2021 6A UIL SMBC (Nov. 8 & 9)

I still can’t believe that there are contests this fall for EVERY single class in UIL!  What a year.

The 6A state marching contest will be held in the Alamodome on Monday, November 8 with prelims lasting all day long followed by finals on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 9.

As a reminder, the 2A class bands will have prelims the morning of Tuesday the 9th with finals being held that evening after the completion of the 6A class.

The 4A class competition is to be held all day on Wednesday, November 10.

1 hour ago, J-Mike16 said:

I am pumped for the fall! It will be full mayhem from start to finish! 6A will be a bloodbath and I expect JBA to finish in the top 20 (maybe even top 15) !!!!!!!

I wish I could just stay in San Antonio for two weeks but I’m headed to Indy for GN. Guess I’ll have to catch it on Box5TV. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, LeanderMomma said:

I still can’t believe that there are contests this fall for EVERY single class in UIL!  What a year.

The 6A state marching contest will be held in the Alamodome on Monday, November 8 with prelims lasting all day long followed by finals on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 9.

As a reminder, the 2A class bands will have prelims the morning of Tuesday the 9th with finals being held that evening after the completion of the 6A class.

The 4A class competition is to be held all day on Wednesday, November 10.

This used to happen every year decades ago. Every class, prelims and finals, and all on one Saturday in Austin (most years).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 11:11 PM, LeanderMomma said:

That’s mind boggling to me. All in one day?!!

Yes, all in one day! Every large stadium in Austin was in use during the prelims during the day and the finalists performed in the evening at UT's Memorial Stadium. Of course, there were only 5 finalists per class. Still, it was a long day. You pretty much had to pick which class you wanted to watch in the prelims. I mainly went to Burger stadium to watch the 5A groups. There were no 6A's back then and many of the top bands today didn't exist at that time and their schools weren't built yet. Some of the big names in those days - Westfield, De Soto, Crockett, Duncanville, Klein, Spring, Permian, MacArthur, Cooper, and Churchill just to name a few.

23 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Yes, all in one day! Every large stadium in Austin was in use during the prelims during the day and the finalists performed in the evening at UT's Memorial Stadium. Of course, there were only 5 finalists per class. Still, it was a long day. You pretty much had to pick which class you wanted to watch in the prelims. I mainly went to Burger stadium to watch the 5A groups. There were no 6A's back then and many of the top bands today didn't exist at that time and their schools weren't built yet. Some of the big names in those days - Westfield, De Soto, Crockett, Duncanville, Klein, Spring, Permian, MacArthur, Cooper, and Churchill just to name a few.

Let's see... Big name 6A/5A bands/schools that didn't even exist in the mid-80's... CTJ, Ronald Reagan, James Bowie, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, Vandegrift, Cedar Ridge, Hendrickson, Hebron...  The list could go on.

• 2 months later...

Wish UIL would confirm the Alamodome for UIL 2A/4A/6A State contest, still have it as site TBD in the web page ?   Anyone know if they confirmed with the Alamodome yet and just have not updated the website?

Open Class Contest

2021 1A/3A/5A Contest: November 1, 2, 3
Alamodome: San Antonio

*2021 2A/4A/6A Contest: November 8, 9, 10
Site: To Be Determine

On 9/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, gregorydf01 said:

Wish UIL would confirm the Alamodome for UIL 2A/4A/6A State contest, still have it as site TBD in the web page ?   Anyone know if they confirmed with the Alamodome yet and just have not updated the website?

Open Class Contest

2021 1A/3A/5A Contest: November 1, 2, 3
Alamodome: San Antonio

*2021 2A/4A/6A Contest: November 8, 9, 10
Site: To Be Determine

Back in earlier months of summer (June-ish) the website DID say the Alamodome was the location for 2A/4A/6A, but now.... TBD? (I noticed this change as well recently)

I keep stalking to see when the venue will be officially announced. #ImpatientlyPatientlyWaiting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, RodanSt said:

Does anyone know how the new judging system works? I saw that it was a 7 judge system, but it seems that there are more than 7 adjudicators for each division.

