2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

Very Competitive year, which is always great! It will make it very hard to make finals this time around. Round Rock will have to do better than Marcus to call it safe if not then they can come in last slot but would have to fight with Wando & Dobyns-Bennett

Bands 1-11: 
Avon 
Carmel 
Broken Arrow 
The Woodlands 
Flower Mound 
CTJ 
Reagan 
Blue Springs 
Williams Mason 
Vista Ridge 
Marcus

12: 
Wando
Dobyns-Bennett
Lawrence Township
Round Rock 
Homestead 
Ayala

Marian Catholic

Personally I think Marcus is going to do better than barely making it in.  In their 3 grand nats appearances, the worst they have done is 5th place (and they never even went during their dominant years).  Their show may not be super flashy but people underestimate how effective their artistry in musicianship and clean drill can be.

11 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Personally I think Marcus is going to do better than barely making it in.  In their 3 grand nats appearances, the worst they have done is 5th place (and they never even went during their dominant years).  Their show may not be super flashy but people underestimate how effective their artistry in musicianship and clean drill can be.

I have Marcus high in my predictions list. 

These are mainly opinion based 

1. FlowerMound 

2. BA

3. Vista Ridge

4. Avon 

5. The woodlands 

6. Regan

7. Carmel 

8. CTJ 

9. Blue Springs 

10. WM

11. Round Rock 

12. Homestead 

Music- BA

Visual- Flomo 

GE- Flomo 

really pulling for Flomo to win! I’ve seen this show live so many times now, and every time it’s better.

Sorry for got to mention my top 10 are random order I have no idea as of right now how it will all play out :)but I will agree marcus usually has a strong finish at nats. I am interested in seeing how high blue springs will place. I know they came in 3rd their last showing I am assuming they wont place as high with all the Texas Groups attending. 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, Rubisco said:

Wandered over to Music for All and got the judging panels for this event.

Prelims Panel A: Ryan Brittain (howdy, Westfield alum and amazing horn player!), Dave Carbone, Glenn Fugett, W. Dale Warren, Ken Giese, John Howell, and Michael Turner.

Prelims Panel B: John Alstrin, George Boulden, Nola Jones, Gregg Williams, Lee Carlson, Robert Solomon, and Jim Sturgeon.

Semis Panel: Mike Howard, Jay Kennedy, Chester Phillips, Ken Turner, Curtis Costanza, Marie Czapinski, and Tim Ochran.

Finals Panel: George Boulden, Glenn Fugett, Nola Jones, Greg Williams, John Howell, Jim Sturgeon, and Michael Turner.

No major red flag judges for me, at least when comparing things to my tastes. Well, maybe a couple of slight ones on the semis panel, but hopefully any quirkiness is balanced out. Semis will already be the most nail-biting contest this year.

If I had to guess finals assignments, I'd say Nola Jones and Glenn Fugett on Music GE, George Boulden and Greg Williams on Music Performance, Michael Turner on Individual Visual, Jim Sturgeon on Ensemble Visual, and John Howell on Visual GE. But maybe BOA will change it up a little.

I'm so dumb, I saw the name "Ryan Brittain" and was racking my brain as to where I had heard it. 

He was one of my old band directors and I somehow managed to forget that in the moment. 

34 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

I'm so dumb, I saw the name "Ryan Brittain" and was racking my brain as to where I had heard it. 

He was one of my old band directors and I somehow managed to forget that in the moment. 

……and Ryan was my old band student at Westfield HS from Fall 2001 through Spring 2005!

What I think will happen right now:

1. Broken Arrow (Visual/GE)

2. Flower Mound (Music)

3. Avon

4. Ronald Reagan

5. Carmel

6. The Woodlands

7. Claudia Taylor Johnson

8. Marcus

9. Vista Ridge

10. William Mason

11. Blue Springs

12. Wando

What I would like to happen:

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson (Music/GE)

2. Broken Arrow (Visual)

3. Flower Mound

4. Avon

5. Ronald Reagan

6. The Woodlands

7. Carmel

8. Marcus

9. Vista Ridge

10. Blue Springs

11. William Mason

12. Round Rock

Obviously this is all subject to change but it's fun to speculate about

wow. y'all weren't wrong for once. that Broken Arrow show is stupendously good. i'm really liking the evocative miked trumpet solos that float above the ensemble and the dreamy color palette. it probably has great mise-en-scène as well, but it's hard to tell from the angle.

i was at UIL region to see my alma mater. percussion pretty much fell apart during the accelerando in the closer, oh my goodness it was scary. i'm concerned about that, because there was also a tear during the opener at Houston prelims. the closer also just needs to be a way bigger thing. it didn't make me want to throw somebody else's baby onto the field like the ballad did. guard is pretty solid though.

2 hours ago, packwick said:

i was at UIL region to see my alma mater. percussion pretty much fell apart during the accelerando in the closer, oh my goodness it was scary. i'm concerned about that, because there was also a tear during the opener at Houston prelims. the closer also just needs to be a way bigger thing. it didn't make me want to throw somebody else's baby onto the field like the ballad did. guard is pretty solid though.

Yeah the ending feels very short. Saw a video of it and I'm glad they now have the woodwinds involved. I'm not too worried about the ending because I feel like they know it needs to be bigger. 

I caught Avon and Carmel on high cam.

Yeaaaaah, so I might have been wrong about only 1 Texas band placing in the top 3 at Nationals this year.

I'll say it again, because it bears repeating: make sure you're listening side to side, kiddos!

In their defense, lots of other top groups are having this issue. It's just that it was rather... persistent....

I really do like Carmel's ballad though! I just hope that both groups can get the musical and visual execution a little bit closer to what's typical.