2021 5A UIL SMBC (Nov. 1 & 2)

I think we still head to a Leander ISD threepeat, but I’m shakier on the prediction than I had been. There’s a lot of good band in 5A this year. Wakeland of course is happy to play spoiler to LISD’s fun, and this year is far from an exception. Not to mention Weiss and Johnson attempting to make an impact on their way to 6A next season. Not sure who else could make a meaningful challenge up top. Lone Star is very clean, Forney’s show has wheels (the design caption should treat them favorably), and Highland Park could be anywhere. 

3 hours ago, lost said:

Wakeland is easily a lock. Wylie East, Lebanon Trail and Lone Star have decent shots. That’s about it.

What about Lovejoy? They’ve beaten LT and Wylie East, and the new judging system looks like it could favor them over LT, who got 8th at McKinney with this new judging system yesterday.

53 minutes ago, Wendy41899 said:

Just curious, do you know what the new judging system is? 

So according to questions I’ve asked and no research, music will be split into WWs, brass percussion and ensemble(I think), and visual set into individual, ensemble and overall product quality. Not 100% this is it but I’m fairly sure. They use this type of scoring at the McKinney marching contest on Saturday

52 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

So according to questions I’ve asked and no research, music will be split into WWs, brass percussion and ensemble(I think), and visual set into individual, ensemble and overall product quality. Not 100% this is it but I’m fairly sure. They use this type of scoring at the McKinney marching contest on Saturday

Thanks! 

29 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I think I’m going to have to get to San Antonio two days early so I can at least attend 5A state finals. I thought I could be content just watching it on Box5 but I truly don’t think I can stand missing it live!!  ?

That's exactly why I rented a house for the week. It's going to be an epic and unpredictable week. 

On 10/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, principalagent said:

I think we still head to a Leander ISD threepeat, but I’m shakier on the prediction than I had been. There’s a lot of good band in 5A this year. Wakeland of course is happy to play spoiler to LISD’s fun, and this year is far from an exception. Not to mention Weiss and Johnson attempting to make an impact on their way to 6A next season. Not sure who else could make a meaningful challenge up top. Lone Star is very clean, Forney’s show has wheels (the design caption should treat them favorably), and Highland Park could be anywhere. 

I think your pretty spot on. I have not seen Lone Star or Forney's show, However, Forney has a curse trying to make it to the finals at State. Highland Park is the BIG unknown here. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

It would be a shocker if it is anything other than those three.

So, to clarify this post.... I was thinking this was the Area H thread when I posted that. 

As for State - I think an LISD sweep is entirely possible, but I think Wakeland and Highland Park will both push to break into the medals.  Should be a really interesting Finals.

I really think Wakeland will be in the medals. IMO, they were even underscored at the very competitive BOA 2 weeks ago. There’s something about the music (loved The River Cam since Leander played it in Color Study), theme, and all the wave-y energy in the drill that just grabs you.