2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

8 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Hey now, you brought small Texas bands up and I gave a hypothetical example.

I'm just laughing. I'm one of the extremely few people who has competed against Wester Pennsylvania's best and marched with them as well. I have competed against and marched with both Kiski and Norwin as well as competed against them both. Yeah, my parents moved around a lot. 

It's very hard to compare small bands when they aren't competing on "the big stages." Is Argyle excellent? Yep. But I also like to keep fantasy out of current contests. 

Would I have loved to see BOA Sam Antonio's finalists all attent nationals? Yeah!! But I'm also not invalidating the results with a "But if Vandergrift went they would place xxx"

Enjoy the moment for what it is. Each victory is well worth it and comparing those to non-attending bands is, in my opinion, irrelevant. 

Have fun with semi and finals runs. It's a magical time. 

1 hour ago, MikeKyu said:

I'm just laughing. I'm one of the extremely few people who has competed against Wester Pennsylvania's best and marched with them as well. I have competed against and marched with both Kiski and Norwin as well as competed against them both. Yeah, my parents moved around a lot. 

It's very hard to compare small bands when they aren't competing on "the big stages." Is Argyle excellent? Yep. But I also like to keep fantasy out of current contests. 

Would I have loved to see BOA Sam Antonio's finalists all attent nationals? Yeah!! But I'm also not invalidating the results with a "But if Vandergrift went they would place xxx"

Enjoy the moment for what it is. Each victory is well worth it and comparing those to non-attending bands is, in my opinion, irrelevant. 

Have fun with semi and finals runs. It's a magical time. 

Oh come on.

People with eyes and ears can make an easy judgement call.

If Norwin could play in tune with good fundamental tone quality it would be a contest, but alas.

2 hours ago, FloMoParent said:

IF Argyle HS would have gone to Nats, that would have been THREE High Schools from the Town of Flower Mound!  (Argyle HS is actually in Flower Mound).  But different school district.

Argyle would compete well with similar sized schools. Their percussion alone would fit in with the big dogs already. They are very UIL-minded and would have to make some changes to adapt to BOA. It's just not cost effective for small schools in Texas to do both. But congrats to Argyle for becoming the leader in UIL championships all-time this week. 

6 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

But they didn't so that comment is irrelevant. 

I think that the first four and last four bands in semis are the "next 8" scoring bands from prelims. If that is the case, Norwin was one of the top 11 bands from their prelims day.

1 hour ago, TWHSParent said:

Also not a Texas band, but props to Murray, KY for being the first class A band to advance on score since 2015. Huge accomplishment for them!

I’m actually not surprised at all! I saw tune live yesterday and both me and my friend were in shock at how amazing they were! We were so nervous when they called them last, and I can’t wait to see them later today(hopefully twice).