2021 BOA Grand Nationals (Nov. 11-13)

It is always a bit of a crapshoot with Texas bands making the trip up to Indy.  Any band with hope of competing for the Eagle has a lot of built-in advantages to overcome compared to the bands from Indiana/Ohio, etc.  But if we can keep sending a half dozen San Antonio Finals-worthy bands each year, we will have a shot each year.

I think that's what it takes to have an even shot at Kevin making his home in the Lone Star State each offseason.

9 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

It is always a bit of a crapshoot with Texas bands making the trip up to Indy.  Any band with hope of competing for the Eagle has a lot of built-in advantages to overcome compared to the bands from Indiana/Ohio, etc.  But if we can keep sending a half dozen San Antonio Finals-worthy bands each year, we will have a shot each year.

I think that's what it takes to have an even shot at Kevin making his home in the Lone Star State each offseason.

I agree, I am excited to see that we have 7 quality 6A programs going to Indy - I hope more programs start to take the approach of going every other year like TWHS, CTJ, and Round Rock. I know some programs prefer an every 3 or 4 year schedule due to the cost. but I agree we keep sending a strong contingent and we increase the chances that Texas bands continue to dominate the finals and take some medals

2 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

A conversation to be had another time centering around the “chicken or the egg” nature of the limited rehearsal time(compared to outside of Texas) and whether that is an excuse, or the cause of why Texas groups may lack in some certain design aspects. And I think it’s good to stick to the facts of the matter that those limitations exist, the location of Grand Nats being quite far from Texas of course can be another factor for a stressor to band programs that wanna make the trip compared to Midwestern groups that have that lessened with their geography. I won’t really account for that so much as the actual practice time that’s afforded to the schools here, and would very much love to envision the playing field being evened up in that respect alone, seeing what impacts that would have in the first few years after it’s implemented, production value, performance, expression, and complexity from Texas groups would, just based on my speculation of course not matter of fact, just be quite insane to see. This conversation is definitely not new, but it’s always fun to think about!

Just as a sampling on the location aspect of Grand Nationals let's reverse this and look at when Avon came to Texas.  They received 4th place at BOA San Antonio in 2017.    2006 is the last time they did not medal at Grand Nationals.   Avon goes every year to Grand Nationals and is very used to going.  They are used to performing in the stadium and all the other factors that go with a basic home field advantage.   This is a factor, but as some Texas bands like Vandy have shown it is not insurmountable.  

It is harder for the Texas Bands having to travel further to a less familiar environment and less practice time.   Just makes me more proud of the accomplishments of the Texas Bands!

UIL State definitely factors into the decision for bands to go to Grand Nats. The amount of time students would have to miss school in order to do both is probably a dealbreaker for a lot of bands since UIL takes place during the beginning of the school week and Grand Nats is at the end of the school week. That said I hope to see more Texas bands make the trip to Indianapolis more often because it's a great experience to see other bands and perform in a world class venue like Lucas Oil Stadium.

28 minutes ago, bandfan101 said:

Wishful thinking but this season has me very antsy for another woodlands eagle!

I don’t think it’s wishful thinking at all. I believe it’s entirely within the realm of possibility with this year’s Life is a Cabaret show. I think they’ll be duking it out with Flower Mound and Avon for the Eagle. 

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

I don’t think it’s wishful thinking at all. I believe it’s entirely within the realm of possibility with this year’s Life is a Cabaret show. I think they’ll be duking it out with Flower Mound and Avon for the Eagle. 

You think Woodlands over Regan rn? Just curious as I loveeeee their show, and I’m just obsessed with Flomo 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, bandfan101 said:

Wishful thinking but this season has me very antsy for another woodlands eagle!

Maybe, but they're gonna want to work on that frantic closer first! ?

I feel like I can say this for a lot of the top groups this year: make sure that you're reaaally listening side to side, kids, and are nicely centered on that pitch.

On a side note, why aren't the woodwinds playing to the end of TWHS' show? ?

2 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

What’s the Marcus Method?  Being super stressed because they are  learning an entire new (crucial) part of the show at the last minute?  ?

Mmm... It's more like getting an early coat of polish on what you already know, and learning your full show later than most groups. Or maybe Marcus actually did know their full show all those years and just decided not to field it. I don't know the answer to that question!

3 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Mmm... It's more like getting an early coat of polish on what you already know, and learning your full show later than most groups. Or maybe Marcus actually did know their full show all those years and just decided not to field it. I don't know the answer to that question!

Well fortunately they still have a little time to polish this thing and tie it all up in a pretty bow. And we know they will!  ? 

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

What does Dobyns-Bennett look like this year? I didn't fall for that dumb spirit show video on YouTube this time. Go me!

They'll be at the Jacksonville regional tomorrow (or I guess now technically today since it's past midnight) competing against Wando and Harrison, so it'll be a good way to see how those three stack up with each other.

2 hours ago, justabandkid94 said:

So, the Woodlands is taking it back to the approach in mid 2000s/early 10s? haha. 2011 in particular comes to mind...

I mean I graduated from TWHS in 2020 and far as I'm concerned that's the Woodlands way. Back in 17 we were adding things and taking things out while at Indy. Like that whole pre-show meditation? Added before Semis. There's always last second choreography getting added or changed. Also in 2019 we completely redid half our ending after learning most of the drill. 

Edit: Just remembered that in 2015 they didn't play a full run through until the night before San Antonio