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure

It would appear that the 7 judge system puts 4 on music, 2 on visual, and 1 on content/design whereas the 5 judge system simply has 3 music and 2 visual.

Practically, I have no clue how that will affect things but the rules make it clear that all scores count. There’s no throwing out high/low scores.

49 minutes ago, NEWWAVE96 said:

Looks like 40 bands will make it to UIL 6A state does that mean there will be 14 bands in finals instead of 12?

The most likely scenario with the results we have is 39, so it will probably just be 12 in finals again. But if somehow we do get 40 at state due to a bad judge rule or something similar, then yes 14 will make finals.

16 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

The most likely scenario with the results we have is 39, so it will probably just be 12 in finals again. But if somehow we do get 40 at state due to a bad judge rule or something similar, then yes 14 will make finals.

It’ll suck to lose out 2 whole finalist spots by 1 band. In 2018 I believe if 14 advanced finals would’ve also taken Oak Ridge & Round Rock if I’m not mistaken? I haven’t seen those results sheets in a looooong time.

Speaking of which I think if any area is likely to invoke the bad judge rule it’s probably going to be H again.

I’m pretty sure Area H is only taking 3 and that third spot sure is competitive. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ordinals are a bit mixed and it ends up in a bad judge rule scenario. Would really be a great thing. Maybe it’s my wishful thinking. Maybe Westlake will easily take those 3’s cleanly and leave the other bands with no room. I can’t be sure but I’d like to give Brandeis and Lake Travis the benefit of the doubt.

15 minutes ago, lost said:

Speaking of which I think if any area is likely to invoke the bad judge rule it’s probably going to be H again.

I’m pretty sure Area H is only taking 3 and that third spot sure is competitive. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ordinals are a bit mixed and it ends up in a bad judge rule scenario. Would really be a great thing. Maybe it’s my wishful thinking. Maybe Westlake will easily take those 3’s cleanly and leave the other bands with no room. I can’t be sure but I’d like to give Brandeis and Lake Travis the benefit of the doubt.

Area H is guaranteed to take 4, all 23 bands got a 1 at region. I actually think there’s a decent chance we’ll see bad judge rule in Area A. Permian will likely sweep and then it’ll be very close between the likes of Pebble Hills, Eastlake, and maybe Coronado. 

19 hours ago, lost said:

Area H for 5A is only 3 bands.   Westlake is in the 6A Area H group and 6A has 4 bands going.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:08 AM, abtwitch said:

Area H is guaranteed to take 4, all 23 bands got a 1 at region. I actually think there’s a decent chance we’ll see bad judge rule in Area A. Permian will likely sweep and then it’ll be very close between the likes of Pebble Hills, Eastlake, and maybe Coronado. 

I was worried Area H wouldn’t take 4. It’s very good to hear that they are.

You're definitely right in that Area A will probably end up taking an extra band by that rule.

I believe they’re the other recent example where that rule was invoked, at least in 6A.

• 2 weeks later...

State Qualifying Bands:

The Woodlands College Park

Klein Oak

Tomball Memorial

Oak Ridge

Klein Cain

Vista Ridge

Vandegrift

Westlake

Lake Travis

Coppell

Keller

Southlake Carroll

Waxahachie

Timber Creek

Bridgeland

Cypress Woods

Seven Lakes

Jersey Village

Pearland

Clear Brook

Clements

Stephen F. Austin

John B. Alexander

Edinburg North

Hanna

Harlingen

Flower Mound

Hebron

Marcus

Sachse

Wylie

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Ronald Reagan

Cedar Ridge

Round Rock

Westwood

Frenship

Permian

37 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

FloMo is the prohibitive favorite. But I’m having a little trouble keeping track of who’s actually attending state and who isn’t.

Prohibitive favorite?  There are so many great 6A bands I don't think there is any way to reasonably claim anybody to be such a strong favorite to win this contest.