2021 5A UIL SMBC (Nov. 1 & 2)

8 hours ago, Senior22Dad said:

Seriously?! Your brother laid his head down tonight with either one or two gold medals he’s earned. And that’s because CP and those kids are just about technically perfect musically and visually. There was no criticism of the kids out there.
IMO that show wasn’t designed for people outside of the CP bubble, other than being extremely difficult and demanding. It just didn’t connect with me. That obviously doesn’t matter to anyone else, especially the judges lol. Congrats on their win!

I think I like the Leander ISD shows a little more than you do but I get with where you are coming from.  The same thing happens in DCI with the Blue Devils.  Out of the last 8 world championships the Blue Devils have one, there's only one or two of them where I actually prefer the Blue Devils over whatever corp finished 2nd.

And I'm not a BD hater, I love the Blue Devils from the 80's and 90's during my formative years of watching marching band/DCI.  But the reason the Blue Devils have 13 year streak of top 2 finishes is that they consistently execute technically at an amazing level.  But unfortunately amazing execution at a technical level doesn't always translate into exciting shows.

22 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

I feel like the new judging format had a pretty good first outing. Despite there still being the traditional UIL judge who doesn't seem to be judging the same contest as everyone else, the outlier scores didn't have nearly as much of an effect on placements as other years.

True! I wonder if they added up scores (like BOA or DCI) instead of doing ordinals if anything would’ve changed in placements.

7 minutes ago, DallasFan said:

True! I wonder if they added up scores (like BOA or DCI) instead of doing ordinals if anything would’ve changed in placements.

If you were to add up the raw scores from each judge, divide by 7 for an average, and then divide by 10 for an out of 100 score( similar to BOA or DCI) you would get:

CP-94.8

Rouse-93.5

Leander-93.0

I didn't have time to do the remainder of the top 12 but I would imagine it would stay mostly the same.

2 hours ago, VinoGirl said:

In addition to waking up with HP's Sugar Rush music in my head (b/c that was my kid's show, so it's been in my head since August), I also have Rouse's music in my head. 🙂 Again, every performance was truly outstanding yesterday, but Rouse's show was especially lovely IMO...really loved that music book!

I hear you. The end of Leander’s ballad where the brass really swells has been constantly playing in my head since I went to bed last night.

2 hours ago, VinoGirl said:

Congratulations to all the finalists and to the medalists! It was such a wonderful experience seeing all of those shows in one sitting, and seeing the full band retreat at the end. I can't wait to follow along for 6A...

It was an amazing contest!!!!!

22 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

If you were to add up the raw scores from each judge, divide by 7 for an average, and then divide by 10 for an out of 100 score( similar to BOA or DCI) you would get:

CP-94.8

Rouse-93.5

Leander-93.0

I didn't have time to do the remainder of the top 12 but I would imagine it would stay mostly the same.

I also just realised that these scores actually would make sense as a continuation of what we saw in Waco on Saturday. Obviously you can't quite compare the two in a 1-1 format, but this does bode well for all three bands making SA finals this coming weekend.