

My Husband was able to buy tickets at the box office yesterday afternoon right before our daughters performance. He also had tried to buy online, but Ticketmaster was not selling because the event was already in progress. It was much cheaper at the box office without all the fees.

23 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Funnily enough, Westlake’s school colors could not be more different from their current gray and powder blue uniforms. Their school colors are red and royal blue!  I don’t really understand the current uniform trends either but I also don’t know that it matters that much. 

I KNOW! That seems so weird. 🤣

27 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Because band directors want uniforms that are adaptable to different show themes and not locked into one color scheme. Of course more bands are ditching their spirit uniforms completely for competitions and just doing a "disposable" custom top each year. Then there's Hebron, who has their school color game uniforms and a totally different competition uniform which is so unique it became their show theme this year. 

I have to say I really like the new judging system.  I think it’s great that percussion, woodwinds, and brass get their own set of scores.  Gives bands a better indication of what they can improve upon musically and gives programs that achieve excellence in those areas a tangible reward.  Amazing performances yesterday by all the bands.  Looking forward to an exciting finals! 

8 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Something I find a little funny is that Cedar Ridge's new uniform is adaptable and the colors can be interchanged, but they still stuck with the purple show design in 2019 and this year. Guess they just like the color! 

That purple does look good though!  Can’t really blame them.