2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

4 hours ago, BandFan14 said:

They were both great! Hard to compare when they have such differing approaches. Hebron has very difficult music and drill, doing both at the same time, and has a lot of incredible solos. Vandy is unmatched visuals and dance with beautifully integrated and performed music, with very few solos. Not sure how the judges even approach such diversity in show style.

Honestly, I think Hebron and Vandy are pretty evenly matched talent wise. They are both just amazing. I will even throw CTJ in there too. They're all so good. I think results really just reflect judges' preferences. Probably shouldn't, but let's be real - some judges just prefer certain styles. And each of these schools have a definite, distinct style. I think CTJ's unconventional style has cost them, which is a shame because they are REALLY good. But some old-school, traditional judges probably score lower because of it. I would not at all be upset to see CTJ win tomorrow or take the title in Indy.

3 hours ago, HeartOfTexas said:

So what are your predictions so far?Ā 

Still this? Not in this order

1. Vandegrift
  2. RonaldĀ Reagan
  3. SURPRISE!!Ā 
  4. FloMo
  5. CT Johnson
  6. Hebron
  7. Marcus
  8. Vista Ridge
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Keller
  11. Westlake
  12. Coppell

Wowza 12 out of 12 as long as you know that SURPRISE really meant Southlake (they both begin with "S")Ā 

6 minutes ago, VandyBandyFandy said:

Honestly, I think Hebron and Vandy are pretty evenly matched talent wise. They are both just amazing. I will even throw CTJ in there too. They're all so good. I think results really just reflect judges' preferences. Probably shouldn't, but let's be real - some judges just prefer certain styles. And each of these schools have a definite, distinct style. I think CTJ's unconventional style has cost them, which is a shame because they are REALLY good. But some old-school, traditional judges probably score lower because of it. I would not at all be upset to see CTJ win tomorrow or take the title in Indy.

Claudia Taylor Johnson has always been a unique program in the state of Texas with their approach to show design. They very much like designing nontraditionalĀ shows that entertain the audience with very difficult drill, free flowing choreography, and relatively modern music selections. They're one of the top programs in the state but their designs are often pretty divisive amongst people that think they try to do too much and people (like me) that appreciate the risks they take. They're definitely a more BOA oriented band but they've had a lotĀ of success in UIL recently so I expect them to place well tomorrow (especially with their show this year which I absolutely adore).

30 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

And a HUGE congratulations to Southlake Carroll on making finals!!! This is their first time at state in over 20 years, and making finals in such a stacked contest is INCREDIBLE!

The last several years of resurgence from them is now capped off with a UIL finals appearance, fantastic year for them, and another DFW force to contend with is always welcomešŸ”„šŸ”„

5 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Claudia Taylor Johnson has always been a unique program in the state of Texas with their approach to show design. They very much like designing nontraditionalĀ shows that entertain the audience with very difficult drill, free flowing choreography, and relatively modern music selections. They're one of the top programs in the state but their designs are often pretty divisive amongst people that think they try to do too much and people (like me) that appreciate the risks they take. They're definitely a more BOA oriented band but they've had a lotĀ of success in UIL recently so I expect them to place well tomorrow (especially with their show this year which I absolutely adore).

I never deny the quality of CTJs shows but to me I can't focus on anything.Ā  It is difficult for me to understand the message they are trying to get across because I hone in on the wrong things and get distracted.