2021 5A UIL SMBC (Nov. 1 & 2)

5 minutes ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

If anyone here didn't get the Box 5 subscription for prelims, Box 5 is showing the retreat on YouTube.

Thank you for sharing. The energy is truly electrifying just through livestream. I’ve seen a lot of contests streamed but there’s an entirely new energy that I hear and feel in this crowd. Needless to say, it is awesome.

Congratulations to all 5A State Qualifiers and thank you for giving up your time to entertain us audience members with your shows. By qualifiers I don’t just mean the hardworking students, but the parents who supported their students, the parents who worked on pit crew and all amazing program parents. I’m also talking to the outstanding directors. I’m talking to the gracious teachers who understand their band students might be out a few days, and are kind with deadlines.

Thank you.

5A State Finalists (in performance order):
2:15 PM - McCallum H.S.
2:30 PM - Colleyville Heritage H.S.
2:45 PM - Hendrickson H.S.
3:00 PM - Forney H.S.
3:15 PM - Dripping Springs H.S.
3:30 PM - Friendswood H.S.

3:45 PM - Break

4:00 PM - Wakeland H.S.
4:15 PM - Aledo H.S.
4:30 PM - Cedar Park H.S.
4:45 PM - Highland Park H.S.
5:00 PM - Leander H.S.
5:15 PM - Rouse H.S.

Congratulations to all finalist bands!

Just now, BandFan59 said:

It does seem to be a top half bottom half split. I don't think UIL has ever utilized this format before, so this is a first. We'll probably be seeing similar scheduling for the rest of the state contests as well.

I'm not opposed.  But winning from the 1st slot is not unheard of. Cedar Park did it in 2017 IIRC.

Just now, MikeKyu said:

I agree.. It may be a new feature of the new judging system that we overlooked? 

I’m inclined to believe this is the case, with UIL modernizing score sheets maybe they also followed suit with a top/half finals? I’m honestly not sure.

If this was completely random it is a pretty interesting situation. Then again I don’t want to be that guy so I will say we don’t have a guarantee that all of the bands in the second half are top six, even if we have very strong very reliable guesses.