2021 5A UIL SMBC (Nov. 1 & 2)

3 minutes ago, principalagent said:

Leander ISD’s third sweep, and now five of its six schools have participated in at least one of them.

if Vista Ridge and Vandegrift go 1-2 next week, is that a Royal Flush?

The city of Cedar Park would keep its current monopoly on SMBC titles.  

Aside - with Leander dropping back to 5A, I thought it might finally be their year.  I thought Rouse was underrated back in 2019, though I am pretty far from an expert.

Random things of note from the recaps:

•  Colleyville Heritage & Forney greatly benefited from their ranks in Content & Design, with Forney actually placing #1 in the caption in prelims while placing 8th overall. 
  • Only two judges had Cedar Park lower than top 2 and each of those judges had them lower than 5th, both in completely different captions.
  • Leander's 13th in content & design could have very well cost them a 2nd place finish in prelims, if the C&D judge had them in 3rd which was the average of all of Leander's captions then they would have been 2nd.
  • While CH & Forney benefited from the C&D caption it seems Wakeland & Leander were most hurt by it, their C&D scores having the greatest difference from their overall scores in other captions. 

Dang Roma comes out in 13th overall, just barely missing finals. They also got 13th at BOA Waco, just missing finals. I'm sure they gave it their all this season after receiving a Division II in 2019 due to a penalty for exceeding the eight minute allotted performance time, thus unable to participate in the Area/State contest for the 10th consecutive year. In 2017 they got 11th, just barely missing finals.

But on a more positive note! Congrats to every single band! This 5A contest was truly amazing. So many great programs!