2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

55 minutes ago, lost said:

I’m more worried for the bands that aren’t going to the San Antonio Super that also have an early draw time. They most certainly have to stay the night in San Antonio or risk a lot of things by trying to leave home immensely early.

Exactly. I was more using Marcus and Waxahachie as an example for the general predicament of drawing early at a contest, since drawing time slots doesn't take into consideration the bands' physical distance from the Dome

19 hours ago, justabandkid94 said:

For Waxahachie and Marcus - if they aren't getting to San Antonio the night before, thats a hellish logistical nightmare for the band. If the band truck is arriving at Alamodome at 6:30AM, subtract 5 (maybe more) hours from that for a reliable departure time from the Dallas area. Those kids will be exhausted before the contest even starts and thus won't be as well rested as some of their counterparts competing for finals.

More importantly, all 3 bands are strong contenders for finals (or even locks in Marcus' case). The bands need to perform strongly enough to remain in the forefront of the judges' minds for the rest of Prelims. A judge may be more conservative in scoring a band at the  very beginning of the day vs. later on - thus the bands who went earlier may get lower of a score than they would have if they had competed in a block closer to other potential finalist bands for a better judging comparison. 

At least they aren’t like Frenship that is traveling from Lubbock 🙄

On 10/31/2021 at 4:43 PM, shaggy said:

Some random predictions:

Hebron will get 2nd

13th place will be a round rock isd band

Leander ISD Will take the other two medals

CTJ and Reagan will inexplicably place lower than everyone expects

Some judge is going to give one band like close to dead last when every other judge has them in or just out of finals 

2 of those are Round Rock in 2018. Got 13th overall. Around 10ish in most categories, but one marching judge gave them 34th. Nonetheless, it's going to be a great competition and although nearly all the finalists will be BOA SA Finalists, the order may be different at SMBC

On 10/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, BandFan59 said:

The first few performance times (generally anything within the first block) aren't preferred because judges tend to underscore the bands in those times in order to save room for later in the day. If a judge gives the first band a 95 out of 100, and then later in the day he thinks other bands performed better, he's only given himself a five point margin to score those bands, so they usually start pretty conservative with the scoring to give themselves leeway for later bands. In 2018, the Woodlands and Coppell, two excellent and historic programs with a lot of success, were the first two bands to perform at state. The Woodlands ended up placing 12th in prelims, the last band to make finals, while Coppell placed 15th. So bands generally want to avoid drawing those first block spots for that reason and the fact that it can be hard on the students to get up at 4 or 5 AM and get ready for a major performance.

This is the best I've heard this explained. This is why, as Summit parents, we were disappointed to get an early draw at both BOA Waco AND State in San Antonio (they went 3rd) . I really think it affects the bands, in addition to the scoring. 

On 11/7/2021 at 12:05 AM, BandFan59 said:

In 2012 Marcus won the BOA San Antonio Super Regional sweeping captions and went on to win UIL State that year. In 2016 Flower Mound won the BOA San Antonio Super Regional sweeping captions and went on to win UIL State that year. Now that Hebron has won BOA San Antonio sweeping captions I think it's time for them to join their fellow Lewisville ISD bands and win UIL State!

I think it would be awesome if it happened, but keep in mind the Flower Mound was not competing at BOA San Antonio.

1 minute ago, shaggy said:

Round Rock really cant catch a break this year. San Antonio prelims they had someone fall really bad at the very beginning of the show causing others to fall as well. And at UIL they had a guard member hurt herself and stuck on the ground unable to walk for about a minute and a half of the show until someone ran on the field and carried her off. I doubt these things affect the scoring too terribly but I know how demoralizing it is to have things like this happen during the most important runs of the whole season. Hopefully they still have a shot at finals, because the run sounded and looked way better than on Friday.

The guard member dislocated her knee. I saw that fall at SA BOA. I bout had cardiac arrest when that happened but they recovered quickly.

35 minutes ago, NEPats said:

The guard member dislocated her knee. I saw that fall at SA BOA. I bout had cardiac arrest when that happened but they recovered quickly.

I love Round Rock but they’re putting a lot of demand on their guard, I think they need to tone it back a bit.

They’re trying their hardest but the pressure and demand is getting to them. It’s really difficult.

52 minutes ago, TxBands:) said:

I'm interested to see how percussions stack up against each other, I'm assuming that vandy and round rocks percussion scores will be pretty high, but outside of that I'm not too sure

Coppell and Marcus are the two to look out for from DFW. Hebron has historically been elite but their results at HEB/pdlc had them lower than you’d expect. Hard to say with FloMo as they don’t do many drum line contests anymore. Same with round rock. I imagine vista will be up there too. 

On 11/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, lost said:

Frenships draw is absurd. I know UIL wants to keep fairness in the draw but a band 5 hours from the venue in Lubbock should not have to go first block.

It happens.

2 years ago, Mansfield pretty much had to leave the game Friday night, go back to the school, switch buses, and head out to Midland for BOA.

The turnaround between BOA Waco and 5A State was ridiculously short for a few bands.

No Sleep 'Til Medals are hanging around your neck and your Drum Major is holding the trophy