2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

1 hour ago, slowbrass said:

With a packed finals crowd and a bit of luck with the draw, the woodlands could make a serious run at this thing. Side by side with groups like BA I thought they sounded better and offered a more varied and technical guard package. 

I feel like this is a common theme with this new direction TW has taken on in the past few years. Would love to see some more consistency for them across competitions but the risk is worth the reward!

1 hour ago, vistaridgefan42069 said:

i feel that way about like ten different programs this year 

i don’t know if we’ll see the highest scores ever tomorrow, but we are definitely gonna be seeing some of the closest scores ever

I would guess a little lower since many bands lost a competitive year with all the sophomores that are really freshman in terms of experience.  I thought the San Antonio scores were biased lower, but of course that can could be unrelated to my point.

14 minutes ago, principalagent said:

I’ve been a Round Rock fan for a while, and was a massive defender of them in 2017 and 2019. But I just don’t think it happens this time. It’s not the kids—they’re doing their job and pushing hard. It’s the show. I would love to be proved wrong, but…

They will be ahead of most of the bands on performance quality alone.

Just like 2017 where the scored 87ish out of SA Finals and got 12th at GN’s.

I actually have Marcus as my most likely medal contender from Texas, but so many people have them middle of the pack in their finals predictions (which is a crime).  From what I've seen and heard, there is NO ONE that comes close to how clean they look and how sophisticated they sound. They might not be pulling out all the GE stops like FM, CTJ, and TWHS are, but their achievement is unmatched. As for BA, I was left feeling like I was missing something--not sure what just quite yet. I personally see them in the middle of the pack this year.

37 minutes ago, bandfan101 said:

I feel like this is a common theme with this new direction TW has taken on in the past few years. Would love to see some more consistency for them across competitions but the risk is worth the reward!

Honestly, The Woodlands' shift in 2019 is one of the ballsiest things I've seen a group do. And the fact that they're still able to post scores in the mid-90s with a show that is so completely different from their old ones is remarkable, as is the fact that they've got the same designer and director as before. Very, very forward-thinking staff.

I thought Round Rock was very good, but yeah, it might be difficult for them to crack finals this year. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong!

On the point of scores, I'm wondering if we're able to crack 97 like in recent years. I think we may get a 96-something champion, based on San Antonio. All that said, I don't really regard scores as especially accurate representations of historical greatness. The best high school show ever, Lassiter's 2002 production, Liturgical Sketches, got like a 95-something. (Of course, that's not an objective statement; I can only strive for what Harold Bloom called a "perfect subjectivity." 😂)

5 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I actually have Marcus as my most likely medal contender from Texas, but so many people have them middle of the pack in their finals predictions (which is a crime).  From what I've seen and heard, there is NO ONE that comes close to how clean they look and how sophisticated they sound. They might not be pulling out all the GE stops like FM, CTJ, and TWHS are, but their achievement is unmatched. As for BA, I was left feeling like I was missing something--not sure what just quite yet. I personally see them in the middle of the pack this year.

I love Marcus' production this year, and it's much nicer to look at than it was earlier in the season, since they've painted all those blocks. They sound fabulous, one of the best. But overall, as elegant as it is, the show doesn't quite excite me like the others you mentioned, and there was some pretty significant dirt in the ensemble visual in the closer.

Here are my predictions based on performance results:

1. Broken Arrow, OK (V/GE)

2. Carmel, IN(M)

3. Flower Mound, TX

4. Avon, IN

5. Claudia Taylor Johnson, TX

6. The Woodlands, TX

7.  Ronald Reagan, TX

8.  Marcus, TX

9.  Blue Springs, MO

10. Wando, SC

11. William Mason, OH

12. Dobyns-Bennett, TN 

** it's very likely to see a tie for that last spot into finals. D-B, Round Rock, Vista Ridge, Homestead, and Marion Catholic are all very good this year. But this is how I have ranked the top 12 by performance. I wish Hebron would have come...  they very likely could have won IMO. I love all of these performances this year.. but it is VERY tough to depict.

12 minutes ago, Calebljackson said:

I wish Hebron would have come... they would be taking that Eagle home this year IMO. I love all of these performances this year.. but it is VERY tough to depict.

And I’ve heard that Reagan would have 2 years ago if they went but Vandegrift won and we’re proud TeamTexas just the same. Don’t tarnish a legacy but saying “if only this band went”.  There are no asterisks. 

17 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Does anybody have the specific judging assignments for semis and finals? Especially semis. I know who's judging, just not what they're judging.

SEMIS:

Music: Mike Howard, Jay Kennedy, Chester Phillips, and Ken Turner.
Visual: Curtis Costanza, Marie Czapinski, and Tim Ochran.
Chief: John Phillips.

FINALS:

Music: George Boulden, Glenn Fugett, Nola Jones, and Greg Williams.
Visual: John Howell, Jim Sturgeon, and Michael Turner.

2 minutes ago, CLJ said:

SEMIS:

Music: Mike Howard, Jay Kennedy, Chester Phillips, and Ken Turner.
Visual: Curtis Costanza, Marie Czapinski, and Tim Ochran.

FINALS:

Music: George Boulden, Glenn Fugett, Nola Jones, and Greg Williams.
Visual: John Howell, Jim Sturgeon, and Michael Turner.

Like, even more specific than that. Who's judging effect, ensemble performance, etc.

2 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Marcus is exceptionally clean this year. They really remind me this year of Drinkwater-era Marcus when they and LD Bell were running high school marching band in the state of Texas. That said, I just don't think the design of the show is strong enough to compete with the likes of Flower Mound, Broken Arrow, etc. I except their performance captions to be very high though.