2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

12 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Wow, VERY rough draws for Waxahachie, Marcus, and Round Rock going 1st, 2nd, and 4th. I remember in 2018 the Woodlands was the 1st band to perform and they nearly missed finals finishing 12th in prelims. Hopefully these groups are still able to perform at a high level.

Great final block though- Flo Mo, Reagan and Vista Ridge all in a row. then Coppell and CTJ towards the end of that block

Top 12 predictions anyone?

I assume the "usual"

1. Vandegrift
  2. Ronald Reagan
  3. Woodlands
  4. FloMo
  5. CT Johnson
  6. Hebron
  7. Marcus
  8. Vista Ridge
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Keller
  11. Westlake
  12. Coppell

Not in that order of course. Just the Top 12.  

But what do y'all think of the "breakout" bands from DFW:  Timber Creek and Southlake Carroll?   Carroll, especially has surprised us consistently in a good way. Timber Creek shocked me yesterday with a Top 5 finish. I had them at 7th. Good momentum for both these fantastic bands.

35 minutes ago, HeartOfTexas said:

I assume the "usual"

1. Vandegrift
  2. Ronald Reagan
  3. Woodlands
  4. FloMo
  5. CT Johnson
  6. Hebron
  7. Marcus
  8. Vista Ridge
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Keller
  11. Westlake
  12. Coppell

But what do y'all think of the "breakout" bands from DFW:  Timber Creek and Southlake Carroll?   Carroll, especially has surprised us consistently in a good way. Timber Creek shocked me yesterday with a Top 5 finish. I had them at 7th. Good momentum for both these fantastic bands.

Woodlands are not attending state.

Carroll and Timber creek I think will be close to the bubble of finals. Waxahachie will have their work cut out for them to make finals being first on.

35 minutes ago, HeartOfTexas said:

I assume the "usual"

1. Vandegrift
  2. Ronald Reagan
  3. Woodlands
  4. FloMo
  5. CT Johnson
  6. Hebron
  7. Marcus
  8. Vista Ridge
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Keller
  11. Westlake
  12. Coppell

Woodlands will not be there - they opted out of state

38 minutes ago, HeartOfTexas said:

I assume the "usual"

1. Vandegrift
  2. Ronald Reagan
  3. Woodlands
  4. FloMo
  5. CT Johnson
  6. Hebron
  7. Marcus
  8. Vista Ridge
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Keller
  11. Westlake
  12. Coppell

based on yesterdays results I would say that the the top half at SMBC will be - in no order

FloMo - bested Hebron

CTJ - bested Reagan

Vista - bested Vandy

Hebron

Reagan

Vandy

Not a big fan of Hebron’s ensemble visual this year. As people have previously stated, they’re moving better and faster than ever, but it’s going to be a pain to get clean. Everything looks sort of blobby even when the feet are in time. Vandegrift on the other hand has a really great look IMO, just very challenging. I think they’re on schedule to peak precisely on finals night for state.

Flower Mound also looks really good, their choreo is probably my favorite of any band this year. Music hasn’t cleaned up as fast as in previous years, but then again they’re on a different timetable. I’ve got them medaling at the very least here, regardless of who else is on the podium. I’d be kind of surprised to see this show win, but also not really. They are Flower Mound, after all.

CTJ could absolutely take this thing, just depends on how much they can get done in the next week plus. They strike the balance between demand and showmanship really well. Vista Ridge I think has the furthest to go cleanliness wise, which is great for them because they have Grand ambitions. I don’t think it’ll be at the level of the other bands yet, but I’m not a judge or a band director. 

10 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Wow, VERY rough draws for Waxahachie, Marcus, and Round Rock going 1st, 2nd, and 4th. I remember in 2018 the Woodlands was the 1st band to perform and they nearly missed finals finishing 12th in prelims. Hopefully these groups are still able to perform at a high level.

Can you explain why these are roughy draws? I’m obviously a novice.

1 hour ago, Cherish4 said:

Can you explain why these are roughy draws? I’m obviously a novice.

For Waxahachie and Marcus - if they aren't getting to San Antonio the night before, thats a hellish logistical nightmare for the band. If the band truck is arriving at Alamodome at 6:30AM, subtract 5 (maybe more) hours from that for a reliable departure time from the Dallas area. Those kids will be exhausted before the contest even starts and thus won't be as well rested as some of their counterparts competing for finals.

More importantly, all 3 bands are strong contenders for finals (or even locks in Marcus' case). The bands need to perform strongly enough to remain in the forefront of the judges' minds for the rest of Prelims. A judge may be more conservative in scoring a band at the  very beginning of the day vs. later on - thus the bands who went earlier may get lower of a score than they would have if they had competed in a block closer to other potential finalist bands for a better judging comparison. 

7 hours ago, justabandkid94 said:

For Waxahachie and Marcus - if they aren't getting to San Antonio the night before, thats a hellish logistical nightmare for the band. If the band truck is arriving at Alamodome at 6:30AM, subtract 5 (maybe more) hours from that for a reliable departure time from the Dallas area. Those kids will be exhausted before the contest even starts and thus won't be as well rested as some of their counterparts competing for finals.

More importantly, all 3 bands are strong contenders for finals (or even locks in Marcus' case). The bands need to perform strongly enough to remain in the forefront of the judges' minds for the rest of Prelims. A judge may be more conservative in scoring a band at the  very beginning of the day vs. later on - thus the bands who went earlier may get lower of a score than they would have if they had competed in a block closer to other potential finalist bands for a better judging comparison. 

Marcus always stays over from BOA to state. So they'll be okay. Besides, if anyone remembers Unwritten in 2019, they went first at like 7:30 at BOA SA on two hours sleep. They won the 4A prelims music caption--that performance was electrifying. There's just something about being the early band on the lot.