Bourbon County H.S., KY 7:30
Anderson County H.S., KY 7:45
Milford H.S., OH 8:00
Norwin H.S., PA 8:15
Franklin H.S., TN 8:30

Exhibition: Murray State University 8:45

Edited by LeanderMomma
Updated with the schedule

Besides the seven (possibly eight) 6A Texas bands attending, the following bands are also more than highly capable of making finals:

Avon HS, IN

Blue Springs HS, MO (rumored to be coming)

Broken Arrow HS, OK

Carmel HS, IN

Dobyns-Bennett HS, TN

Homestead HS, IN

Mason HS, OH

Tarpon Springs HS, FL

(There are also rumors of LD Bell attending).

Craziest GN year to date, hands down.

6 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m going to make a separate thread from the #teamTexas GN thread so we can also have a place to discuss nonTexas bands attending Grand Nationals this fall. :)  The following bands are confirmed.  

(as of  5/3/21):

Ardrey Kell H.S., NC
Avon H.S., IN
Beechwood H.S., KY
Bentonville H.S., AR
Boyle County H.S., KY
Broken Arrow H.S., OK
Bourbon County H.S., KY
Carmel H.S., IN
Center Grove H.S., IN
Centerville H.S., OH
Central Crossing H.S., OH
Central Hardin H.S., KY
Chattahoochee H.S., GA
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Collinsville H.S., IL
Collinsville H.S., OK
Columbus High Schools, IN
Danville H.S., IL
Davenport Central H.S., IN
Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN
Easley H.S., SC
East Clinton H.S., OH
Fishers H.S., IN
Flower Mound H.S., TX
Franklin H.S., TN
Greendale H.S., WI
Greenfield-Central H.S., IN
Hamilton H.S., OH
Hardin Valley Academy, TN
Hollister H.S., MO
Homestead H.S., IN
Jenison H.S., MI
Lake Central H.S., IN
Lakeland H.S., MI
Lakota East H.S., OH
Lawrence Township H.S., IN
Lebanon H.S., OH
Marcus H.S., TX
Miamisburg H.S., OH
Milford H.S., OH
Milton-Union H.S., OH
Morton H.S., IL
Munster H.S., IN
Mustang H.S., OK
Neosho H.S., MO
Noblesville H.S., IN
Norton H.S., OH
Pinecrest Academy of Cadence, NV
Plymouth-Canton E.P., MI
Rockford H.S., MI
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Rosemount H.S., MN
Round Rock H.S., TX
Signal Mountain H.S., TN
Talawanda H.S., OH
Tarpon Springs H.S., FL
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Walter E. Stebbins H.S., OH
William Mason H.S., OH
Wills Point H.S., TX
Windermere H.S., FL

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to Wills Point, but all that I have looked shows that while we have never heard of them in the BOA world, I do not see that they have competed in BOA in DFW (their closest event) or at any BOA event in 2018 or 2019. to think that they are making a trek to Indy without tipping their toes into the BOA realm is not a likely event. - again, no disrespect intended, but I am just not buying that

9 hours ago, banddad84 said:

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to Wills Point, but all that I have looked shows that while we have never heard of them in the BOA world, I do not see that they have competed in BOA in DFW (their closest event) or at any BOA event in 2018 or 2019. to think that they are making a trek to Indy without tipping their toes into the BOA realm is not a likely event. - again, no disrespect intended, but I am just not buying that

I wasn’t including them in my likely finalist list. They are a 4A school and I was referring to the 6A schools attending.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:14 PM, banddad84 said:

I've faced them before in UIL Area, they beat us by one point in 2016 to go to state, and in 2018, we placed higher then them at both Area and State. They are a good program, but I do agree with you on that they may want to start at a contest in DFW and then go for Grand Nationals. Has there been bands that have done this before? Like go to Grand Nationals before competing in other BOA Contests?

55 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I've faced them before in UIL Area, they beat us by one point in 2016 to go to state, and in 2018, we placed higher then them at both Area and State. They are a good program, but I do agree with you on that they may want to start at a contest in DFW and then go for Grand Nationals. Has there been bands that have done this before? Like go to Grand Nationals before competing in other BOA Contests?

not sure if there has been but most directors that are going to Grand Nats want to get in front of the judges a few times in the season to get the judges comments on the show. many times the judges that are at the larger BOA events are also the judges that are at Grand Nats and that input is valuable as BOA does not judge/score the same as the non-BOA or UIL events

21 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

What about when Whitesboro went in 2016?  I don’t remember seeing them before GN at other BOA contests. 

Whitesboro attended BOA Austin in 2016 (finished 30th of 31 Bands) BOA Dallas (finished 29th of 31 Bands) before competing at Grand Nationals (79th of 100 Bands) that year

I do not see that they competed in BOA prior to that or that they have done BOA since that time. it appears that they do non-BOA events like teh HEB marching contest, so I would assume that it was 1 year "dip your toes in" kinda thing. 

1 hour ago, TWHSParent said:

While not a TX band, I think Forest Hills Schools, OH made GN semi-finals in 2019 without attending any other BOA contests.

without a doubt - I am sure that there are many schools such as the ones in the West that do not have much BOA to speak due to where they are located that make the trek - but for a Texas band that has 6 regionals and a super regional within the state would not take advantage of those shows before making that kind of financial investment of Indy. again, just my thoughts

1 hour ago, banddad84 said:

without a doubt - I am sure that there are many schools such as the ones in the West that do not have much BOA to speak due to where they are located that make the trek - but for a Texas band that has 6 regionals and a super regional within the state would not take advantage of those shows before making that kind of financial investment of Indy. again, just my thoughts

I agree. And Forest Hills is in the Cincinnati area, so not that far from Indy. They had 3 or so regionals in 2019 (Louisville, Columbus, and Muncie) within a couple hours, plus the Indy super. They took the trek to GN but it isn't as big a hit as from farther away.

7 hours ago, banddad84 said:

I think you’re speaking from an unnecessarily privileged mindset. A lot of bands like Whitesboro and Wills Point don’t have the sufficient funds to attend the 6 regionals Claudia Taylor Johnson attends yearly and I bet they sure are sorry they don’t have a Whataburger sponsorship to fall back on.

They’re going for the experience, talk to the Whitesboro kids that went in 2016 they loved it. Talk to the Colleyville Heritage kids that went in 2008. It’s not all about the bedazzling final finishes Claudia Taylor Johnson can seemingly fund every two years. You only care about placements not the student experience. You’d take the kids hating marching over a bottom 7 finish at the SASR or a bottom 6 finish at the GN Championships. You only care about placements from your privileged mindset.

If Wills Point has decided to save money to go to Grand Nationals then why are you acting so prissy and passive aggressive about it?

They obviously know that even a class championship is a reach AND THEY DON’T CARE THEY CAR ABOUT THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE UNLIKE YOU!!!!!

CTJ is such a historically accomplished program and yet they still try and put others down. It’s unbelievable it truly is.

• 4 weeks later...