2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

11 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Why is Carmel not the favorite?

They have a better show than BA and no tuning issues as of two weeks ago.

I don't know much about the Carmel show this year, or if this was the intent, but I find those black boxes so haunting. Like a cloud of dread hanging over the entire production, which weirdly marries well with how Saucedo plays with some of the source material in a subversive, borderline uncomfortable way. Reminiscent of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

1 hour ago, LoudBaritone said:

I went to The Woodlands send off for grand nats and I will say this y'all are under estimating them.  You can tell that band is out to win it all they have a vengeance to win it all.  I have BA first but TWHS second with Avon third and FloMo 4th.  I may be way wrong but from what I've seen this is what my gut is telling me.

i don't think people are really underestimating them. in fact, i think it's really great to see how people are responding so positively to the show, especially the people who have seen it live. when i saw it at BOA Conroe this year, i was standing up and applauding before the end, which i've never done before. it's great to see kind of a similar response from other, less biased people late season.

if they're not being predicted for the very tippy top this year, it's because there are lots of other really great programs, and we're all trying to figure out what the panels will think. the competition is insane, and gets more insane every year.

don't get me wrong. i'd LOVE to see TWHS improve on their San Antonio placement, but if it's not in the cards, who cares? a great show is a great show is a great show.

15 minutes ago, justabandkid94 said:

I don't know much about the Carmel show this year, or if this was the intent, but I find those black boxes so haunting. Like a cloud of dread hanging over the entire production, which weirdly marries well with how Saucedo plays with some of the source material in a subversive, borderline uncomfortable way. Reminiscent of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

The color/texture of them is so similar to the curtain they use at LOS, I keep wondering if we’re looking at the first “meta” props. I really really dig Carmel this year.

Carmel is great, and definitely a threat for the top here. Their style is generally pretty chilly and unsentimental, which is why audiences don't seem to respond as strongly to their shows. I actually think it's amazing how Carmel has been able to put out show after show after show without "stooping" to sentimentality very often to generate amazing effect. They rely on pure elegance and high execution to inspire awe.

All that said, while I think their show this year is great, it's not my favorite show from them. I think the music book is amazing, but the music performance less-so (or was, back at BOA Indianapolis, at least with regards to blend and characteristic sounds, disregarding the splendid ballad). Also, the visual design is a bit familiar.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, BandFan59 said:

The last event of the season begins in two days! My final predictions:

1. Broken Arrow (M/V)

2. Flower Mound (GE)

3. Avon

4. Claudia Taylor Johnson

5. Carmel

6. The Woodlands

7. Marcus

8. Ronald Reagan

9. William Mason

10. Vista Ridge

11. Blue Springs

12. Dobyns-Bennett

Honestly I can see any bands in the top half winning the whole thing. The field this year is so incredibly competitive. What a time Thursday-Saturday will be!

Dobyns-Bennett has never beaten Wando, Wando has also beaten vista ridge, william mason, CTJ, Castle, D-B.. and pretty much ties with Ronald Reagan and Tarpon Springs consistently. They will definitely be in there somewhere around 7th. D-B, Marion Catholic, Round Rock, and Homestead are going to fight for that 12th place spot.

1 hour ago, Calebljackson said:

Dobyns-Bennett has never beaten Wando, Wando has also beaten vista ridge, william mason, CTJ, Castle, D-B.. and pretty much ties with Ronald Reagan and Tarpon Springs consistently. They will definitely be in there somewhere around 7th. D-B, Marion Catholic, Round Rock, and Homestead are going to fight for that 12th place spot.

I would personally say Wando is probably behind all except maybe VR and DB, but I personally think 7th is kinda to high, but may be wrong, I’d say bottom of finals, but wounds he shocked if not in finals at all. Just so man good bands this year.

9 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Also quick question, is the times listed for the performances on the BOA website with the time zone in Indianapolis? Just wondering bc I was gonna catch Marcus at 5:30, but it seems they’ve already gone, but just wanted to confirm. Looks like Texas time is an hour behind the times on tue schedule.

Yes, they are on EST, so subtract an hour to get the proper Texas time. 

1 hour ago, Calebljackson said:

When did Wando beat Vista Ridge? My brain can’t dig it out from my memory box but maybe it’s failing me.