2021 5A UIL SMBC (Nov. 1 & 2)

10 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

Just take the days off and come to one of the best shows you'll ever get to see. You only have 2 chances to see your kid perform in this show. Prelims are great. Plenty of seating as fans file in and out to see the bands they want to. Finals get announced and then anticipation goes into overdrive.

For finals, people line up early. It's a real celebratory environment (and nerves for the parents whose kids are marching). That first band comes out and all of that nervous energy goes away from the crowd. Now it's 140 minutes to enjoy bands, reminisce on the season, and hope for joy for your favorite band/kid. Last band leaves the field and the crowd starts buzzing. "Who do you have in 1st? What's your favorite show? Congrats, I love your kid's band. Let's hope for the best. Etc..."

Then the full retreat starts. Drumline brings out all of the bands and the entire field is filled with beautiful colors. Awards ceremony. Places are awarded. Then the bands celebrate on field. It's a wonderful sight. 

Absolutely do it. I don't even have a kid in high school anymore and I won't miss 5A and 6A SMBC. 

Thanks, I appreciate the info and what to expect! I rented a hotel room, and now we wait to see if my husband can get off work. I'm excited! 

27 minutes ago, Tailgate88 said:

Trivia question: Has any band advanced to Finals the first time they made it to State?  

Quite a few actually. Flowermound, Weiss, Wylie East, Burleson Centennial, Rouse, and maybe a few others. 

2 hours ago, propsquaddad said:

Well, at area, Rouse beat Leander in both the prelims and finals. So I'm betting for a Cedar Park, Rouse, Leander or Highland Park top 3 for SMBC

There was only 1 point difference between each of Cedar Park, Rouse, and Leander in finals at Area. Leander has consistently won in music at BOA Austin, TMC, and UIL Area finals and beat Rouse at TMC. The different scoring configuration and ratio may come into play. It will be tight at the top and interesting to see how it comes out. It should be entertaining regardless! 

21 hours ago, lhbenlee said:

There was only 1 point difference between each of Cedar Park, Rouse, and Leander in finals at Area. Leander has consistently won in music at BOA Austin, TMC, and UIL Area finals and beat Rouse at TMC. The different scoring configuration and ratio may come into play. It will be tight at the top and interesting to see how it comes out. It should be entertaining regardless! 

I agree, I think its going to come down to who puts the best Finals run together, and then the difference in UIL scoring vs BOA scoring.