2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

1 hour ago, AlphaOmega said:

Texas bands going:

Marcus, CTJ, Reagan, Vista Ridge, FloMo, Woodlands, Round Rock. That's seven. And all of them are probably going to make finals. 

Non Texas bands who have historically made finals in recent years:

Homestead, Dobyns-Bennett, William Mason, Avon, Carmel, Blue Springs, Broken Arrow, Marian Catholic (though not since 2017 if I remember correctly), O'Fallon Township, Wando, Castle.

Now let's get this on one list...

Marcus

Homestead

CTJ

Dobyns-Bennett

Reagan

William Mason

FloMo

Avon

Woodlands

Carmel

Round Rock

Blue Springs

Vista Ridge

Broken Arrow

Marian Catholic

O’Fallon Township

Wando

Castle

So that's eighteen bands who all have the capability to make finals. Seven of them are from Texas. If we took the seven Texas bands out, the eleven remaining bands who are strong enough to make finals will all make it, including one other band.

In 2019, six Texas bands went, and all six made finals. There’s a chance that will happen again. I kind of feel bad for the other bands who’d make finals if the Texas bands didn’t go. I want to feel proud, but at the same time it's getting absurd. This will probably be the craziest Grand Nats we've ever had. Good luck, y'all. 

I thought people complained because there weren't enough long distance bands traveling to GN. Imagine if every Texas band + Tarpon, BA, DB, BS, and Wando went one year. Only regular faces you'd see from the area in finals are Avon and Carmel, maybe William Mason.

10 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

While I'm not yet convinced any group will top Broken Arrow in the overall Eagle hunt, I do think the music caption is up for grabs, based on Broken Arrow's OBA finals performance video. Not the best quality sounds I've heard from them. Cold maybe?

It’s Oklahoma at the end of October lol. Just look up their finals performance from OBA in 2014 and compare it to their run at Grand Nats. Or even compare their OBA performance to St. Louis 2 weeks ago. Im sure they will be fine in an indoor stadium

34 minutes ago, bk_bobb said:

The finals will be very stacked.   

Dobyns-Bennett show is breathtaking.  
I see them medaling or winning a caption…. 

Too bad Tarpon or Vandy aren’t coming this year.   

I really do like Dobyns-Bennett too, and while I don’t see them medaling or winning any caption here, I could see them finishing higher than most think. They have a beautiful show. It’s just gonna be very tough winning music when you have Carmel, Broken Arrrow, Flower Mound, amongst others.

11 minutes ago, principalagent said:

LD Bell is the only band to have done all those things, but not in the same year.

LD Bell and Westfield, too! Marcus  and Flower Mound both need to add a Grand Nats win to their belts in order to join them, and The Woodlands needs to win a SMBC Finals. Vandegrift has not yet won a SMBC finals in the highest classification group, but in order to have a win at all three, they just need to pull at San Antonio SR.

Edit: It would also be incorrect for me not to mention CTJ with winning last year's SMBC Finals and 2 San Antonio SR wins.

Well everyone, I happy to announce that I will be going to this fantastic contest. This is my senior year in band and this is really gonna put a cherry(which sadly I do agree with Dan suck) on my marching season!  My band doesn’t do BOA sadly, but I got to go to my first BOA contest and dfw and it was amazing, but this is just something else, and I’m beyond excited!

3 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

LD Bell and Westfield, too! Marcus  and Flower Mound both need to add a Grand Nats win to their belts in order to join them, and The Woodlands needs to win a SMBC Finals. Vandegrift has not yet won a SMBC finals in the highest classification group, but in order to have a win at all three, they just need to pull at San Antonio SR.

Edit: It would also be incorrect for me not to mention CTJ with winning last year's SMBC Finals and 2 San Antonio SR wins.

Oh yes! I forgot that Westfield won the very first San Antonio Super Regional. Barely there, but there!

16 hours ago, avgbandfan5 said:

Add:

Undisputed Undisputed National Champion - winner of BOA GN, SA SR, UIL 6A SMBC

Based on comments, I'll amend the idea:

National Champion - GN winner

Undisputed National Champion - GN winner and undefeated in SRs

Grand Slam - GN, SR, at least one regional or other major competition, and State Champion  - all in singleyear

Super Slam - A Grand Slam plus undefeated in all competitions in a single year

Tiger Slam - Holding all four titles at the same time (GN, SR, R, and State) but spread over two years - named after Tiger Woods, who did this in golf but never had a Grand Slam

Career Slam - a Grand Slam but spread over multiple year

1 hour ago, PLC137 said:

And just when I was about to build out a whole matrix of titles, acronyms, title holders, and naming conventions.

All that said, if someone wins both San Antonio and GN, I'm calling them the undisputed champions.  

Unfortunately the timing hasn’t been right for the SA champion to also take their shot at the Eagle since 2013, really sucks how that’s shaped out😂 even though Vandy did win last Grand Nats, woooo!! let’s see what the champion can do please!?